PDA

View Full Version : So, i've been asked to buy an iPhone ...

zbaron
3rd September 2007, 07:39 PM
There is a great interest in my workplace for the iPhone, i'm not sure if it is for the phone functions, but more the video/iPod and web browsing functionality ... but, we'd like to get a hold of one and see exactly what we're in for before the first client rings up asking how they can connect it to our wireless network etc. etc.

So, those that have one, how would you suggest I go about procuring one? Keeping in mind that the whole deal would need to be above board and legitimate. Once it arrives, then I can go about unlocking it and making it work.

The fallback option, is that our Director is travelling to the US next month, so he could pick one up, not open the box and then place it in my eagerly waiting hands when he gets back.

decryption
3rd September 2007, 07:47 PM
eBay is probably the best option, a few people on there are selling it. Failing that, a few MacTalk members can probably help you out (unless you need a tax invoice or something).

andrew.wilson
3rd September 2007, 07:56 PM
If it is for the fullscreen iPod features mostly, I'd suggest waiting a few days and see what becomes of the 5th...there is also a remote chance of getting wireless on the new iPods but I wouldn't hold hope too high....

MacMatt
3rd September 2007, 08:08 PM
I actually want to buy one, and have been looking on ebay... What is a reasonable price you reckon?

Anyone on MacTalk selling an unlocked iPhone? or do you think wait until released in Australia?

zbaron
3rd September 2007, 09:02 PM
I've been having a look on ebay and the prices seem to vary quite wildly. I'm a bit hesitant to purchase something from overseas on ebay. I think i'd prefer a "virgin" phone too rather than buying a pre-unlocked one. I think i'll ask around work a bit more and have a feeling that we'll wait for someone to take a trip to the US, paying a few $hundred above converted retail price would be shunned.

Quamen
3rd September 2007, 09:07 PM
I actually want to buy one, and have been looking on ebay... What is a reasonable price you reckon?

I bought mine for $900 AUD last week. I think the ones already in the country and activated are going for about $1200.

jeloz
3rd September 2007, 09:38 PM
Useful links

http://www.international-orders.com/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,3/option,com_emporium/Itemid,4/lang,/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_emporium&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1

http://www.myus.com./

http://www.iphoneae.com/

Jeloz

choy
3rd September 2007, 11:15 PM
or you can order it yourself, but will take a little work.

You can use a service like :
www.usglobalmail.comhttp://forums.whirlpool.net.au/im/extlink.gif (http://www.usglobalmail.com/)

they set up a US mailbox for you so you can enter this into the Apple US online store. Then the mailbox service will send it to you.

You need to set up a us mailbox and direct your credit card to it, (ie so it has a US address - AMEX is easiest) but believe me it's paid off for me. I can get most things sent directly to me from the US. No more waiting, not just the iPhone

Just got my iphone today - a refurb off the apple store - saved heaps that way rather than paying the inflated prices on the websites that will ship internationally

find_jackass
3rd September 2007, 11:29 PM
or you can order it yourself, but will take a little work.

You can use a service like :
www.usglobalmail.comhttp://forums.whirlpool.net.au/im/extlink.gif (http://www.usglobalmail.com/)

they set up a US mailbox for you so you can enter this into the Apple US online store. Then the mailbox service will send it to you.

You need to set up a us mailbox and direct your credit card to it, (ie so it has a US address - AMEX is easiest) but believe me it's paid off for me. I can get most things sent directly to me from the US. No more waiting, not just the iPhone

Just got my iphone today - a refurb off the apple store - saved heaps that way rather than paying the inflated prices on the websites that will ship internationally

