PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Macbooks?

doofus
7th September 2007, 10:34 PM
Apple seems to be moving away from the familiar white look of past years.
The white imac is no more. The white shuffle is no more. The white ipod is gone.
What else must go? The mighty mouse is certain to be revamped and I am guessing it won't be white any longer.
The macbook? It is now the only product left with the "old" white look. Will it too pass by and be replaced by the new aluminium look?
I am betting it will, sometime soon. What do you think?

Currawong
7th September 2007, 10:38 PM
No, because many are bought for use by schoolkids. Thick plastic is the go for that.

Huy
7th September 2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah I've got to say, durability of the white plastic means a whole lot to the consumers (not pros).

doofus
7th September 2007, 10:43 PM
No, because many are bought for use by schoolkids. Thick plastic is the go for that.

Perhaps thick aluminium coloured plastic?

Paxton
7th September 2007, 10:43 PM
My Mrs just bought a MacBook (after five years prodding from me), and although it is smaller than my PowerBook, it feels more rugged. I don't know whether it is because the screen is smaller, but the Plastic feels less susceptible to dents, and more scratch/discolour resistant than the Alu-Books are.

The Palm rests on my PowerBook are stuffed - pitting, paint falling off and scratches galore. That won't happen as much on a Plastic Laptop (like my work Dell).

Unless Apple comes out with another exotic metal, iBooks* will stay plastic.

I walked into my local Apple store and asked for an iBook. There is no substitute for good branding/

sighclops
7th September 2007, 11:04 PM
don't think they'll make that change to the macbooks as it will take from the macbook pro (ie. the macbook pro is damn sexy)

iPirate
7th September 2007, 11:09 PM
Either way the screen gets marks from the keys when you are travelling (Any cures for that?)

I reckon the rugged look of the plastic MacBooks is just from the thicker edge around the screen (as opposed tot that thin strip of metal around the MacBook Pro's).

beer.coffee
7th September 2007, 11:12 PM
Either way the screen gets marks from the keys when you are travelling (Any cures for that?)

If you stick your cleaning cloth on your keys that doesn't happen anymore. Thats what i do anyway. Works like a charm.

I hope they never get rid of the white. I thought that i would get sick of my white MacBook after a few months, but every time i look at it i am still in love. I'm usually not a fan of the white, but this thing is damm hot. Marry me white MacBook :o

iSlave
7th September 2007, 11:12 PM
Truly a sad departure from great design to good design.

natakim
7th September 2007, 11:14 PM

that thin foamy insert that comes with the machine stops this apparently.

ClockWork
7th September 2007, 11:58 PM
If all Apple products must show a design identity, my next guess would be black and chrome - a merge of professional and retro.

Edge
8th September 2007, 12:13 AM
...and a continuing influence from industrial design classics, like Braun products from the 70s.

Also, don't forget the white plastic ends of the Cinema Displays (and the current shuffle.)

oddturtle
8th September 2007, 12:37 AM
I loved the minimalistic pure white look. I wish they could retain it but figure out a way to keep it from getting ganked and darkened over time.

vargz
8th September 2007, 09:16 AM
The Macbooks may follow the iMacs - an aluminium body, a glass screen with a black plastic frame (glass would be too heavy for a portable) and white plastic keys.

It'd be a good look :)

gmask1
8th September 2007, 10:10 AM
Ahhhh, I get it! I know what those sly buggers are up to!

Absense (not Absynthe, hehehe) makes the heart grow fonder! I bet Apple are going away from the white, so that they can go back to it, with much fanfare, and make us all buy it in all it's white-ish glory!

Busted! :D

ilostmypassword
8th September 2007, 10:17 AM
Well i'm sitting here looking at my apple cinema display + macpro and i ain't got a problem with aluminum ;)

If the Macbooks were to go silver- just silver mind you- that would be good. iMacs in white = yes- portables that mark when you breath on them = no.

