PDA

View Full Version : Which iPod will you be getting?

BlowMeDown
6th September 2007, 05:06 AM
So now we have a plethora of choice when it comes to the iPod. I really thought I'd rush to get the iPod touch but now I'm not that sure (or is it the waiting a few weeks that's got me re-considering?)

Which iPod will you be getting?

W9cae
6th September 2007, 05:08 AM
I am just wondering what the ebay iPhone sales will be like now with the $200 price drop. I think I will stick with my video for a spell longer.

Kuma
6th September 2007, 05:25 AM
16gb iTouch just ordered...
will be getting iPhone when it gets here next year...

now Im going to bed.

akdovdotcom
6th September 2007, 05:29 AM
I'm of two minds...either the Touch, or the Classic. Storage capicity is not an issue for me.

Knowing me I'll probably purchase a new nano (after checking them out first hand) and one of the Classics or Touchs (or is it Touches?).

BlowMeDown
6th September 2007, 05:31 AM
Wow $549 for the iPod Touch. Considering I have 20GB of music and videos on my iPod now I'm not too sure if I want the Touch. I like to have all my music with me and I never use my iPod to watch movies.

I think the concept is nice and obviously inevitable, but at this stage I'm not too sure I want to fork out $549 for 16GB iPod. I understand the capacity thing is pretty darn good considering it's flash based and it's a major break through for Apple to release it. It's a beautiful device, but when I stop to think about it, for me, will it really be the kind of device that I will fully utilise as opposed to say the regular iPod (now called Classic).

So I think I'll get myself a Classic.

Ben™
6th September 2007, 05:56 AM
Ordered a 16gb Touch

scruffie
6th September 2007, 05:57 AM
ooh ooh - its gonna be a nano or a classic for me!

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 06:00 AM
So now we have a plethora of choice when it comes to the iPod. I really thought I'd rush to get the iPod touch but now I'm not that sure (or is it the waiting a few weeks that's got me re-considering?)

same here, I want to make sure it works with my ipod kit in my car first before I buy any of them.. I like the ipod touch though.. it looks cool!

decryption
6th September 2007, 06:11 AM
16GB iPod Touch - how can you not love that interface and 8mm thick? :D

Dante Kyar
6th September 2007, 06:25 AM
it really gets me thinking... why wouldnt i wait for a larger storage iphone by the time it comes out to aus... then on the other hand, what if i bought the ipod touch now and bought an iphone later. I wish they included email on the ipod touch. Also, i dont tend to watch movies on my ipod atm, so would i watch more on my ipod touch??

nicwithsticks
6th September 2007, 06:28 AM
I'd love a 16Gb Touch. That thing is one hot piece of merchandise.

And with all the extra apps it's going to get when people bring the iPhone app installer over, it's going to be amazing.

Good times are ahead methinks. Now if only I could stop myself from ordering anything until the iPhone next year...

entropy
6th September 2007, 06:35 AM
http://images.apple.com/ipodshuffle/images/shuffle04_02_20070905.jpg

Galumay
6th September 2007, 06:37 AM
it will be interesting to see what the verdict is once the hype dies down. what would you really use an iPod touche for?? wifi access will be hit and miss, its not a PDA, its not a laptop, its not a phone, its not even really an iPod with so little storage.

in thinking about how i use a mobile phone, my iPod and my laptops i cant really see a place for it - sure it looks amazing and i am sure the touch screen is amazing - i just wonder when i would use it?

Dante Kyar
6th September 2007, 06:38 AM
I'd love a 16Gb Touch. That thing is one hot piece of merchandise.

And with all the extra apps it's going to get when people bring the iPhone app installer over, it's going to be amazing.

Good times are ahead methinks. Now if only I could stop myself from ordering anything until the iPhone next year...

whats this iphone app installer?

BLINDER
6th September 2007, 06:38 AM
it really gets me thinking... why wouldnt i wait for a larger storage iphone by the time it comes out to aus... then on the other hand, what if i bought the ipod touch now and bought an iphone later. I wish they included email on the ipod touch. Also, i dont tend to watch movies on my ipod atm, so would i watch more on my ipod touch??

Got to agree wi/ Nathanh here.
The iPhone will have all that the touch does and more besides.
So if I was in the market for anew iPod I'd grab the classic and settle on waiting for the phone down the track.

BlowMeDown
6th September 2007, 06:43 AM
it will be interesting to see what the verdict is once the hype dies down. what would you really use an iPod touche for?? wifi access will be hit and miss, its not a PDA, its not a laptop, its not a phone, its not even really an iPod with so little storage.

in thinking about how i use a mobile phone, my iPod and my laptops i cant really see a place for it - sure it looks amazing and i am sure the touch screen is amazing - i just wonder when i would use it?

Yea I agree. That's exactly what I was thinking when I placed my order. I got all caught up in the hype, but when I had a rethink along the lines of what you mention the Classic was the better choice for me. Besides when the iPhone does come to Australia I'll be getting one.

muddie@mac.com
6th September 2007, 06:58 AM
I was hoping to sell my 30G iPod Video and get a touch screen iPod but they have made sure I can't do that for 2 reasons. First all the games I have purchased would be useless to me and with only 16Gb that's only half my music collection let alone any space for video. I'm really bummed, cause I want an iPod touch but I will now have to buy it in addition to my iPod video rather than instead of, which means no financial subsidy on the price. This is going to be harder to get past the finance comity.

grorr76
6th September 2007, 07:00 AM
16gb touch all the wayyyyyyy..... iphone doesnt interest me, unless it has reasnable plans when it hits australia, which i doubt, i think it will be a very expensive thing to run.

