PDA

View Full Version : iStat menus 1.1 released

iSlayer
3rd September 2007, 06:08 PM
http://islayer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ism11preview.jpg

The iStat menus 1.0 release went a little better than expected and no serious bugs were reported, so we’ve spent the last couple of months working on new features for version 1.1. We’ve taken everyone’s comments on board and added a whole lot of other things we wanted. So, chances are if there’s something you wanted from iStat menus (within reason!), then we now have it.
Once again a special thanks to the people here who helped test this release

New features and fixes in iStat menus 1.1

Redesigned the entire pref pane interface
Added support for 24 hour time in world clocks section
Added support for temperature monitoring of S.M.A.R.T. capable hard drives
Added ability to re-order world clock in preference pane
Added activity monitor button to CPU extra (10.5 only)
Added activity monitor button to memory extra (10.5 only)
Added iSync button to Bluetooth extra
Added option to show usage breakdowns in CPU graphs
Added option to show usage breakdowns in memory graphs
Added option to use custom graph colors in CPU extra
Added option to use custom graph colors in memory extra
Added option to choose if inactive memory is treated as free.
Swap display in memory extra now displays used swap (previously just total swap)
Added option to show week numbers in calendar
Added option to hide/show am/pm in world clocks
Fixed bug with time changes not being reflected in date & time extra
Fixed bug with network filtering
Added option to use monday as first day of week in calendar
Fixed bug with 3rd load average value in CPU extra
Fixed display bug with long values in network extra
Reduced minimum size of history graphs in CPU and memory extras
Added support for graphs in network extra
Added ability to view other months in calendar (10.5 only)
Redesigned calendar and world clocks in date & time extra
Clicking on disk icons will open the drive in Finder (10.5 only)
Fixed bug with display on 24 hour clock
Added Network Utility & Internet Connect buttons to network extra (10.5 only)
Improved 10.5 support

Get it now (http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28)

Rasta
3rd September 2007, 06:14 PM
Awesome... once again, you guys rock! :thumbup:

The Architect.mac
3rd September 2007, 06:17 PM
well done, awesome work, a great release...

rosedale79
3rd September 2007, 06:24 PM
very impressive piece of work...

eni
3rd September 2007, 06:31 PM
Congratulations on your release. Currently I'm interested in the calendar (the inbuilt support for multiple time-zones was unexpected and is brilliant) and RAM stats. Although I'm sure others will delight in micro managing everything, I thank you for allowing fine-grained customisation so that it can satisfy all types of users. Other developers (myself included) should learn from your fine example. Well done.

Sambo
3rd September 2007, 07:03 PM
Very nice as always, great job guys.

Phase
3rd September 2007, 07:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Pistolpd/installer.jpg

This alone had me grinning, well done

iTalk
3rd September 2007, 07:38 PM
Great work iSlayer, however you got the Middle East and Asia a bit messed up.
I think it'd be more convenient to delete the Middle East, and add the countries in that section into Asia.
For instant, Iraq is a middle eastern country, and is located in Asia, however it's missing from the Middle East section. The same applies to Kuwait, which is an Asian country and located in the middle east.

Dubhousing
3rd September 2007, 08:18 PM
Hi guys.

Disaster with my install. All I get is the cross in the widget window, otherwise the whole thing is invisible. Standard iMac running 10.4.10. Am I the only one having problems?

marc
3rd September 2007, 08:35 PM
Hi guys.

Disaster with my install. All I get is the cross in the widget window, otherwise the whole thing is invisible. Standard iMac running 10.4.10. Am I the only one having problems?
This is an application (well, preference pane and menu extras), not a widget!

Congratulations on your release. Currently I'm interested in the calendar (the inbuilt support for multiple time-zones was unexpected and is brilliant) and RAM stats. Although I'm sure others will delight in micro managing everything, I thank you for allowing fine-grained customisation so that it can satisfy all types of users. Other developers (myself included) should learn from your fine example. Well done.
Thanks! The cal/clock has more on coming ;)

Peter Wells
3rd September 2007, 08:41 PM
apple.com really should do one of those feature interviews on you guys, or just bloody hire you.

top work!

