PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Kiosks for Sept 5?

Aa
3rd September 2007, 09:29 AM
"It's rumored that Apple will be unveiling iTunes kiosks this Wednesday. The kiosks will be distributed to various retail outlets within the northern U.S. and will allow anyone to connect their iPod/iPhone and buy some tunes on the spot."

Full story here (http://albotas.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47)
also on Digg (http://digg.com/apple/Apple_to_unveil_iTunes_Kiosks_at_event_this_Wednes day)

Interesting rumour...

decryption
3rd September 2007, 09:33 AM
Zzz, kiosks? That's so 1990s. Everyone has the internet at home. If they don't have the Internet at home, you've got to ask yourself why they own an iPod in the first place ,hah

spargo
3rd September 2007, 09:38 AM
Agreed. that is poor if it what the hype is about. apple shareholders will be gutted if that is the announcement, because the gains their stock have had in the last 48hrs will be well and truly belted for a homer if that's all they come out with.

it sounds like one of those phone banking setups that supermarkets came out with years back, expecting that people will want to stand in the noisy front-end of a Woolworths and undertake phone banking transactions amongst trolleys, screaming children, and loudspeaker requests for 'price-checks'..

iSlayer
3rd September 2007, 09:40 AM
"It's rumored that Apple will be unveiling iTunes kiosks this Wednesday. The kiosks will be distributed to various retail outlets within the northern U.S. and will allow anyone to connect their iPod/iPhone and buy some tunes on the spot."

Full story here (http://albotas.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47)
also on Digg (http://digg.com/apple/Apple_to_unveil_iTunes_Kiosks_at_event_this_Wednes day)

Interesting rumour...

Even more access to itms.... Cant be a bad thing. Aslong as its a minor thing at the event then it sounds good.

mattsfk
3rd September 2007, 09:44 AM
I'd laugh if here in Australia these iTunes kiosks were to become more common than the pay phone, which sadly, is in demise.

The Fluffy Duck
3rd September 2007, 09:47 AM
I'd laugh if here in Australia these iTunes kiosks were to become more common than the pay phone, which sadly, is in demise.

Like Australia would get them at all. True the COIN pay phone is in demise replaced by CARD pay phones which defeat the purpose of an emergency phone :(

SyncMan
3rd September 2007, 09:56 AM

Or in Melbourne get your fill of your iPod whilst buying a tram ticket and traveling on said tram :D :D :D

mattsfk
3rd September 2007, 10:00 AM
Oh GOD, why does that make think of inspectors checking your ipods on public transport for illegally downloaded music? LOL

SyncMan
3rd September 2007, 10:05 AM
Oh GOD, why does that make think of inspectors checking your ipods on public transport for illegally downloaded music? LOL

And they would be the plain clothed ones, that sit next to you, until they jump up and ask you your iTunes account email, and then do a cross check would they be :D

Peter Wells
3rd September 2007, 10:15 AM
i think they're a great idea.sure, we've all got the net at home, but i have the shittiest excuse for "broadband" you can get. if i could go to melbourne central and download ten tv shows in ten minutes, i'd happily do it. (i do already, leaching of rmit wireless, but thats another story)

Razer
3rd September 2007, 10:31 AM
These kiosks or something similar will replace CD stores. Perhaps in 10+ years. i will alleviate the average punters fear of buying things over the internet. Yes I realise it's exactly the same thing but people are stupid and having a physical presence in a 'mall' will increase sales. This might be a signal for wireless transfer for the new ipods..

Aa
3rd September 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm probably with iSlayer. it'd better be a minor thing.

Gimme my coverflow iPod goddamit!

MrJesseRoss
3rd September 2007, 10:54 AM
I first heard rumours of an iPod kiosk last Christmas, when our music department got iPods and extra phonelines in (It was of course a massively unsubstantiated rumour. Especially as I was the one who started it.:o )

So I did a search and found an Australian company called 22Moo (http://www.22moo.com.au/), who were in the midst of developing a kiosk where you could plug your iPod in and connect to iTunes. And they seem to have it ready, if this website (http://www.digitaldiner9.com/) is anything to go by.

What is the Digital Diner 9 ?
The Digital Diner9 is the world's first third-party iPod and iPhone compatible internet kiosk. It runs our purposely built extension that allows Apple iTunes® and Safari™ to be used securely in a public environment.

Proudly driven by the latest available release of Apple OS X and an powered by an iMac 20", we believe this is one the most advanced internet kiosk of its type.

Compatibility
We had taken the time to await for all the major mobile digital devices from Apple such as the iPod® Video and the hugekly successful iPhone™

Our kiosk is compatible with an iPod™ that supports a dock connector, the iPod™ shuffle (1st & 2nd generation) and also the NEW iPhone™.

Security and Privacy
Security of our system and your privacy is our number one concern. We keep all our systems up to date with the latest security patches by remote administration. With your personal details, internet history, visited websites, entered details - we perform a triple clean sweep of all data from system startup to session start and end.

Applications
There is literally thousands of use for our kiosk from using it as a normal internet self-service kiosk to a artist promotion tool offering FREE downloads in-store.

Their website is announcing a 2008 release. So an official Apple iTunes kiosk might not be far off the mark.

aussieholden
5th September 2007, 11:52 AM
September 5th is here and nothing that I can see no new ipod ?

decryption
5th September 2007, 11:53 AM
September 5th is here and nothing that I can see no new ipod ?

Err, September 5th in the USA mate :p

aussieholden
5th September 2007, 11:54 AM
Should be something on the web right even the apple site ?

decryption
5th September 2007, 11:56 AM
Should be something on the web right even the apple site ?

Well the event hasn't even happened yet. it happens aroudn 3AM Thursday morning AEST. Log on to apple.com around 7AM tomorrow and you'll see new stuff :p

MrJesseRoss
5th September 2007, 11:57 AM
Pesky timezones!

aussieholden
5th September 2007, 11:58 AM
Well the event hasn't even happened yet. it happens aroudn 3AM Thursday morning AEST. Log on to apple.com around 7AM tomorrow and you'll see new stuff :p

Will do thanks unless there going to dely the release :rolleyes:

decryption
5th September 2007, 12:07 PM
Pesky timezones!

Why can't the sun just shine on the entire world at the same time?! It makes telling the time very confusing :(

MrJesseRoss
5th September 2007, 12:29 PM
Will do thanks unless there going to dely the release :rolleyes:

Somehow I doubt that they're going to delay making an announcement...

aussieholden
5th September 2007, 01:16 PM
I spouse when it's available there will be that delivery delay like with the current macs as well.

Wally
5th September 2007, 01:18 PM
Why can't the sun just shine on the entire world at the same time?! It makes telling the time very confusing :(

Lets just make 50 suns and launch them into space :)