PDA

View Full Version : iPhones receive massive price cuts, 4gb model dropped

iSlayer
6th September 2007, 07:13 AM
Apple have cut the price of both iPhone models by $200 USD. The 4gb model is now only $299 USD and the 8gb model only $399.
The 4gb model is being discontinued so stock is limited.

Alec Fraser
6th September 2007, 07:39 AM
Now it just sounds like they're competing with themselves! I'd probably go for a touch over an iPhone now...and I'm guessing a lot of people would...hence the price cut to keep it in the game.

Quamen
6th September 2007, 07:52 AM
This is painful, got my iPhone yesterday. Oh well.

/me continues his merry way hacking the iPhone to pieces.

iSlave
6th September 2007, 08:00 AM
I'll wait. iPhone is looking more appealing. $399 US is excellent and no more 4GB may translate to new version at 16GB. I believe Australia will benefit from the earlier US release of this product.

stin
6th September 2007, 08:16 AM
this question has probably been asked 1000 odd times - what is the cheapest way to get one? eBay is pricey, is someone willing to act as a relay for me for the US apple store? or anyone know of a working way to buy off the US apple store?

OziMac
6th September 2007, 08:16 AM
Yeah, this is great in general but extremely painful for us early adopters - $100 I can live with, but $200 is one damn sour apple.

At least it settles one thing - I won't be selling my second one after all, and my girlfriend will be mighty happy with it instead. ;)

walexx
6th September 2007, 08:29 AM
I got my mate in the states to get me a refurb 8gig a week ago, he just contacted applestore and got a $150.00 refund. My 8gig refurb now cost me $349.00 (plus 8% tax) which is about $415.00 AUD or so.

A lot of people are feeling pretty burnt with the price drop, but I couldnt be happier. Its all in the timing :).

OziMac
6th September 2007, 08:35 AM
Good on you then.

Alessiman
6th September 2007, 08:41 AM
this question has probably been asked 1000 odd times - what is the cheapest way to get one? eBay is pricey, is someone willing to act as a relay for me for the US apple store? or anyone know of a working way to buy off the US apple store?

Well I woke up. Saw the price drop. Rang my work and hand them order and send one out to me in Australia. They will also send it via Fed Ex :)

the_cripple
6th September 2007, 09:11 AM
At $399 i'm tempted, if I can get one for $399 (not an inflated priced one off ebay).

Tiprya
6th September 2007, 09:23 AM
I got my mate in the states to get me a refurb 8gig a week ago, he just contacted applestore and got a $150.00 refund. My 8gig refurb now cost me $349.00 (plus 8% tax) which is about $415.00 AUD or so.

A lot of people are feeling pretty burnt with the price drop, but I couldnt be happier. Its all in the timing :).

Nice math - 350 + 8% tax is $378 Which is $460 AUD - exchange rates havn't changed that much - In fact they've come up in the last 2 weeks so you're likely down more than this

I know youre justifying it but, yeah...

walexx
6th September 2007, 10:02 AM
Oooops yeah, didnt I stuff that up. Yeah I meant to type in 485 or so which is what I figure depending on paypals fees, and the exchange rate Im charged. Still, its a lot cheaper than anything else out there.

You gotta remember, there are other phone out there that does exactly what the iPhone does, so feature for feature, the iPhone isnt that far in front. The difference however is its, not what the iPhone does, but how it does it !.

Having already had an iPhone which I sold for a profit, I know what a great product this is and which is why Im eager to get another one.

I think it wont be too long though before we see a 16gig 3g model. The 8gig cant be sitting there as a solo iPhone offering for too long.

nbetts
6th September 2007, 10:42 AM
i think commercially this is a very stupid decision.

Next time apple release a product people may very well hang on for a month until Apple do a price drop.

What they are saying is "hey here is a great new product, buy it next month and you save 30%"

iSlayer
6th September 2007, 10:43 AM
There is always a new model or price cut around the corner.

OziMac
6th September 2007, 10:47 AM
Sure iSlayer, but come on - 33% in 2 months is a bit rich, even for Apple.

When MS tried to pull that shit here with the original Xbox, the ACCC bitch slapped them into refunding the difference to the people who bought in the few months prior to the drop.

Early adopters always take a hit, but this is ridiculous. If the new iMacs went from $2600 to $1700 in a couple of weeks, a lot of people would also be justifiably annoyed.

nbetts
6th September 2007, 11:01 AM
I agree. A minor price drop not long adter a release can be acceptable. But Apple are wiping 33% off the value of the iPhone...