DJY
6th September 2007, 07:04 AM
Was about to buy an iPod touch, when I saw the estimated shipping date....
"by Sept 28". So I might think about it for a few days.

Maybe I should get one of each and try them all - nano, classic, and touch!?!??!
Whilst I wait for the iPhone that is!

If only I could afford that option!

Anyone know if you can add and amend iCal/Contact entries in the iPhone touch?
That in itself might push me over the edge... as a dry run for the iPhone.

With WiFi (and web based email) + iCal + Contacts that is a start...
oh yeah and a very cool interface!

Gerbils
6th September 2007, 07:07 AM
I will be waiting for a 60gb iPod Touch!

arkenstone
6th September 2007, 07:22 AM
Any ideas when the .au site will be updated?

Pretty tempted by the touch..

Gerbils
6th September 2007, 07:25 AM
The new iPods are already in the Aus store.

Dubhousing
6th September 2007, 07:31 AM
i'm getting the 160gb classic

Alec Fraser
6th September 2007, 07:42 AM
I wish they included email on the ipod touch.

I thought the same...then I figured, what the hell...if I've got a net connection, I'll have webmail access so that should be good enough.

queraxus
6th September 2007, 07:44 AM
16GB iPod Touch - how can you not love that interface and 8mm thick? :D

The fact that its pitiful storage makes it an expensive paperweight.

It's all looks and no substance.

grorr76
6th September 2007, 07:46 AM
I thought the same...then I figured, what the hell...if I've got a net connection, I'll have webmail access so that should be good enough.

going on whats happened with the iphone someone will most likely hack it and add email.

Alec Fraser
6th September 2007, 07:48 AM
I can't decide. I honestly can't decide. I'm trying to work out how to reallocate my 80gig and my nano to justify a Touch.

Does anyone else have "You got the touch [dun duuuuu du dun] you've got the powah!" running through their heads? Sorry...too much old school Transformers movie action recently.

Quamen
6th September 2007, 07:48 AM
The fact that its pitiful storage makes it an expensive paperweight.

It's all looks and no substance.

You obviously haven't played with an iPhone then. The user interface makes the device. It is the best part of the whole package. Lots of substance there.

Alec Fraser
6th September 2007, 07:49 AM
going on whats happened with the iphone someone will most likely hack it and add email.

Even if they do, I don't think I'd bother hacking it.

Rayd
6th September 2007, 07:53 AM
im so torn bettween the ipod touch and the ipod classic.. the classic would be sweet coz i have a 80gb music library, and a hefty video library, but the ipod touch is just a sikkkk conceptt!
the thought of just whippin out the ipod, listen to some tunes and surfin the web is just too much :P

ill probably wait for some hands on reviews of both devices before making a decision

Alessiman
6th September 2007, 07:58 AM
This ones a no brainer. I am getting a nano for gym and aerobics when I teach. I am going to get work to ship me an iphone from Chicago HQ now that the price has dropped so much.

About the only time I love to work for a U.S based company

TheKeddi
6th September 2007, 08:00 AM
I think i'll get the new nano till the iPhone comes out, Can't see the worth of getting half a product?

I was sooo excited about i until they released it and I thought about it, but I wouldn't mind a bit of video for my podcasts and i don't like the bigger iPods and I love the nano I have so I think I'll order a new one today!

queraxus
6th September 2007, 08:04 AM
You obviously haven't played with an iPhone then. The user interface makes the device. It is the best part of the whole package. Lots of substance there.

No I haven't been caught up in the iPhone hysteria. The worlds greatest UI doesn't disguise the fact that I would only be able to put a fraction of my iTunes library on it. To me, it's a flashy, but useless toy.

MrJesseRoss
6th September 2007, 08:08 AM
I'm not getting any of the new iPods because my 80GB 5.5G iPod does all I need, and holds all my stuff. But if I were to get a new one, it would definitely be the 16GB Touch. Man, does that thing look good. Especially the Wi-Fi iTunes Store and ability to web it up wherever.

admiral31
6th September 2007, 08:11 AM
The Touch has the “wow” factor, that's for sure. But if I step back and really think about what I need, and what I use it for, I think I will go for the 80GB classic. Will be a sweet upgrade from my 4G 40GB.

How long until we see accessories for the new models, in particular covers/cases, do you think?

oneplusone
6th September 2007, 08:12 AM
i'm getting the 160gb classic

Add me to this list.....

oneplusone
6th September 2007, 08:13 AM
The Touch has the “wow” factor, that's for sure. But if I step back and really think about what I need, and what I use it for, I think I will go for the 80GB classic. Will be a sweet upgrade from my 4G 40GB.

How long until we see accessories for the new models, in particular covers/cases, do you think?

