PDA

View Full Version : Tethering Laptop to BlackBerry to Access Internet

harps
3rd September 2007, 12:26 PM
Has anyone successfully accessed the internet on their iBook/Powerbook using a BlackBerry (Pearl) as the modem through a bluetooth connection?

harps
3rd September 2007, 12:59 PM
I should explain why I am asking this question.
I have a BlackBerry (Pearl) for work e-mail and I reguarly travel interstate.
I'm sick of "lugging" my work IBM laptop (feels like it weighs 5+kg's) and was thinking of buying a 2nd hand 12" iBook or PowerBook so I can access the internet be it via WiFi or Broadband cable to view/edit attachments and access files via Citrix via a light and portable device.
However some hotels in rural locations I have to access the internet via Dial Up so it would be just as easy to do so via using the BlackBerry as bluetooth modem.
Hence question can this be done.

dla
3rd September 2007, 05:01 PM
It can definately be done, you just have to install drivers for the blackberry to use it as a modem, works with my SE k750i anyway, so I'm sure the blackberry should do it

Exocet
3rd September 2007, 08:47 PM
Blackberrys require proprietary software. I know that Telstra had to release their own connection manager software to do it on Windows, so I'd say you'd be fresh out of luck with OS X.

harps
27th September 2007, 01:45 PM
I've followed some instructions I found through a blackberry forum re setting up the drivers for the blackberry on the mac.
This has all been done, the mac recognises the blackberry, dials the number, but then seams to stall on establishing a connection.
Has anyone out there been able to set up an internet connect with a Mac via a Blackberry through bluetooth?

AppleSammy
18th October 2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Harps,

I got myself a bberry and when I get some time might try using the bberry as a bluetooth modem.
I found this site potentially useful and thought worthwhile posting how to use your blackberry as a bluetooth modem for Mac (http://www.askdavetaylor.com/blackberry_pearl_as_bluetooth_modem_with_mac.html) just incase you were not aware of it.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Sam