Industrial design is one thing but suitable materials in another. Unfortunately it's one or the other it seems.

iSlayer
8th September 2007, 10:29 AM
White macbooks look better then aluminum ones ever would imo.
No need to make macbooks that look like macbook pros.

semaja2
8th September 2007, 12:30 PM
i want my black carbon macbookpro!!!!

mattcooper
8th September 2007, 12:55 PM
I hope they bring out a new mouse very soon.. Everyone who looks at my new imac thinks the aluminium imac looks awesome and the aluminium keyboard.. but when they look at the mouse there like WTF

doofus
23rd September 2007, 09:25 PM
Latest rumor, seems there may be some truth in the aluminum speculation.
http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543

Geoff3DMN
23rd September 2007, 09:57 PM
Yes I saw that yesterday, but as they say even they aren't sure the rumors aren't about the much anticipated MacBook Pro 'slim line' (or 12/13 inch pro notebook).

If it's a macbook with a new case I'm not particuarly interested, but if it's a new smaller MacBook Pro then I'd definitely be interested :)

iSlayer
23rd September 2007, 10:02 PM
If it's a macbook with a new case I'm not particuarly interested, but if it's a new smaller MacBook Pro then I'd definitely be interested :)

Same here. I still dont see why they would change the current macbooks right now. The rumored 13" mbp makes more sense

beer.coffee
23rd September 2007, 10:06 PM
I must be the only once who really likes the white MacBook....i think it looks damn hot! Glad i bought mine before the this revision.

icant
23rd September 2007, 10:20 PM
As Curra said, they need a rugged machine "for the kids". Which IMHO would be the plastic MacBook.

A smaller machine would probably be priced above to MacBook prices, but not that high. I think it'd be aimed at those who loved the PowerBook 12", and look at Fujitsu/Vaios with envy.

And they could get away with having a new name, e.g. MacBook mini, nano. Not shuffle, since it has a screen. That was one of the problems with the PowerBook/iBook monikers: that the PowerBook G4 12" was essentially a tiny computer, but wasn't quite a PowerBook (no PC card slot, 4:3 poor screen), and yet wasn't an iBook (keyboard, Aluminium).

I wonder if the "new" trackpad could be a small LCD screen.

The Fluffy Duck
23rd September 2007, 10:37 PM
Its the magnetic seal not the lach that makes it feel more ruggerd. Thats my opinion. BUt I do like plastic its not as big a shock to bear skin as aluminium is when sitting on the toliet :(

silverhawk204
24th September 2007, 11:29 AM
there's a rumor of a new macbook coming out sometime soon according to www.macrumors.com.. i'm guessing aluminum.. and white outta the picture..

luotuohua
24th September 2007, 11:35 AM
I must be the only once who really likes the white MacBook....i think it looks damn hot! Glad i bought mine before the this revision.

You and me both. White is bee-yoo-ti-fully hot!

bartron
24th September 2007, 11:40 AM
.... BUt I do like plastic its not as big a shock to bear skin as aluminium is when sitting on the toliet :(

:confused:

sanjay
24th September 2007, 11:42 AM
bring on the new range so i can nab an old macbook at the refurb outlets for super cheap :)

certainly would make sense to release the 13 inch macbook pro around the same time as leopard :)

Bart Smastard
24th September 2007, 12:31 PM
Ahhhh, I get it! I know what those sly buggers are up to!

Absense (not Absynthe, hehehe) makes the heart grow fonder! I bet Apple are going away from the white, so that they can go back to it, with much fanfare, and make us all buy it in all it's white-ish glory!

Busted! :D

If that's the case, maybe the next MacBook will be translucent tangerine :p

shorebuck
24th September 2007, 01:16 PM
just to add 2 cents, i dig the MacBook design over the Pro and old Powerbook/iBook - the magnetic seal and clamp shut gives me more confidence over the Pro - I've had a few open up in bags while on and get rather hot - same with my old ibook - if i had the cash, it'd be Pro all the way but I really do like the design of the Macbook; i'm not as worried "throwing it around" so to speak, just feels a lot more robust.