Probably about 5 hours...

nortonjg
6th September 2007, 08:17 AM
does the radio remote work with the iPod touch? doesnt look like it does is radio built in?

cgollner
6th September 2007, 08:27 AM
The iPod Touch for me, when and only when they get bigger sizes. Of my 80gigger now I have 4 gig free. So 16gig just doesn't cut the mustard. Nice iPod though.

Rayd
6th September 2007, 08:33 AM
does the ipod touch have built in speakers like the iphone??

areal
6th September 2007, 08:37 AM
It doesn't look like it. The speakers are great for browsing and YouTube and for feedback while typing, but most people probably won't care.

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 08:48 AM

LETS MAKE A POLL!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=815838

Rayd
6th September 2007, 09:04 AM
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=815826

owned.

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 09:05 AM
what an intelligent response... try the poll here

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=815838

smilne360
6th September 2007, 09:09 AM
was that a pricedrop on the aus prce of the shuffles? i might get annother colour...

jeremy_warnock
6th September 2007, 09:09 AM
ahh I think my current 80G still has legs. Maybe once the touch gets decent capacity - I have 16Gig flash drive.

Touch is a nice upgrade but for me not a must have, like the video ipod was when I had an old 40G 4 gen black and white

decryption
6th September 2007, 09:13 AM
Just ordered the 16GB Touch over at CompNow RMIT. Let's see when it arrives :D

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 09:14 AM
was that a pricedrop on the aus prce of the shuffles? i might get annother colour...

yes they are 99 now... had a 20 dollar price drop

iSlave
6th September 2007, 09:15 AM
Just ordered the 16GB Touch over at CompNow RMIT. Let's see when it arrives :D

Will you review it for the site?

warren21
6th September 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm going to wait. I'd love an iPod Touch but it'll be updated in 6 months time again with bigger storage and a new design knowing Apple. There have been so many incarnations of the iPod it's hard to keep up. The iPhone shouldn't be to long off our shores. Everyone keeps complaining about the storage size of the touch and how disappointed they are with it. Don't forget it is flash based and takes a lot to run that UI. Give it a couple years and it will mature into what you want.

melbmac
6th September 2007, 09:23 AM
Maybe a nano for my trip to Japan, not sure if it will get here in time tho (I leave on the 13th)...

iSlave
6th September 2007, 09:26 AM
I can't see a problem with capacity on the iTouch. 8GB is massive let alone 16GB. How much media can you or should you take in one session for it to be healthy or outlast the battery. I see iPods as a peripheral to a Mac and given the amount of time I spend in front of the computer, I can hardly complain about the little effort to change the content of my iPod. I'm laying my money on the Australian release of the iPhone being or having a 16GB option. Either way it's definately worth the wait. I wouldn't count on HDD's being integrated into touch screen units. IMO it will be higher capacity flash. :thumbup:

lavo
6th September 2007, 09:29 AM
If the touch gets the same hacks as the iPhone, it will *almost* replace my laptop. I only use it for email and web surfing most of the time. It means I can ditch a heavy Powerbook and just go back to use my slingpack instead :-)

areal
6th September 2007, 09:32 AM
If the touch gets the same hacks as the iPhone, it will *almost* replace my laptop. I only use it for email and web surfing most of the time. It means I can ditch a heavy Powerbook and just go back to use my slingpack instead :-)

That is what I have done. I prefer to use a desktop and they are better value, so I have an iMac at work, an iMac at home, and an iPhone for everywhere else. I borrow my girlfriend's BlackBook only when I need to give a presentation.

Oh, speaking of which, does the iPod touch have video out?

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 09:33 AM
That is what I have done. I prefer to use a desktop and they are better value, so I have an iMac at work, an iMac at home, and an iPhone for everywhere else. I borrow my girlfriend's BlackBook only when I need to give a presentation.

YES IT DOES, unlike iphone which does not!

areal
6th September 2007, 09:38 AM
YES IT DOES, unlike iphone which does not!

Are you sure? I know the iPhone doesn't, trust me, but on the specs page for the iPod it says 30-pin connector for charging, data transfer, and video out; 3.5-mm jack for audio. This is the same for the nano, the classic, and the touch. So can you still get video out from the 3.5 jack like with the previous iPod?

Tiprya
yes they are 99 now... had a 20 dollar price drop

No, only a $10 drop they were $109 before - they dropped from $119 by $10 earlier when either the MB or the MBP's were updated

scruffie
Argh. I'm so torn. Shall i wait or shall i go swipey swipey? Hmm - yes I'll hold for the iphone.

Alec Fraser
6th September 2007, 09:41 AM
I am so weak :(

iTalk
6th September 2007, 09:42 AM
The iPod classic is overpriced in Australia ( AU$349) comparing to the US $245 ( ~AU$296) ..

grorr76
6th September 2007, 09:51 AM
I can't see a problem with capacity on the iTouch. 8GB is massive let alone 16GB. How much media can you or should you take in one session for it to be healthy or outlast the battery. I see iPods as a peripheral to a Mac and given the amount of time I spend in front of the computer, I can hardly complain about the little effort to change the content of my iPod. I'm laying my money on the Australian release of the iPhone being or having a 16GB option. Either way it's definately worth the wait. I wouldn't count on HDD's being integrated into touch screen units. IMO it will be higher capacity flash. :thumbup:

im with you 16gb is fine im not a big video watcher i want it for photos and music 16gb is still a hell of a lot of music

leon
6th September 2007, 09:56 AM
If I were to purchase now it would be a classic. Then I would wait for the iPhone. iPod touch looks nice, but capacity is too low.