Galumay
3rd September 2007, 08:53 PM
well done guys, final release exceeds our expectations i believe!!

you should be very proud of your work.

Dubhousing
3rd September 2007, 09:08 PM
This is an application (well, preference pane and menu extras), not a widget!

OK, point taken. Still, although I get it in my preference pane nothing appears in the menu bar. What am I doing wrong?

Edit - OK, got it now. Great work guys.

marc
3rd September 2007, 09:30 PM
OK, point taken. Still, although I get it in my preference pane nothing appears in the menu bar. What am I doing wrong?
Yeah, you have to turn them on :)

you should be very proud of your work.

Now might be a good time to mention iSlayer has done a lot more work on this one that I have. He's spent the last two months on it almost full time. He's done such a great job... version 1.0 had almost no bugs. It's looking like this will be the same.

:thumbup:

GraphicDZNR
3rd September 2007, 09:32 PM
Nice job guys bar one thing - My memery meter doesn't change black when that option is checked in the preferences (all the others do).

iSlayer
3rd September 2007, 09:43 PM
Nice job guys bar one thing - My memery meter doesn't change black when that option is checked in the preferences (all the others do).

For now there is a workaround you can use to get around the bug. Turn on the "Use custom graph colors" option and have the "Show usage breakdowns in graphs" option off then set the overall color to black.

mattmac
4th September 2007, 12:36 AM
I installed the latest update and now my preference panel won't load "Preferences Error - Could not load iStat Menus"

marc
4th September 2007, 10:36 AM
Hmm... even after a restart?

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 11:36 AM
If it doesnt work after a restart either just try reinstalling it.

mattmac
4th September 2007, 11:38 AM
I just restarted, logged in and it said a newer version was available, so i installed the newer version again and same issue with the preferences panel not working.

How do i uninstall it completely? Then ill try reinstalling :)

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 11:40 AM
There should be an uninstaller located at /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Helpers/iStat menus Uninstaller.app

Could you open up console.app (/Applications/Utilities/) and see if there are any errors from system preferences in console.log

mattmac
4th September 2007, 12:03 PM
Ok used the uninstaller, but didn't remove it from System Preferences.. Do I have to do that manually ?? I reinstalled and same problem.

Console.log from when i opened it first thing this morning..

2007-09-04 11:38:12.021 SystemUIServer[293] Normally iStatMenusCPU would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-09-04 11:38:12.984 SystemUIServer[293] Normally iStatMenusMemory would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-09-04 11:38:13.464 SystemUIServer[293] Normally iStatMenusDisks would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-09-04 11:38:13.905 SystemUIServer[293] Normally iStatMenusNetwork would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-09-04 11:38:22.269 System Preferences[292] [NSPrefPaneBundle instantiatePrefPaneObject] (/Users/admin/Library/PreferencePanes/iStat menus.prefPane): principalClass is nil.

chrism238
4th September 2007, 12:19 PM
Great work iSlayer, however you got the Middle East and Asia a bit messed up.
I think it'd be more convenient to delete the Middle East, and add the countries in that section into Asia.
For instant, Iraq is a middle eastern country, and is located in Asia, however it's missing from the Middle East section. The same applies to Kuwait, which is an Asian country and located in the middle east.I'm unsure why the directories in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ weren't simply used to provide the more "traditional" locations of these cities. As we saw a few beta problems with August only having 30 days, I fear that some of the standard Unix infrastructure is not being used :confused:

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm unsure why the directories in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ weren't simply used to provide the more "traditional" locations of these cities.

We didnt want the menu to be that long.