What does this do for other markets they are going to break into? It could promote a dont buy now buy later mindset... and the same could go with the latest ipod line ups, heck are apple going to sell them at 30% off in a few weeks?

What this also indicates (which i dont know i would want that going to the market) is just how much money Apple has been making off the iPhone if they can afford to wipe $200 off the retail price and still pull in a good profit...

mwot
6th September 2007, 11:11 AM
the new iPod Touch probably shares alot of the same components that went into the iPhone. hence, Apple would be ordering significantly more of the same components, which in turn will drive down unit price.

if so, Apple are simply passing on some cost savings on the iPhones, knowing that the new iPod will take off like wildfire.

what i find interesting is that the maximum hdd size in iPods has lost emphasis ... perhaps reflecting the trend that people don't care to carry around their entire media library around with them now? when i bought my first one, a 3g 40gb, i rationalised (aka rational-lies) i'd used it as a portable storage device as well - which i did, until my iTunes library exceeded 40gb!

OziMac
6th September 2007, 11:12 AM
On top of that nbetts, you've got to wonder - the 3g iPhone is due soon, probably on September 25 at the Apple Expo Paris.

What's the point of buying now if they're going to supersede their current models now? A lot of people might be enticed by the price drop only to have a significantly upgraded version out in a couple of weeks (let's not kid about it, 3g will be a huge positive change for the iPhone).

It's this kind of uncertainty that's not a good thing for them - I usually love the price drops which are usually months/years overdue, but to spring one so insanely quickly on such a high profile product is seriously going to have a chilling affect on initial sales in the future.

But I'm glad it'll sell more iPhones - and perhaps speed up their proper introduction here.

nbetts
6th September 2007, 11:29 AM
I recall reading an article a while ago from a french research company that stated the chips used inthe iPhone are already 3G compliant and may just require a firmware upgrade so enable the current production line of iPhones to be 3G.

Bearing that in mid it is all starting to click into place... basically the iPhone and Iphone touch are all the same device. Apple commisions a couple of million of these devices to be made and its just a matter of different firmwares being installed to enable whatever feateres are reqires.. yes the iPhone touch doesnt have a speaker or mic but thats pretty much casings, less investment than the internal mechanisms. So what Apple dont have to do is start an entire new production line of 3G phones... they have already made them.... this could then lead to the significant levels in price drop as we know demand has now been set for these devices.

But all of that does not make such a significant price drop too palatable for consumers... would i have still bought my iphone 2 months ago?? probably not.

uncyherb
6th September 2007, 11:37 AM
There is always a new model or price cut around the corner.

Yep... I'm waiting until they drop the iPhone for a completely new model, then I'll buy one knowing it'll never be superseded!;)

Mikey D
6th September 2007, 11:42 AM
No, i disagree. While the camera is there for the iPhone, typically 3G phones have a user-facing camera with which to do voice calls, something that doesn't currently exist on the iPhone.

I highly doubt apple would consider some kind of non-sleek mirror system, so this tells me that it's going to be new (or perhaps revised) hardware at the very least.

Rumor has it that the 3G iPhone will slot into the now vacated US$599 slot, perhaps even as early as the end of the month (iPhone release in europe?).

This wait and see cycle never ends! ;)

mechcon
6th September 2007, 12:16 PM
what rumor? where? bonk! BONK I SAY!

Nevertheless, what better way to utilise dual cameras than with iChat? mark my words, IT WILL HAPPEN! :P imagine being able to video conference from a 3g iPhone to someone on a mac!? YEAH!

themacuser
6th September 2007, 01:07 PM
iChat on a mobile would be quite cool. I've done a video call across two 3 phones, and it worked quite nicely. On an iPhone, that would be cool.

sanjay
6th September 2007, 01:26 PM
meh, all this talk about price drops - im just pissed the new ipod classic has slashed the resale value of my ipod videos by 20 - 30% :(

luke_in_tas
7th September 2007, 06:37 AM
From http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/:

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs
Apple CEO

Kuma
7th September 2007, 06:39 AM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=36409

1hr ahead of ya luke:D

luke_in_tas
7th September 2007, 06:42 AM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=36409

1hr ahead of ya luke:D

Doh! I thought I was the first to spot something for a change :)