Aa
6th September 2007, 09:59 AM
If I were to purchase now it would be a classic. Then I would wait for the iPhone. iPod touch looks nice, but capacity is too low.

You and me both leon.:thumbup:

ace66
6th September 2007, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately I'm off OS at the beginning of next month so I'm delaying my purchase. Otherwise I'd be dropping cash for a 16Gb Touch.

I have a good phone and don't like the compromises of the Iphone. At least in its current version. I buy all my phones outright and it has to be unlocked.

The Touch does all the important parts that I'd like in an Ipod along with a decent screen and an internet appliance thrown in. Whats not to like.

BlowMeDown
6th September 2007, 10:08 AM
Ordered my iPod Classic this morning and received notification from Apple that it has been shipped. Woohoo!

However, because it's a public holiday here tomorrow due to APEC I'll be waiting until Monday to receive it. Boohoo!

Is it too late to change my mind about how I feel about APEC? :p

Aa
6th September 2007, 10:11 AM
The Touch does all the important parts that I'd like in an Ipod along with a decent screen and an internet appliance thrown in. Whats not to like.

No email app i guess. I can understand why they left it out for marketing reasons though...

smilne360
6th September 2007, 10:11 AM
heres to hoping they do a back to school deal again, asuming i can hold out for my imac..

that said ive been lookign for a pda, and if ipod touch has a note function , then sold!

pdd
6th September 2007, 10:16 AM
I'm with leon, capacity too low to even consider the iPod Touch & the touchscreen thing.. hmmmm.. don't know about that. I've got a current mp3 player that's touch screen & well, it's a few yrs old now, the sensors aren't so great anymore! 160Gb Classic.. bring it on!

Public Holiday coz of APEC.. man!! that sux! i want a public holiday... it's tooo long between the queen's bday & melb cup.... tooo long!!

grimmy
6th September 2007, 10:20 AM
The touch looks wonderfull however is it a case of "Form over function????"

I raise this as I have owned a number of iPods infact I purchased an original 5gb with the Mech wheel!
The worst model EVER was the 3G one with the row of four touch sensitive buttons, unless you locked it you would always been skipping a track or pausing it etc by accident.
However as annoying as that was the real issue is that the mech wheel is pretty much the perfect user interface as it allows you to operate the device without looking at, for instance when you are jogging or walking and it is in your pocket there is no need to pull it out to pause or skip a track. Also volume adjust is easy.
However what a wonderful media device is HAMPERED with a such a small capacity, the ability to playback movies is wonderful however the storage is rather limited.

TheKeddi
6th September 2007, 10:23 AM
Anyone having trouble now ordering their new ipod? it keeps making my firefox crash loading the store page, too many people perhaps???

Jazarus
6th September 2007, 10:29 AM
I would like the Silver 160 GB ipod classic to compliment my 30GB Black iPod video.

I will give the iPod touch a miss for a few revisions, I reckon Apple will add more features down the track and also bigger storage = lower price going by Apple's track record with revisions.
The storage for the iPod touch atm is just too small for my liking, 32 GB would be acceptable.

Jabjab
6th September 2007, 10:31 AM
This is a tough one for me here, the touch is everything I wanted in a way an iphone without the phone but I think I will play the waiting game first and see if it's just worth upgrading. Other wise I will be going to a nano/classic for the mean while and just let the Touch become a little mature first.

ninja
6th September 2007, 10:34 AM
16gb iTouch just ordered...
will be getting iPhone when it gets here next year...

now Im going to bed.

lol... done, done and done!

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 10:45 AM
The touch looks wonderfull however is it a case of "Form over function????"

I raise this as I have owned a number of iPods infact I purchased an original 5gb with the Mech wheel!
The worst model EVER was the 3G one with the row of four touch sensitive buttons, unless you locked it you would always been skipping a track or pausing it etc by accident.
However as annoying as that was the real issue is that the mech wheel is pretty much the perfect user interface as it allows you to operate the device without looking at, for instance when you are jogging or walking and it is in your pocket there is no need to pull it out to pause or skip a track. Also volume adjust is easy.
However what a wonderful media device is HAMPERED with a such a small capacity, the ability to playback movies is wonderful however the storage is rather limited.

why get a toucH??......need a web browser, want FULL screen video, and DONT want a Hard drive , the HDD use too much power, and die too quickly... have had 2 before both HDD based both had the HDD die within two years.... going flash all the way, and flash memory is very $$$ next to HDD but dont care... rather have better battery life, and better reliability of Flash based memory than a HDD.. and oh the Touch screen is way cool!