As we saw a few beta problems with August only having 30 days, I fear that some of the standard Unix infrastructure is not being used :confused:

We are using the standard Cocoa infrastructure. The month length bug was the result of a silly mistake.

chrism238
4th September 2007, 01:00 PM
We are using the standard Cocoa infrastructure. The month length bug was the result of a silly mistake.OK....but I thought that my coding had a monopoly out on those..

marc
4th September 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm unsure why the directories in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ weren't simply used to provide the more "traditional" locations of these cities. As we saw a few beta problems with August only having 30 days, I fear that some of the standard Unix infrastructure is not being used :confused:
We've had thousands of downloads and quite a few emails and it seems like the only bugs are:
- some slightly undesirable behaviour when the "use black graphs and icons in menubar" is checked (mem doesn't go black... which can be set manually if the user wants anyway).
- 12:xx rather than 0:xx for 24 hour clocks.

I think that's pretty amazing for the release.
(thanks again to all the testers)

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 02:21 PM
Console.log from when i opened it first thing this morning..

Did you use any of the 1.1 betas we posted on here ?

D14852001neko
4th September 2007, 02:22 PM
Just a small notice... Why is Mexico City in the South America category? Its not there, Mexico is part of North America. This is on Date & Time.

North America consists of Canada, USA and Mexico.

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 02:23 PM
Just a small notice... Why is Mexico City in the South America category? Its not there, Mexico is part of North America. This is on Date & Time.

North America consists of Canada, USA and Mexico.

Will make sure its fixed in the next release :)

mwot
4th September 2007, 02:32 PM
ooh, it may not be new in this release (can't remember the last one i downloaded) but i love the BT mouse and kb battery indicators :thumbup:

any chance of putting those two into the iStat menus?

edit: ok. wait. already there under the BT icon of iStat menus :thumbup: :thumbup:

mattmac
4th September 2007, 02:35 PM
Did you use any of the 1.1 betas we posted on here ?

I think just 1.0 since it said i was using that, and the update to 1.1 is now available etc.

SnapperNZ
4th September 2007, 04:06 PM
For now there is a workaround you can use to get around the bug. Turn on the "Use custom graph colors" option and have the "Show usage breakdowns in graphs" option off then set the overall color to black.

This unfortunately means that when you click on the memory icon to show more information, you can't see the historical graph as the background is also black..........

Not that I'm complaining - I love the iStat apps :D

Snapper in NZ........

iTalk
4th September 2007, 04:23 PM
Will make sure its fixed in the next release :)

Thanks for ignoring my note :)

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for ignoring my note :)

will get yours fixed aswell ;)

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 04:36 PM
This unfortunately means that when you click on the memory icon to show more information, you can't see the historical graph as the background is also black..........

good point. We might release an minor update later in the week to fix it. Until then find a nice shade of grey ;)

hiredgoon
4th September 2007, 10:43 PM
it updated without a hitch.

im just wondering if there is any way i can move the date to be next to the time to the very right of the bar?

hiredgoon
4th September 2007, 10:49 PM
its ok.... i found it in the blog page

RESPECT!

mattmac
4th September 2007, 11:02 PM
Hmm its working now. After I installed it for the 5th time I just selected no to replace the current istat preference panel and it seems to be working :p

iSlayer
5th September 2007, 07:52 PM
Hmm its working now. After I installed it for the 5th time I just selected no to replace the current istat preference panel and it seems to be working :p

That actually sounds kind of wierd. It *shouldnt* ask you if you want to install the new pane. All the work is done in the installer.
What version of OS X are you running ?

mattmac
5th September 2007, 09:04 PM
The latest of course :) 10.4.10

thebag
6th September 2007, 08:38 AM
iSlayer, Great work on iStat but I was wondering do you have any plans to make the background for the date and time section of the menu bar match the other sections.

On my set up I go from black backgrounds on Fans, HD, CPU usage to a white background on the clock.

It;s only aesthetics, but I think it would be nicer in black.

