PDA

View Full Version : HELP! QT &/or iTunes problem

Galumay
3rd September 2007, 08:51 PM
hi fellow mactalkers,

my mum is having a strange problem with her MB, i have put a couple of short movies on my web gallery and she wants to download them so she can play them when the rest of the family come around - without waiting for them to download on the web gallery each time.

problem is she can download them alright but she cant play them, QT says it cant open that type of file and she cant get them into iTunes movie folder, tried dragging them in as well as importing and no go.

the file is a .mv4 file so i cant understand why she cant play them or open in iTunes, she is running the latest versions of both.

it works fine on all my macs - but i am running QT pro which is the only difference i can find.

the gallery is here if anyone wants to try - gallery (http://gallery.mac.com/galumay#)

i have tried everything i can think of and have had no luck!

shiny
3rd September 2007, 09:16 PM
Movie downloads and runs fine for me, has a permissions repair been done? Other than that maybe reinstalling QT :)

meinrosebud
3rd September 2007, 09:23 PM
Could there be a problem with Quicktime? Did the files download correctly? Permissions issues?
Set up another new account and try it downloading & playing again.

Galumay
3rd September 2007, 09:32 PM
thing is it plays in the web gallery fine, its only when she downloads it to her desktop that she then cant get the file to open in iTunes or with QT.

Aa
3rd September 2007, 09:36 PM
Yep set up a new account and try.

Could very well be an incomplete download that she's trying to play. Just a thought. i know my mum would do it.

Galumay
3rd September 2007, 09:41 PM
i have checked the obvious things like partial downloads - like you say something an elderly mum is likely to try!!

Aladdin
3rd September 2007, 10:22 PM
Galumay, you stated you had a .mv4 file. Is it a file extension problem?

I thought the extension should be .m4v

Galumay
4th September 2007, 07:44 AM
Galumay, you stated you had a .mv4 file. Is it a file extension problem?

I thought the extension should be .m4v

no, that must be my dislexia!

Aa
4th September 2007, 08:57 AM
Another thought is perhaps another app (something you've installed and removed) has made itself the default player of that file type?