PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Hardware Unlock

Jedda
3rd September 2007, 06:45 PM
Just to let you know - finally got around to doing a hardware unlock on my iPhone today. Worked a treat. 3 Mobile and Telstra SIMs both confirmed working.

If anyone in Melbourne is considering it, and might need a hand, send me a PM/email, and i'll see if I can help. It was harder than I thought, but I made an excellent little tool in the process that made it a piece of cake.

Disko
3rd September 2007, 06:47 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

thebookfreak58
3rd September 2007, 06:58 PM
3 Mobile and Telstra SIMs both confirmed working.

:eek: 3 USIM's work...that's great news!

mac_man_luke
3rd September 2007, 07:00 PM
3 is pretty pointless, 1) data is insanely expensive, 2) they will cancel your contract if you use 2G more than 3G

areal
3rd September 2007, 07:00 PM
As mentioned in another thread I did a hardware unlock over the weekend. Vodafone SIM working no problem and it is easy to activate another SIM - using a Mac at least. Pics here (http://ascnnr.wordpress.com/2007/09/02/iphew/).

Can you describe the tool that you made?

nicwithsticks
3rd September 2007, 07:14 PM
can we have pics that confirm three working please?

frenchtoast
3rd September 2007, 07:22 PM
Can you describe the tool that you made?

He used a piece of speaker cable with 2 sewing needles solder to either end.

No joke.

areal
3rd September 2007, 07:44 PM
He used a piece of speaker cable with 2 sewing needles solder to either end.

How does that make it any easier?

frenchtoast
3rd September 2007, 08:18 PM
How does that make it any easier?

Well thats the specific tool. If you are referring how to remove the iPhone back cover without any damage to anything, replacing multiple iPod batteries gives you a hefty amount of experience pulling apart a similar product.

areal
3rd September 2007, 08:24 PM
Well thats the specific tool. If you are referring how to remove the iPhone back cover without any damage to anything, replacing multiple iPod batteries gives you a hefty amount of experience pulling apart a similar product.

I'm sure that it does. But I mean isn't that what everyone else is using to connect the test points anyway? Two needles connected together by a wire or something? I used an aligator clip.

Anyway, any tips on opening the case? You know, for next time... ?

Jedda
3rd September 2007, 08:51 PM
I'm sure that it does. But I mean isn't that what everyone else is using to connect the test points anyway? Two needles connected together by a wire or something? I used an aligator clip.

I guess so.

I think you can either take the easy route, and just tape some needles and speaker wire together, or do what I did, and actually solder quality wire onto the test points. Also made some good grip points, so when you need to hit the trace right on, you dont slip around and screw it up. Using really really thin needles also helped a lot.

Anyway, any tips on opening the case? You know, for next time... ?

I used a box cutter with plastic iPod tools (from battery kit) for the bottom section (antenna cover) and then a nylon probe tool for the back cover. Once I was done, the iPhone looked exactly the same as before (not one marking), but I have opened hundreds of iPods, so it was not dissimilar.

--

I will post pics if people are interested, but i'm tired, so tomorrow.

areal
6th September 2007, 10:14 PM
To anyone who has done the hardware unlock, is there an easy way to activate the YouTube application? Do I need to be careful about replacing DeviceIDs and things now that I am using it as a phone?

Thanks in advance.

find_jackass
12th September 2007, 08:22 PM
hi guys..

i got unlock hard ware by this guy. but then he told me i'll have to activate it afterwards.
i did it with his link --> https://ookoo.org/iphone/iasign.php

but then everytime after i switch a new sim. i have to activate it using the above link.
i heard ppl just do it once afterwards ? how come i have to activate everytime with a new sim ?

is it a pc version ?

i've personally use iactivator with a mac before ? can i jump in and use the iactivator on mac instead ? will i have to use it again when i switch sims ? any input would be cool please !!

:thumbup:

find_jackass
12th September 2007, 08:24 PM
hi guys..

i got unlock hard ware by this guy. but then he told me i'll have to activate it afterwards.
i did it with his link --> https://ookoo.org/iphone/iasign.php

but then everytime after i switch a new sim. i have to activate it using the above link again. thats not what i read here.

i heard ppl just do it once afterwards ? how come i have to activate everytime with a new sim ?it simply wont let me read another sim if i dont activate it again.

is it a pc version ?

i've personally use iactivator with a mac before ? can i jump in and use the iactivator on mac instead ? will i have to use it again when i switch sims ? any input would be cool please !! Sorry for all the questions. the phone is in sydney and im in brissy :(

:thumbup:

Huy
12th September 2007, 08:30 PM
Well I haven't tried anything (no iPhone) but from what I know, doesn't it need to tie something from the SIM to the iPhone?