Silver
6th September 2007, 10:49 AM
I've very tempted by an 8GB touch to use as my main iPod. My music library is around 30 GB, but what I listen to most is under 5.

ninja
6th September 2007, 10:52 AM
The iPod classic is overpriced in Australia ( AU$349) comparing to the US $245 ( ~AU$296) ..

omg these price differentials with products in the states has been covered a thousand times

* smaller market here
* taxes, duty
* freight

jerrah
6th September 2007, 10:53 AM
Anyone having trouble now ordering their new ipod? it keeps making my firefox crash loading the store page, too many people perhaps???I've been unable to load the applestore page in any browser for a while now. Only page that crashes all my browsers.

jerrah
6th September 2007, 10:55 AM
rather have better battery life20hours vs 40 hours. The iPod classic 160GB beats the iTouch for battery life hands down.:eek:

areal
6th September 2007, 10:57 AM

Okay, so it looks like all of the iPods (except the iPod) and now the iPhone have both composite and component AV out. New cables are available that connect via the dock connector. The stereo jack only provides audio out.

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 11:03 AM
20hours vs 40 hours. The iPod classic 160GB beats the iTouch for battery life hands down.:eek:

that is not correct..... it depends on how you use it.. and if you change songs every few songs or so, the hard drive spins up, and wears out, and kills battery life..... I have NEVER EVER seen A HDD based ipod last more than a few hours with my type of use.... your use may be play and never touch the control again... I dont do that. so a HDD based ipod is NO GOOD FOR ME!

Mac Ram
6th September 2007, 11:04 AM
I've been hanging on now for what seems like a lifetime, making do ;) with my 1st gen Nano.

Went online this morning and the itouch is just too tempting. Ummed 'n' arrred all morning, tried to convince myself that it's too expensive and the 160gb classic is the more sensible buy. By the time I got to the the train station, I was literally running to the office to purchase the 16gb itouch.

From having no apple products 3 years ago, I now have an imac, mac mini, macbook, nano and soon an itouch. Have I caught some sort of gorgeous illness - cos I feel bloody fantastic.:)

Disko
6th September 2007, 11:05 AM
iPod Touch 16gb ordered. :)

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 11:13 AM
From having no apple products 3 years ago, I now have an imac, mac mini, macbook, nano and soon an itouch. Have I caught some sort of gorgeous illness - cos I feel bloody fantastic.:)

hehe I know this guy in my office who was 2 years ago a die hard PC man. He now owns 2 imacs, a mini, a Powerbook, an Apple TV, and just ordered a 16GB touch ipod .. all thanks to me :) LOL

I am waiting for DJ's to get the Touch Ipods in, as I have 400 bucks in DJ's vouchers to use :)

queraxus
6th September 2007, 11:19 AM
that is not correct..... it depends on how you use it.. and if you change songs every few songs or so, the hard drive spins up, and wears out, and kills battery life..... I have NEVER EVER seen A HDD based ipod last more than a few hours with my type of use.... your use may be play and never touch the control again... I dont do that. so a HDD based ipod is NO GOOD FOR ME!

My 60 GB 5G Ipod will last all day ...

TheKeddi
6th September 2007, 11:19 AM
Whowoooo

Just rang and ordered my green nano 8 gig, I'm hoping it comes tomorrow but will see,

i sold my pink nano to my niece so now I have nothing to send me to sleep like my podcasts do!!

mechcon
6th September 2007, 11:20 AM
aaacrhrhrg, dont wanna wait till end of the month to get one..

grorr76
6th September 2007, 11:21 AM
Whowoooo

Just rang and ordered my green nano 8 gig, I'm hoping it comes tomorrow but will see,

i sold my pink nano to my niece so now I have nothing to send me to sleep like my podcasts do!!

ahhh nothing like a good tech podcast to cure the insomnia...

ninja
6th September 2007, 11:24 AM
I've been hanging on now for what seems like a lifetime, making do ;) with my 1st gen Nano.

Went online this morning and the itouch is just too tempting. Ummed 'n' arrred all morning, tried to convince myself that it's too expensive and the 160gb classic is the more sensible buy. By the time I got to the the train station, I was literally running to the office to purchase the 16gb itouch.

lol .. Fantastic! Great post

azultrahur
6th September 2007, 11:24 AM
There's a lot of comments about mp3 libraries being larger than ipod touch capacities as the reason not to buy them. There are other ways people fill up their ipods that are also an important consideration - I have a 40GB 3rd gen which has about 15GB of files backed up on it and for synching between work and home. That's why I won't get the touch until it's at least 32GB and can act as the great little mobile file server I have now.

Deciding which music and video to synch - that's the easy part!

ninja
6th September 2007, 11:25 AM
hehe I know this guy in my office who was 2 years ago a die hard PC man. He now owns 2 imacs, a mini, a Powerbook, an Apple TV, and just ordered a 16GB touch ipod .. all thanks to me :) LOL

I am waiting for DJ's to get the Touch Ipods in, as I have 400 bucks in DJ's vouchers to use :)

lol .. Im the same.. We should be getting commission :p

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 11:28 AM

well I wish or hope that DJ's in Melbourne will let me Pre-order one, as I dont want to have to wait 2 months to get one

dotnet
6th September 2007, 11:30 AM
Just ordered a green Nano for my wife (anniversary coming up :p )

I'll consider the Touch when it goes 32GB, just before X'mas...

Cheers
Steffen.