Dante Kyar
24th September 2007, 01:30 PM
just to add 2 cents, i dig the MacBook design over the Pro and old Powerbook/iBook - the magnetic seal and clamp shut gives me more confidence over the Pro - I've had a few open up in bags while on and get rather hot - same with my old ibook - if i had the cash, it'd be Pro all the way but I really do like the design of the Macbook; i'm not as worried "throwing it around" so to speak, just feels a lot more robust.

my mate got the white macbook for this reason exactly, he wanted something that felt a little more sturdy. I personally love my MPB, but i cant decide if i would prefer a magnetic lid or the latch.

SilverJ
24th September 2007, 09:41 PM
they are good they way they are, alu for pros and white/black for consumers. As far as dints go for the MBP's etc, if you have spent that much on it already then I am sure you all have good quality slip cases and bags to protect it in. Just don't drop it! :-D

Dubhousing
24th September 2007, 10:01 PM
The Palm rests on my PowerBook are stuffed - pitting, paint falling off and scratches galore. That won't happen as much on a Plastic Laptop (like my work Dell). [/size]

Sounds like you need a wrist rug (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php?category=pb). I have used them for years, they are brilliant.

Phase
24th September 2007, 10:08 PM
BUt I do like plastic its not as big a shock to bear skin as aluminium is when sitting on the toliet :(

Wait wait.

What? :confused:

sanjay
24th September 2007, 10:11 PM

they may feel robust but they look like shit after just a few weeks of daily use in a uni environment or similar. scratches all over the shiny surfaces and marks on the palmrests, its terrible. my ibook too has sustained similar damage but i paid bugger all for that, so i dont really care. macbook on the other hand - the fact that it was so prone to being damaged was the reason i never took it out the house and as such let it go. :)

qwijibo
25th September 2007, 03:16 AM
If that's the case, maybe the next MacBook will be translucent tangerine :p
.. or blueberry or strawberry or grape or whatever.

Personally, I'm waiting for the diamond coated obsidian edition.

doofus
1st December 2007, 10:07 PM
Looks like they are going to make an appearance next year
www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/30 piper_ups_likelihood_of_ultra_portable_at_macworld _comments_on_iphone.html

bubbles_r_us
2nd December 2007, 08:39 AM
I hope they don't go aluminium. Half the reason I got a MacBook was because they look SO nice white. Besides, in my opinion white is like an icon of Apple

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 10:18 AM
dude its more of a 13" MBP, not a macbook replacement

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 10:28 AM
dude its more of a 13" MBP, not a macbook replacement

Apple won't try that again.

Anyone who remembers the 12" Powerbook remembers you can't fit power into something that small.

If they could make a more powerful 13" they'd probably already have more powerful macbooks.

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 10:39 AM
Apple won't try that again.

Anyone who remembers the 12" Powerbook remembers you can't fit power into something that small.

If they could make a more powerful 13" they'd probably already have more powerful macbooks.

ah the macbooks already have a 2.2ghz....same as the 15" MBP ...so thats not an issue.

my main point is that i dont see the new 13" replacing the macbooks, but rather an ultra portable MBP.

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 10:42 AM
ah the macbooks already have a 2.2ghz....same as the 15" MBP ...so thats not an issue.

my main point is that i dont see the new 13" replacing the macbooks, but rather an ultra portable MBP.

Let me know when you can shoehorn a powerful GPU into a tight package and have it run cool.

They've already got problems with the 15 and 17" macbook pro's being warm.

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 10:46 AM
Let me know when you can shoehorn a powerful GPU into a tight package and have it run cool.

They've already got problems with the 15 and 17" macbook pro's being warm.

you have a good point, they will most likely use a intel GMA etc in the new 13" portable.