Mark

iSlayer
6th September 2007, 08:43 AM
iSlayer, Great work on iStat but I was wondering do you have any plans to make the background for the date and time section of the menu bar match the other sections.

We do but it wont work on 10.4. Expect to see it in 1.2.
You will love it. I've been using it for a while already and it looks fantastic

redkevin
6th September 2007, 01:59 PM
With the "Temps" menu, if I turn off "Show TMP in title", there seems to be a UI bug when you click on the temperature. The white, inverted TMP title shows up on top of (or behind) the temperature in the menu.

http://kandmcreative.com/temp/istat.png

EXCELLENT APP, BTW.

iSlayer
6th September 2007, 02:06 PM
With the "Temps" menu, if I turn off "Show TMP in title", there seems to be a UI bug when you click on the temperature. The white, inverted TMP title shows up on top of (or behind) the temperature in the menu.

Not sure how that made it past the beta's. Ill make sure it gets fixed in the next release

redkevin
6th September 2007, 02:20 PM
Not sure how that made it past the beta's. Ill make sure it gets fixed in the next release

I love your software, and am low on funds to give you what the apps are worth. Is there a way I can get involved in beta testing for iSlayer?

iSlayer
6th September 2007, 02:32 PM
We post the beta's on this forum when they are available.
The next major release should go into beta around mid october.

Jivec
8th September 2007, 04:44 PM
hello,

I want to be able to use the calender clock function but because i am a obsessive retard.. i want the clock to show

Sep 9 | 4:33

i can do this with the normal apple clock.

is this possible with istat? if not i would like to put it in as feature request

iSlayer
8th September 2007, 04:51 PM
At the moment you cant add additional characters like "|" but you will be able to in 1.2

Jivec
8th September 2007, 05:07 PM
cool, ill also put in another request for battery monitoring(to replace slim battery) and ical integration

Thanks, keep up the awesome work

purana
12th September 2007, 06:40 PM
Found a bug, when you install. You can choose to install the Intel Sensors manually and it spawns a web browser and of course the URL it uses no longer exists (my guess is the forum post contained info on how to install sensors manually).

And it tried to spawn this URL (http://islayer.com/support/?p=31).

iSlayer
12th September 2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks purana. Ill make sure it gets sorted tonight or tomorrow

purana
12th September 2007, 06:55 PM
And I think I just found another, but its a bit harder to explain..

EDIT: Will do my best to explain, open iStat menus, goto Fans. Tick show fans, the Fan Sensors to monitor are all ticked on my machine. Optical, CPU and Hard drive.

The FAN rpm shown is the Optical drive. If I untick it, then the RPM shown on menu bar changes by 1rpm, and it don't match that of the CPU fan. If untick CPU fan, the RPM shown on menu bar still don't match that of the Hard Drive RPM speed.

Does this make sense?

iSlayer
12th September 2007, 07:22 PM
Unticking items doesnt affect the menubar display.
To change the fan thats shown in the menubar you use the "Primary" menu in the preference pane

purana
12th September 2007, 07:32 PM
Unticking items doesnt affect the menubar display.
To change the fan thats shown in the menubar you use the "Primary" menu in the preference pane

Okay, I am not interested in fan speed :) temp, memory, network and cpu is all I need. Grab application, I think I will use it over my old favourite menu meters ;)

iSlayer
3rd October 2007, 09:19 PM
Yep thats a known issue. Will be fixed in 1.2

The Architect.mac
3rd October 2007, 09:32 PM
the teasers have been good, when is the release...

iSlayer
3rd October 2007, 09:37 PM
Dont have a firm date yet. We have 1 really big new feature(revealed on the blog soon) that is going to take a little while to get perfect. Im hoping for late this month

iSlayer
3rd October 2007, 11:02 PM
You will find out soon enough :). I'll post the complete major feature list here before we finish posting them on the blog.

It's not really a huge surprise. Lots of people have asked for it to be added and we have even talked about it before.