PDA

View Full Version : Metadata Editor

lukerhn
3rd September 2007, 11:35 AM
Hey All,
I'm mucking about with video in the new iMovie (08), but had to convert it from the crappy format it was in to another one that iMovie, which works great, but now iMovie thinks that I shot the video this year, even though the files are from last.

Does anyone know of a metadata editor I can use to change the create date on my files. It's annoyinge.

Ta!

Silver
3rd September 2007, 11:38 AM
touch will do this on the command line. Don't know of any graphical utilities.

Zurg
3rd September 2007, 01:38 PM
BatChmod possibly? (It's a graphical client, I'm at work so I can't double check that is can actually do this till tonight). However it is a nice little app.

zbaron
3rd September 2007, 02:25 PM
Metadata Hootenanny ?

http://www.applesolutions.com/bantha/MH.html

lukerhn
3rd September 2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions… as far as I can tell:

- Touch only does modify / access dates, not create dates
- BatChmod just does permissions (but very useful)
- and Metadata Hootenanny does the metadata inside MOV files. No create date unfort.

The only program I ever remember seeing with this feature was ResEdit, but I can't run classic on my new MBP!! Hmmm....

g5agogo
4th September 2007, 12:08 AM
Ah, resedit! Those were the days.

Well, if it's just the create date you're worried about and it's only one or two files, I guess you could always open each file with quicktime pro (or perhaps even iMovie), reset your mac's date to the correct creation date, save as new_file_name, and everyone's happy.

Don't forget to reset your calendar afterward.

lukerhn
4th September 2007, 09:30 AM
Good call g5agogo. I'd hoped in this modern world there may have been an easier way!

lukerhn
11th October 2007, 11:09 AM
I know this is ages old now, but I just thought to follow this up for anyone who needed to know. I found the app A Better Finder Attributes (http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderAttributes/index.html) that lets you change creation and modification dates (time and a bunch of other attributes are supported too!). Might be useful for anyone else like me who wants their iMovie library as imported from tape to have some historical relevance!!