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 10:51 AM
you have a good point, they will most likely use a intel GMA etc in the new 13" portable.

So basically, what they're gonna do - is put a pro sticker on a macbook?

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 10:59 AM
So basically, what they're gonna do - is put a pro sticker on a macbook?

maybe they wont call it pro, maybe "macbook portable" ...but there's no way they will replace the macbook, with no cd/dvd drive.

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 11:00 AM
i personally hate the look of the current macbooks, with the fat bevel etc, but i would love a little slim-line aluminum 13".

Geoff3DMN
2nd December 2007, 12:16 PM

It doesn't have to be a 'powerful GPU' it just needs to be discrete video.

Something like the 8400M GS (mobile version graphics chipset) would still be much preferable to integrated graphics, won't use much power and doesn't create much heat.

*edit*

look at this to see what I'm talking about (and this is the later more powerful 7150 integrated graphics which is already faster than the current macbook integrated solution with the 8400GS).

http://shyamkol.blogspot.com/2007/10/mcp73-integrated-graphics-vs-8400gs.html

And relative rankings here

http://kettya.com/notebook2/gpu_ranking_mark05_xp.htm

BrettJohn
2nd December 2007, 01:27 PM
as much as i would like to see an alu macbook i hope it never happens.
there should be a difference between the consumer and the pro ranges.
i think a lot of pro consumers wouldn't see the pro line as so lucrative if the macbook looked similar.

probably sounds stupid but when dropping an extra few thousand on a machine the prosumers like to feel they have something a class above :thumbup:

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 01:49 PM
It doesn't have to be a 'powerful GPU' it just needs to be discrete video.

Something like the 8400M GS (mobile version graphics chipset) would still be much preferable to integrated graphics, won't use much power and doesn't create much heat.

*edit*

look at this to see what I'm talking about (and this is the later more powerful 7150 integrated graphics which is already faster than the current macbook integrated solution with the 8400GS).

http://shyamkol.blogspot.com/2007/10/mcp73-integrated-graphics-vs-8400gs.html

And relative rankings here

http://kettya.com/notebook2/gpu_ranking_mark05_xp.htm

It will still use more power than the GPU integrated into the chipset, and apple doesn't care about 3d performance on such a machine because their target markets are home users (not gamers) and pro users for multimedia work. to build a machine that might be in the middle wouldn't make any sense, apple has had just pro and consumer for a long time. They also couldn't care less about gamers.

TheWatchman
2nd December 2007, 03:31 PM
as much as i would like to see an alu macbook i hope it never happens.
there should be a difference between the consumer and the pro ranges.
i think a lot of pro consumers wouldn't see the pro line as so lucrative if the macbook looked similar.

probably sounds stupid but when dropping an extra few thousand on a machine the prosumers like to feel they have something a class above :thumbup:

Or you just bought your MBP over the MB for looks and you are trying to justify why the macbook shouldn't be aluminium just so you don't feel bad about spending an extra few thousand on an aluminium case :)

I think a 12" MBP would be interesting. I think what they will do (from what I've read) is drop the superdrive and just have an external drive for it that comes with it by default (how else are you going to be able to install things on there?)

BrettJohn
2nd December 2007, 05:11 PM
Or you just bought your MBP over the MB for looks and you are trying to justify why the macbook shouldn't be aluminium just so you don't feel bad about spending an extra few thousand on an aluminium case :)

I think a 12" MBP would be interesting. I think what they will do (from what I've read) is drop the superdrive and just have an external drive for it that comes with it by default (how else are you going to be able to install things on there?)

lol na i had to get the MBP for the dedicated graphics and processor. had mine for almost a year now. also had a blackbook but sold it for the cinema display which i need for work. i'm a graphic designer so needed the better machine and more screen real estate

i actually like the macbooks but i know a few people here at work who would get shitty if the macbooks went aluminum. :cool:

dolbinau
2nd December 2007, 05:19 PM
iPods = Aluminium (kind of)

iMac = Aluminium

MacBook Pro = Aluminium

Mac Pro = Aluminium

AppleTV = Aluminium

Mac Mini = Aluminium

I think MacBooks will have to turn Aluminium at some point.

