PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Dramas. Plleeease Help.

Strikes
8th September 2007, 12:48 PM
Hi, sorry to bore you all with iTunes dramas, but it is driving me beyond insane and l think l have spent over 10 hours trying to fix it this week. :eek: Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

I keep my iTunes library on an external hard drive, and last weekend l was trying to download a purchase from the iTunes store and an error happened. I think the cord had come loose between the ext hard drive and my powerbook.

In anycase, me trying to fix the situation resulted in duplicating every single track and tv show into my library. I tried to hold 'option' key when opening iTunes to select the library, but same thing happened, duplicates have been copied into the library.

I then purchased iDupe to fix it, and have used it on approx half my library, but have now only relised that about one quarter of the songs have been taken out as dupes when they're not. (might be my fault for not tweaking the settings??).

So basically my library is in shambles. Half is filled with dupes, and the other half is missing plenty of tracks. I was thinking of just erasing it all and then trying to copy the songs off my iPod back into a new iTunes libary using an application.

Does anyone have any suggestions because l am so lost. I'd take it in for service, but l don't know if they can assist with these kind of issues.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the wordy description :)

Aladdin
8th September 2007, 01:13 PM
If you do have your whole (and complete) iTunes library on your iPod, then give Senuti at www.fadingred.org/senuti/ a try.

I'm not sure if all podcast episodes etc all get copied over onto the iPod.

PS: Why did you use the external drive for the iTunes library?

Johnny Appleseed
8th September 2007, 01:14 PM
I was thinking of just erasing it all and then trying to copy the songs off my iPod back into a new iTunes libary using an application.

Sounds like such a mess that this would be the simplest solution - if you have your entire library on the iPod.

PS: Why did you use the external drive for the iTunes library?

It's quite common when people's iTunes library outgrows their internal HD. I do it too.

Strikes
8th September 2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, l really appreciate it. I might just erase it then copy it back from my iPod.

I keep it on an external hard drive because l download lots of shows from the US iTunes store.

Is the easiest way to erase all your tracks just to select them all and then delete? I've also got Apple TV with my unaffected music and TV, so not too sure if that could copy it back to iTunes?

Thanks again, at least l feel better now knowing l haven't stuffed it completely :o

Granny Smith
8th September 2007, 04:48 PM
If you select your library, and then under "View" select "Show duplicates", it at least shows you which tracks are duplicated. You can arrange them by "Date Added" and get rid of either the latest or the oldest versions (depending on whether you want to keep the originals or keep the duplicate versions). A bit long-winded, but maybe worth a try?

teamshaw
8th September 2007, 07:23 PM
If you do end up erasing the library and starting again, it might be better to open iTunes with Option held down, and creating a whole new library. Then you know you are starting from scratch.