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 11:30 AM

commision, I wish... in my time I have talked about 200 people into Macs in the past 10 years alone. In my office in the past 3 years, I have about 20 people with Macs, and when I got here 3 years ago.. everyone was die hard PC heads!

ilostmypassword
6th September 2007, 11:32 AM
After seeing how scary the keynotes have become with crowds 'hi fiving' and 'screaming' at Steves every whim- I'm going old school and keeping my simple to use iPod video *shock horror* :D

Is it me or is everything becoming more complicated with Apple? And how many times can they re- invent the wheel? ;)

It plays video and music- just like the "other ones" :)

But yes- they look good.

aswitcher
6th September 2007, 11:33 AM
16GB iPod Touch ordered 5.21am this morning :)

jerrah
6th September 2007, 11:40 AM
that is not correct.....I have NEVER EVER seen A HDD based ipod last more than a few hours with my type of use.... I've never ever had a HDD based ipod. Just quoting official Apple figures. I manage about 12 hours out of my Nano.

deepspace
6th September 2007, 11:42 AM

Same as me. mbp, mb, nano, now itouch, maybe a imac 24inch on the way. ordered 16gb itouch without any hesitate after i woke up this morning and wow. i am tempted by the touch screen of iphone while hate the design without keyboard. now itouch meets my requirement perfectly. Like what jpicard said, flash storage is much more reliable than HDD and i'm glad to see apple choose flash for itouch this time. i also think the battery life is the major reason for apple to adopt flash memory rather than hdd. with the touch screen and UI, apple simply cannot equip a hdd with itouch considering only 22 hours music play time even with flash memory compared with 40 hours of ipod classic. correct me if i'm wrong.

also, i notice the dive of apple stock price after itouch released, anyone can explain this? smaller capacity of itouch and its impact to iphone sale?

happyfrappy
6th September 2007, 11:43 AM
An average music listener usually has at least 8-12 GB of music so the iPod Touch would make some people trim their unwanted tunes/podcasts/vodcasts. My 3G iPod(15 GB) was near maxed out by the time I picked up my new 30 GB video iPod last month. Somehow I doubt my library will grow too fast in 3-4yrs :cool:

The entry level nano is something I may order for my mum, she never liked her heavy 4G iPod that I got during the Cram & Jam deal and her library barely reached 1.5 GB.
*sigh* I retired my 3G iPod and now her 4G iPod will reach the parts bin too... nothing like being a wasteful westerner, don't give hoot lets pollute! :thumbup: ;)
*enjoys more sunburns in the name of new iPods* :D

Azabu
6th September 2007, 11:47 AM
Nano for the road, Classic for the home...

NORMANDY
6th September 2007, 11:49 AM
I've never ever had a HDD based ipod. Just quoting official Apple figures. I manage about 12 hours out of my Nano.

thats why I am going Flash based ipod, as I have a shuffle and it lasts me 15 hour with heavy use of flicking and changing volume etc, as long as I get more than 5 hours I will be happy. Cant wait till the end of the month......

shiny
6th September 2007, 11:50 AM
I am going to miss the 'white' era but the silver classic looks great and I really like the look of the new interface. I don't need an upgrade but will probably give in and grab an 80GB classic.

The g/f keeps complaing about the lack of storgage on her 1GB 1G nano and that she cannot watch video like me. So the iPod nano is perfect and with her birthday coming soon I think she will be very happy. ;)

Oh yeah and where is iTunes update? Must be a delay.

lowek
6th September 2007, 12:00 PM
After seeing how scary the keynotes have become with crowds 'hi fiving' and 'screaming' at Steves every whim- I'm going old school and keeping my simple to use iPod video *shock horror* :D

That sounds like an episode of Oprah! :eek:

Is the backing of the new iPod different to the 5.5G? If so, will it be more scratch-resistant?

lowek
6th September 2007, 12:02 PM
Public Holiday coz of APEC.. man!! that sux! i want a public holiday... it's tooo long between the queen's bday & melb cup.... tooo long!!

Well, we don't get a public holiday for Melbourne Cup here, so it's nice to get an extra day off before Christmas for once! :D

I'm so glad to see there's still a 'classic' iPod. I was afraid Apple would dump it in favour of the touchscreen version. I hope they always keep an iPod dedicated to music (at least, one that doesn't have net access etc). I wouldn't mind some sort of bluetooth feature so I don't always have to plug my iPod in to update it, although I don't know how feasible that is; I'm not as tech-savvy as the rest of you!

happyfrappy
6th September 2007, 12:14 PM
also, i notice the dive of apple stock price after itouch released, anyone can explain this? smaller capacity of itouch and its impact to iphone sale?

It would be two factors, Iraq progress report then the economy news.
The stock market is weakened from the housing data in the US, its tanking in the major cities and it wasn't from high fuel costs, people taking stupid risks of buying too many properties and not turning a profit so banks are losing big. Living costs in the northeast US is no different than living on the west coast... it'll be a preference of snow vs earthquakes :D

deepspace
6th September 2007, 12:50 PM
It would be two factors, Iraq progress report then the economy news.
The stock market is weakened from the housing data in the US, its tanking in the major cities and it wasn't from high fuel costs, people taking stupid risks of buying too many properties and not turning a profit so banks are losing big. Living costs in the northeast US is no different than living on the west coast... it'll be a preference of snow vs earthquakes :D
lol, just read the news about US stock decline. but i'm still optimistic with apple stock price. and the thought will be firm when i receive my 16gb ipod touch!:D

Thom
6th September 2007, 03:46 PM
This is the first time since the mono 4G iPod that I haven't upgraded on the day of release.

