PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if memory is compatible with my PB?

chrish3677
7th February 2005, 08:27 PM
I want to upgrade my PB Ti !ghz from 512Mb to 1Gb. How do I know if the memory will be compatible. It's SO-DIMM etc and I can match those specs, but I still hear stories that not all memory that theoretically works in Macs, does.

My local PC shop is offering memory upgrades at a good price (Amicroe brand), but how will I know if it works? What if problems don't show up straight away?

any help appreciated.

thanks

hawker
7th February 2005, 08:29 PM
as long as its low profile Amicroe RAM, it should work in your powerbook.

Ask them if you can test it in store if you're affraid. They usually let you because its lifetime warranty :P

suryo
7th February 2005, 09:40 PM
Compatibility isn't an issue. Poor quality/faulty RAM is.

If they let you test it in store, take the hardware test CD that came with your powerbook with you and run it with the new memory installed. Any problems *should* show up. As is the case with all memory there could possibly be some problem that doesn't show up immediately, but in that case you should be able to exchange it later if it has a lifetime warranty.

someonestolecc
8th February 2005, 08:22 AM
I'm interested if any of this RAM will fit into the 12" PB.

Or must it be specifically low-profile? I've heard there is some issue with it hitting something ... does anyone have a particular model/brand/serial # of ones thats confirmed to work?

macmate
8th February 2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by someonestolecc@Feb 8 2005, 08:22 AM
I'm interested if any of this RAM will fit into the 12" PB.

Or must it be specifically low-profile? I've heard there is some issue with it hitting something ... does anyone have a particular model/brand/serial # of ones thats confirmed to work?
any lifetime warranty ram should be fine. remember one thing though. you get what you pay for. if you go the cheapest you find then don't come back complaining that your computer is crashing and then find out its the ram and then moan about how you had to go back in and get it replaced...... all just to save $10

someonestolecc
8th February 2005, 03:49 PM
Sorry I should probably re-phrase that.

Brand/make/manufacturing/processing/pricing/specification/quality issues aside - how is the physical fit?

I've heard some will not FIT inside the 12" PB.

In terms of physical fit - will any of this ram work? :)