Domenic
2nd December 2007, 05:57 PM
I'm outraged! I've been saving up for the rather nice, if I do say so myself, black macbook and they decide to change it to aluminium? And what's all this about no CD drive? Apple are going to fall and crash if they start leaving out the necessary things people need in a laptop. I hope they do include a CD/DVD drive...

OH NO! This is all part of apple's plan to get more money! "Get the NEW APPLE PORTABLE! IT'S SO THIN, IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A CD DRIVE!! IF YOU WANT ONE, GET THE 2 MILLION DOLLAR PRO VERSION!"

NOO I Can't have apple turning into microsoft!

Geoff3DMN
2nd December 2007, 06:10 PM
It will still use more power than the GPU integrated into the chipset, and apple doesn't care about 3d performance on such a machine because their target markets are home users (not gamers) and pro users for multimedia work.

The amount of extra power used over integrated graphics for an 8400M GS is very minimal and
MacBook Pros have always had discrete graphics.

If they make a mini aluminium Powerbook then it should have discrete video because it's the more 'Power' solution and integrated video is strictly a budget solution and the budget line is the MacBook range not the MacBook Pro range.

The MacBook with integrated graphics is still (and will still be) available for non power users who don't need discrete video, why make another 13 inch laptop that'll be no better than a MacBook?!

Sure they could do a halfway house I suppose... aluminium case, integrated graphics but it'd be a pretty poor 'power' laptop (which is what the MacBook Pro is meant to be). :thumbdn:

*edit* Oh... and home users are also game users in most cases ;)

dolbinau
2nd December 2007, 06:20 PM
The 12" PowerBook was dumbed down from the bigger PB line (no backlight keyboard, worse graphics) so It wouldn't surprise me if Apple were to do it again.

TheWatchman
2nd December 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm outraged! I've been saving up for the rather nice, if I do say so myself, black macbook and they decide to change it to aluminium? And what's all this about no CD drive? Apple are going to fall and crash if they start leaving out the necessary things people need in a laptop. I hope they do include a CD/DVD drive...

OH NO! This is all part of apple's plan to get more money! "Get the NEW APPLE PORTABLE! IT'S SO THIN, IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A CD DRIVE!! IF YOU WANT ONE, GET THE 2 MILLION DOLLAR PRO VERSION!"

NOO I Can't have apple turning into microsoft!

Calm down mate I think they are just going to add not detract from the current lineup of macs, macbook aint changing anytime soon if you ask me, it sells too well!

timwallG5
2nd December 2007, 07:32 PM
An aluminium 13" MacBook could get red hot with dedicated 256MB graphics and whatnot churning away inside. Users of the 12" PowerBook might remember how hot it could get on an unprotected lap...

It would be a nice addition to the Mac lineup, but they would be silly to toss away the polycarbonate design, as it's built to stand up to the kind of crap dealt to it by most school students. Aluminium would dent.

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 07:37 PM
you guys keep saying the plastic is strong, but my macbook got a big crack where my palm rests after only a few months, not to mention a million scratches on the top

MrJesseRoss
2nd December 2007, 07:42 PM
Calm down mate I think they are just going to add not detract from the current lineup of macs, macbook aint changing anytime soon if you ask me, it sells too well!

Hi, let me introduce you to my good friend, sarcasm. ;)

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 07:47 PM
The amount of extra power used over integrated graphics for an 8400M GS is very minimal and
MacBook Pros have always had discrete graphics.

If they make a mini aluminium Powerbook then it should have discrete video because it's the more 'Power' solution and integrated video is strictly a budget solution and the budget line is the MacBook range not the MacBook Pro range.