You're only ever going to use 1 SIM at a time, so of course it makes sense to (fake) activation once, per SIM.

If you have multiple SIMS, then of course, multiple activations. Once activated it is fine.

Linux_insidev2
12th September 2007, 08:38 PM
Mine doesn't need the activation every time i change the sim,

I did the iphonetool unlock.

find_jackass
12th September 2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the input.

so mac is the way to go ?
A. i havnt try with iActivator (mac) yet. but will give it a go soon
B. i'll try iphonetool unlock (mac ) later.

C. i'll also give http://www.pqdvd.net/iphone-unlock-toolkit.html a go because i really need
to know which ones good for a non mac user.

thanks guys..
yes , i know the software is out. but not a pretty GUI yet.. so seems complicated :)

cheers,
Jack

any one tried the above A,B,C let me know soon thanks :rolleyes:

jackinoz
28th September 2007, 12:13 PM
Just to let you know - finally got around to doing a hardware unlock on my iPhone today. Worked a treat. 3 Mobile and Telstra SIMs both confirmed working.

If anyone in Melbourne is considering it, and might need a hand, send me a PM/email, and i'll see if I can help. It was harder than I thought, but I made an excellent little tool in the process that made it a piece of cake.

Jedda, I've read in later posts by Linux_insidev2 that NO 3 Mobile sim card works in an iPhone yet you say yours worked a treat. Could you please confirm this for me. I'm in Sydney and on 3 Mobile. thanks.
Jack

Linux_insidev2
28th September 2007, 12:18 PM
Jedda, I've read in later posts by Linux_insidev2 that NO 3 Mobile sim card works in an iPhone yet you say yours worked a treat. Could you please confirm this for me. I'm in Sydney and on 3 Mobile. thanks.
Jack

From what i've heard recently, old 3 sims will work from the early years of three, before 3G became so widespread. Most will not work, if your sim is from 2003 for instance - it might work

Edge
28th September 2007, 02:03 PM
but then everytime after i switch a new sim. i have to activate it using the above link again.
You need to replace the original lockdownd file with a modified one that lets you use any SIM. There is lots of information out there, you just need to look.

find_jackass
28th September 2007, 03:49 PM
thanks mate,

by the time you reply me. i've already got all the info i need and unlock 3 x iphones different ways.

but now, im stuck with the 1.1.1v

mmmm... just wondering would the oldschool way of doing it HARDWARE unlock way work ?
mmm.. cant activate it afterwards either right ?

any inputs ?
:confused:

W9cae
28th September 2007, 04:11 PM
I would hold off now if your phones are 1.1.1 if they have firmware 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 you can unlock.

to install any version of firmware before 1.1.1 you hold down the option key while clicking the update key with your mouse.

Pej
6th October 2007, 06:52 PM
I have done a search through the various threads - but i would like opinions from those with hardware unlocked iphones -

in the country i am currently in there is quite a few hardware unlocked iphone in a nice glass cabinet display at a local 'kmart' type store. is it worth purchasing one of these or just waiting to pick one up new in a few weeks from the Nov 9th launch in Europe and doing a software unlock? (although would have to wait til a software unlokck is made for 1.1.1)

has anyone with hardware unlocks had issues with the new update or has everybody just stayed well clear of it?

Thanks!

(It is so cool to be able to go play with one in a store - but i am amazed at how they have got so many! - although at a highly inflated price!)

cplicious
11th October 2007, 09:17 PM
So will the hardware unlock work with firmware 1.1.1???

Rasta
21st October 2007, 10:20 PM
So will the hardware unlock work with firmware 1.1.1???

I'm bumping this question as I want to know the answer...

Plus, I'm a tad confused about unlocking the iPhone (the ones I'm going to get will no doubt have 1.1.1 on them)...

How do you actually do it? I've looked around the web and they're saying don't do it this way if you've got 1.1.1 on it... but from what I understand is they've gotten around that too right??

Linux_insidev2
22nd October 2007, 09:40 AM
Hardware unlock will not work at all with 1.1.1 - the hardware unlock is identical to the anySIM and iunlock methods as they found a way to do it without jumpering the testpoint.

A hardware unlock has not been devised for 1.1.1 AFAIK