These new items all look great but none of them really does enough to warrant an upgrade.

I was all set to order a touch until I saw the tiny capacity (why not just use a HDD?!?)

The classic is nice but the battery life is inconsistently reported
on the site (one page has the 80gig version with vastly more capacity than the 160gig?)

The nano's are great but the capacity/function ratio doesn't suit me as I use shuffles.

yinyang
6th September 2007, 03:54 PM
iPod touch 8Gb ordered from reseller - roll on 28th Sept (or whenever the poor resellers get their stock!!)

kyte
6th September 2007, 04:19 PM
*If* I was going to buy, I'd get the 160G classic. But I'm not, I still am using my old iPod photo.

beer.coffee
6th September 2007, 04:54 PM
The estimated shipping time is: BY September 28th.

We could be getting it even earlier....

Do you think that shipment of the iPod touches will be based on order in which people ordered them?

leon
6th September 2007, 05:17 PM
I guess we are all forgetting that with the iPod Touch you can walk around with it to your ear and pretend you have an iPhone. Just think how cool everyone will think you are. Can't get that with a shuffle, nano or classic.

grorr76
6th September 2007, 05:22 PM
The estimated shipping time is: BY September 28th.

We could be getting it even earlier....

Do you think that shipment of the iPod touches will be based on order in which people ordered them?

hope its earlier cant wait, i think sept 28th is worst case scenario.

[MREVO8]
6th September 2007, 05:24 PM
I think I might order a Classic 80 or 160... I like to have all my stuff with me.

It would have been perfect if they'd made a Touch with a 80/160GB HDD.

MrJesseRoss
6th September 2007, 05:26 PM
I'm coming round to the idea of an iPod touch. I have 25GBish of music/videos, but a lot of that is podcasts (only listen to those once) and music I rarely listen to. Maybe getting a 16GB (or even 8GB) touch would finally compel me to tidy up my collection and get rid of the crud!

TheKeddi
6th September 2007, 05:29 PM
It's the 8 gig nano for me, I only use my ipod for podcasts so it's perfect for both the audio and video ones now!

locus
6th September 2007, 06:16 PM
I ordered a 16GB iPod Touch this morning, to replace my trusty old 6GB iPod mini.

I can hardly wait! :)

kingkangkong
6th September 2007, 06:23 PM
heart says "Touch".

Brain says "Classic".

Wallet says "Jerk."

iMac
6th September 2007, 06:27 PM
Perhaps in the future the iTouch will become apple's new Newton (what, one can only hope, right? :p )

Ill probably fork out for a touch. although the capacity is a little bit of an issue, but I like slim things, so... *shrug*

chrissara
6th September 2007, 06:31 PM
Given it is a larger screen than the video I am tempted to look at the touch Ipod.

Also the wi-fi allowing you to browse etc- something the Zune was crippled on.

locus
6th September 2007, 06:34 PM
Depends on what sort of person you are. My mate has a 60gb iPod, he wouldn't dream of getting a Touch as he likes to keep ALL of his music with him.

Me, I'm content to only carry my favorite tunes. Hell, my 6gb mini only has 4gb of music on it at the moment. Come to think of it, my entire iTunes library is only just under 16gb.

beer.coffee
6th September 2007, 06:37 PM
I heard a rumour that the new iPod touch screen might not be optical grade glass....i'm scared to pre-order.

TheKeddi
6th September 2007, 06:49 PM
WooWooo !!!

I just got my shipment email from Apple, my new nano should be here in the morning!!!

cmetom
6th September 2007, 07:24 PM
went and picked up a green shuffle for the girlfriend today, since the new ones are different colours.

i think all the new models look great and the Touch is quite exciting as a sign of things to come, but i very much like my 5G so i'll stick with that. it's my favourite after the 2G i bought way back when for $777 (edu discount.. rrp was $845 i think). 3G sucked.

:)

crankyfranky
6th September 2007, 07:35 PM
I'll be getting a 160GB Touch - how long before we see one of these??? :)

sjaeger172004
6th September 2007, 07:35 PM
I will be buying an iPod Classic 160GB as the iPod Touch will be too small storage wise. Anyway I will be buying an iPhone when they get released here in Aust to replace my falling apart ancient Sony Ericsson T230.

DJY
6th September 2007, 07:54 PM
How many times in one day can I change my mind!?!?!
sigh
still undecided.

carlow1
6th September 2007, 08:11 PM
DJY How many times in one day can I change my mind!?!?!
sigh
still undecided.

Oh me too. I can't decide between 80gb classic or 16gb touch. Maybe I could flip a coin:D

aswitcher
6th September 2007, 08:12 PM
sigh
still undecided.

You KNOW you want to TOUCH your music...

aswitcher
6th September 2007, 08:15 PM
sigh
still undecided.