I honestly doubt that.. coz i've tried using my credit card with apple overseas. but they simply dont take it. because cant verify it. i got mine off ebay.au . reasonable price though.. they hv to throw in freight and etc.. but like the guy who said above. prices varies. but u see some dodgy ones trying to sell fake china made iphones. i go for trust worthy ones.. but i dont do international ones.. bit hard for me to trust :)

choy
4th September 2007, 08:27 AM
I honestly doubt that.. coz i've tried using my credit card with apple overseas. but they simply dont take it. because cant verify it. i got mine off ebay.au . reasonable price though.. they hv to throw in freight and etc.. but like the guy who said above. prices varies. but u see some dodgy ones trying to sell fake china made iphones. i go for trust worthy ones.. but i dont do international ones.. bit hard for me to trust :)

Dude, you can doubt as much as you want, I have done it multiple times, and from the Apple store in particular. I even have bought proper iPhoto books. I physically have an iPhone right now. I also bought a Treo 680 in crimson which you cannot buy outside america.

It works as long as the credit card company actually has that address on file for you. That's why I said AMEX was easiest - most american companies take amex and I just rang them to change my address to the US mailbox.

By doing this I saved USD$100 to get a refurb which no one to my knowledge is selling outside the US. It's worth the pain of setting up properly because then you can get just about anything, and you'll be amazed at all the stuff you miss out on because its only available in the US. Another example:

www.simplehuman.com

really cool stuff, there is a local distributor, but they only sell a very limited selection of their stuff. Many american companies offer free shipping in the US, so often all you need is shipping from the mailbox to Australia. The mailbox companies can even repack items for you so you can bulk buy and ship it all together.

Alec Fraser
4th September 2007, 09:28 AM
One thing I have to ask is do you really want to roll out a device that needs to be hacked to work locally and has no waranty or support outside of the US into your business?

If you're going to sell it to clients, you'll probably get nailed by Apple legal.

I love Apple, and I'm dying to get myself an iPhone...but I honestly would not offer it in Australia as a device to users in an organization...at least not until it's offered and supported locally.

Edit: Some times you just have to say no to your boss...I had to when my boss wanted to use modded XBox 1's running linux as dumb terminals in one of our factories...I'm not kidding, he actually asked me to research it.

mechcon
4th September 2007, 09:58 AM
isn't xbox modding legal anyway?

$1200 for a half-arsed attempt at a mobile phone (i'm sorry to offend anyone that thinks the iphone is the best thing since sliced bread) is just a rip off. it's half a phone anyway! okay so the interface is nice, and yes I'd love one, once it's gone through a couple of revisions.. but $1200 for a pda with ringin/ringout functions? sticky tape a 3310 to a bloody dell axiom :P

zbaron
4th September 2007, 10:15 AM
One thing I have to ask is do you really want to roll out a device that needs to be hacked to work locally and has no waranty or support outside of the US into your business?

It isn't quite that bad. :)

It is more a case of us (who run the infrastructure) trying to be prepared for when a user of that infrastructure arrives back from overseas with their shiny new toy and wants it to actually work. We run a large Cisco based wireless network, but we've applied the latest upgrades to it to avoid the problems that occurred at that Uni in the states. This sort of thing does happen, we've had people log support tickets to get their PSP's onto the wireless network and there is at least one PS3 connected (the web developers use it for "testing" web pages on its browser).

On top of all that, there are a few of us that just want to get our mitts onto an iPhone too! :p

Alec Fraser
4th September 2007, 10:42 AM
isn't xbox modding legal anyway?

$1200 for a half-arsed attempt at a mobile phone (i'm sorry to offend anyone that thinks the iphone is the best thing since sliced bread) is just a rip off. it's half a phone anyway! okay so the interface is nice, and yes I'd love one, once it's gone through a couple of revisions.. but $1200 for a pda with ringin/ringout functions? sticky tape a 3310 to a bloody dell axiom :P

It still voids the waranty.

As for the iPhone being half a phone...what other phone features are you after?!

Alec Fraser
4th September 2007, 10:43 AM
It isn't quite that bad. :)

It is more a case of us (who run the infrastructure) trying to be prepared for when a user of that infrastructure arrives back from overseas with their shiny new toy and wants it to actually work. We run a large Cisco based wireless network, but we've applied the latest upgrades to it to avoid the problems that occurred at that Uni in the states. This sort of thing does happen, we've had people log support tickets to get their PSP's onto the wireless network and there is at least one PS3 connected (the web developers use it for "testing" web pages on its browser).