The MacBook with integrated graphics is still (and will still be) available for non power users who don't need discrete video, why make another 13 inch laptop that'll be no better than a MacBook?!

Sure they could do a halfway house I suppose... aluminium case, integrated graphics but it'd be a pretty poor 'power' laptop (which is what the MacBook Pro is meant to be). :thumbdn:

*edit* Oh... and home users are also game users in most cases ;)

An 8400 would make it a poorer performer than the current macbook pro.
3dMark for 8600GT in the current macbook pro: 6169
3dMark for 8400GS: 3418
3dMark for the x1600 Mobility in my core2duo macbook pro: 2879
3dMark for the previous gen 13" macbooks, intel GMA950 - Intel 945 Chipset: 481

And it doesn't matter that home users are gamers, find me any apple product aimed at gamers.

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 07:49 PM
well lets hope that the room saved from ditching the dvd drive will be used for a decent video card... i just want to plug the thing into my 30" at native res

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 07:54 PM
otherwise something like this would suffice.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/11/logan_lape.jpg

TheWatchman
2nd December 2007, 07:57 PM
who wouldn't buy that?

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 07:59 PM
Someone who wishes to type up anything or browse the net heavily?

I find the keyboard on my iPhone annoying enough, in that particular concept there is an external keyboard and mouse but what about when you're out and about?

tripwu
2nd December 2007, 08:03 PM
i take my apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse with me everywhere... i think the new bluetooth keyboard is my favorite gadget for the year.

forgie
2nd December 2007, 08:58 PM
An 8400 would make it a poorer performer than the current macbook pro.
3dMark for 8600GT in the current macbook pro: 6169
3dMark for 8400GS: 3418
3dMark for the x1600 Mobility in my core2duo macbook pro: 2879
3dMark for the previous gen 13" macbooks, intel GMA950 - Intel 945 Chipset: 481
And that's why Apple would be crazy not to put a low-end discrete GPU in there instead of an integrated GPU.

rickyd
5th December 2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like they're conjuring something up. (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/04/apple-ordering-led-backlit-displays-ahead-of-rumored-subnotebook-launch)

andrew.wilson
5th December 2007, 02:12 PM
In my opinion, there is no way that Apple is going to just make another 13 inch notebook but Al and thinner...thats not creative enough, I'd expect that out of Dell or someone, not STEVE JOBS!

I think its going to be revolutionary, something super cool that will no doubt result in me saying bye bye to my bank balance.... Touch is the way of the future, I am thinking more and more we will be seeing some kind of touch device...lets hope we dont need a ridiculously priced plan to buy it :p

9 to 5 Mac (who seem to get a lot of corrent information) are hinting at something big:

First piece of 13 inch XXXXbook becomes apparent
Submitted by Cleve Nettles on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 17:26.

Digitimes is reporting that Apple just bought 90,000 (more expensive) 13.3 inch LED displays. We have no idea what Apple is going to use those things for.

Expect some more surprises in the coming weeks as Apple's partners ramp up production of their new hybrid laptop/tablet device.

Oh, and don't expect Digitimes to find an OEM that is making a trackpad for this thing btw ;-)

http://9to5mac.com/apple-13-inch-touchbook-pro-432234562

MacWorld should be exciting :)

Bart Smastard
5th December 2007, 02:50 PM
On just about all the Apple news sites today I've been reading about the rumour from DigiTimes about Apple buying up 13" displays with LED backlight units (BLU) and every one of them claims the displays are for an new light-weight portable. But maybe they're all wrong and the BLUs are for the black and white MacBooks.

Geoff3DMN
5th December 2007, 03:04 PM
And that's why Apple would be crazy not to put a low-end discrete GPU in there instead of an integrated GPU.

Indeed this is true, it's a very low cost addition that adds significant versatility.

Will they do it? No idea.

Is it a mistake if they don't? No question that it is.