Plus all the cool stuff coming out for iPods is going to be aimed at the iPhone/iTouch...

aspro
6th September 2007, 08:55 PM
I bought myself the 80GB classic to tide me over a year or two, when I plan to migrate myself to a rev. 2 iPhone.

MrJesseRoss
6th September 2007, 08:56 PM
I'll be getting a 160GB Touch - how long before we see one of these??? :)

Quite some time. Flash memory is hideously expensive at the moment. Even 32GB of flash is expensive. So, yeah, 160GB of flash is not likely. Not in the near future.

andrew.wilson
6th September 2007, 09:01 PM
Arrrrgggghhhhh! Can't decide.

I don't wanna rush into a touch and then have them updated to have a higher storage capacity in the next couple of months...when do you think this would happen if they did do it?

...and what is with all the 3G bashing :p I love mine....click wheel...pfffft :p

DJY
6th September 2007, 10:14 PM
You KNOW you want to TOUCH your music...

I do!!!!!
I have gone from wanting a Touch...
to thinking a Classic makes better sense...
to discounting sense - as it is an impulse buy with HUGE WOW factor...
to half emailing a mate in the States to get me an iPhone afterall...
back to touch as I started to watch the Keynote...

Post Keynote:
realise 160GB Classic is too big / not needed (but an 80GB Mmmm)
but then when I noticed them drop the iPhone price and remove the 4GB version...
there is now a nice BLANK space there for a 16GB iPhone for Europe if they don't get 3G?

Oh yeah and even if I bu a touch to tie me over until an Oz iPhone....
is a $500 temporary toy worth it for 12 months?

Oh hang on - that's logic and reason again...
I'm going back to drewling over the iPod touch.

If it does allow adding and amending iCal / Address Book... I think it is my duty to get one.

Sambo
6th September 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm coming round to the idea of an iPod touch. I have 25GBish of music/videos, but a lot of that is podcasts (only listen to those once) and music I rarely listen to. Maybe getting a 16GB (or even 8GB) touch would finally compel me to tidy up my collection and get rid of the crud!

Exact same feelings here.

Arrrrgggghhhhh! Can't decide.

I don't wanna rush into a touch and then have them updated to have a higher storage capacity in the next couple of months...when do you think this would happen if they did do it?

...and what is with all the 3G bashing :p I love mine....click wheel...pfffft :p

32GB of flash wont come down till probably this time next year.

aswitcher
6th September 2007, 10:25 PM
I'm going back to drewling over the iPod touch.

If it does allow adding and amending iCal / Address Book... I think it is my duty to get one.

I am sure iCal and Address Book will allow adding entries etc - else whats the point of having touch and not allowing access to these PDA features. I am just a little miffed they dont have to-do items yet (I assume an upgrade with syncing in the next few months).

I figure that in 6-12 months I'll sell the 16GB Touch for at least half its value, likely more as I think its going to be regarded as a high value item for a while - even if its just browsing the net on the couch. And I also figure Apple will introduce updates that will allow this to control my Mac for frontrow without line of sight, and with many more 'on screen' touch features. So I might keep it as a cool iTunes remote etc. And there are many more Apps that they could do that will boost its usefulness by the time I find an Aussie 3G iphone with GPS and a decent data plan.

ninja
6th September 2007, 10:41 PM
heart says "Touch".

Brain says "Classic".

Wallet says "Jerk."

Hahaha .. Thats great

My heart is saying the same. I want a touch just to play with it. Its something entirely different. But i know after time those features wont really matter to me. If there was a 32gb model i would order it this instant.. My itunes collection is at 32.44GB

ninja
6th September 2007, 10:44 PM
Oh me too. I can't decide between 80gb classic or 16gb touch. Maybe I could flip a coin:D

Haha .. Thats the exact decision im trying to make

*browses through itunes to see what isnt needed*

DJY
6th September 2007, 11:01 PM
I am sure iCal and Address Book will allow adding entries etc ....

I also figure Apple will introduce updates that will allow this to control my Mac for frontrow without line of sight, and with many more 'on screen' touch features. So I might keep it as a cool iTunes remote etc...

So then the only decision is whether to buy online, or from a reseller...
Will be interesting to see which would arrive first?!?!
Has there been anyone notice any change to the Shipping By date Online from the 28 Sept it was this morning?

Arkhum_Eramak
6th September 2007, 11:13 PM
I'll grab a 16Gb touch. I only have around 8Gb of music I usually want with me, plus it'll be a nice taster for whether or not I will use the iPhone well. Still scepticle on the Keyboard :/

Peter Wells
7th September 2007, 08:19 PM
just sold my 2nd gen nano for close to the price of the third gen nano..

a video nano will do me til the iphone is released in oz.

and i dont care what you guys think, the nano is just big boned..

aswitcher
7th September 2007, 08:25 PM
Has there been anyone notice any change to the Shipping By date Online from the 28 Sept it was this morning?

Mine is still 29 Sept for delivery by 3 Oct.

I am suspicious I will see an update week after next, and that it will arrive early. Wishful thinking perhaps.

grorr76
7th September 2007, 08:26 PM

my feeling is the online store will get orders off first and if you live in sydney you will get it next day on the 29th.