On top of all that, there are a few of us that just want to get our mitts onto an iPhone too! :p

LOL...see, that sorta stuff would never happen where I work. If we don't provide the hardware, it doesn't go on our network...wireless or otherwise ;)

wise
4th September 2007, 10:59 AM
i bought mine for $900 on ebay last week plus $90 for international express fedex.

mechcon
4th September 2007, 11:37 AM
It still voids the waranty.

As for the iPhone being half a phone...what other phone features are you after?!

how about 3G for starters? and custom ringtones.. custom profiles wouldn't hurt either (silent/loud/outdoors/vibrate), flash support, the ability to do video calls, mms, lets see.. ability to use the keyboard for sms'ing landscape instead of portrait, why not have an LED flash on the camera as well?

One would think "hang on, its just a phone.." but if you're going to pay premium in this day/age for a phone, you'd expect to have such options at least.

areal
4th September 2007, 11:55 AM
how about 3G for starters? and custom ringtones.. custom profiles wouldn't hurt either (silent/loud/outdoors/vibrate), flash support, the ability to do video calls, mms, lets see.. ability to use the keyboard for sms'ing landscape instead of portrait, why not have an LED flash on the camera as well?

Sure, it is missing all of these things, but the iPhone has many features that other phones do not have - for example, an excellent browser, multitouch, the design, the UI, and it is an iPod as opposed to a half-baked mp3 player. You could make a similar argument about the iPod not having an FM tuner or voice recording or wireless or whatever, but the iPod has so many other advantages over other players that so many people have decided that it is worth paying the premium. For me, the iPhone is just right and is worth the extra money (not $1200 by the way) over buying an iPod and a cell phone separately.

By the way, I have my iPhone on the network here at work by internet sharing through my iMac, which was connected to the network by IT. Not the best solution, but I was a little embarrased to head over to IT with an iPhone and say that I need it hooked up.

mechcon
4th September 2007, 12:06 PM
an excellent browser without flash support.. yeah it has a decent UI, and it's an ipod to a degree too i guess.. but yeah.. I'll wait it out :P

Alec Fraser
4th September 2007, 12:24 PM

One would think "hang on, its just a phone.." but if you're going to pay premium in this day/age for a phone, you'd expect to have such options at least.

I do agree with you on the profiles and custom ringtones. But honestly, how many people actually use 3G features and video calls?!?! Especially when you look 3G coverage here in Aus...I don't see it as a big deal.

The ability to use the keyboard landscape in more apps wouldn't make it more of a phone, it'd enhance the features it already has. Same with flash support. Neither my Nokia nor my Sony Ericsson support flash...do I care? Nope. Same goes for camera flash...only a handful of phones actually have a built in flash for their cameras.

I do agreed that when you're paying a premium you expect certain features. I'm just looking at it from the point of view that the feature set on the iPhone is worth that price tag* and the things it's lacking don't bother me that much.

* the price tag of a locally available device, not the price tag to import and hack it.

mechcon
4th September 2007, 04:20 PM
You don't have to use the function if they're no use to you, but yeah, paying X amount just for what it has is kind of ripoffish.. ah well I say bring on the official australian release!! We're waiting Apple...

Exocet
4th September 2007, 04:48 PM
how many people actually use 3G features and video calls?!?! Especially when you look 3G coverage here in Aus...I don't see it as a big deal.
The big pull with 3G is the data speeds. Would you prefer 115kbps to browse the internet with, or 384kbps, or possibly 3.6mbps with a HSDPA-enabled iPhone?

mechcon
4th September 2007, 04:50 PM
exactly, wasn't going to mention that thinking that nobody would care, but I'm glad at least one more person does :)

Exocet
4th September 2007, 04:54 PM
mechon, my job is all about cellular data so yes I do care :D