PDA

View Full Version : White iBook G3s

dolbinau
31st August 2007, 08:57 PM
Is it me or does every single shot I see of it make it look 'dirty' (second hand?)

It is probably the grey colour/slightly worn transparent keys that does this.

I'm just wondering for those that have had experience with the white iBook G3s..do they have a tendency to get dirty/stained or is it just the photos?

spilla
31st August 2007, 09:02 PM
The keys on my iBook G3 always looked 'dirty' and grey, but it was just the transparency and the metal parts underneath.

The only parts that were noticeably worn/dirty were the trackpad and palm rests, but it wasn't too noticeable. :)

Byrd
1st September 2007, 09:00 AM
The plastic on iBooks is easily scratched from normal use, making what was once a glossy machine appear dull. If well cared for though they still look pretty good.

I've had success with cleaning plastics using Meguiar's PlastX polish, available at Autobarn or Super Cheap. It removes most of the very fine scratches easily.

JB

sanjay
1st September 2007, 04:03 PM
mothers' plastic polish does a good job of shining up snow ibooks, but the fine scratches are there to stay unfortunately (ive used radtech's ice creme, iDrops, and this plastic polish, and nothing has gotten rid of them).

its for that reason that if i ever buy another apple notebook, it'll have to be aluminium :)

kim jong il
1st September 2007, 05:09 PM
My folks have one of these and it still looks great. No discolouration of any sort.

black_nail
16th October 2007, 05:55 AM
I've got one of these (500mhz) and it has had a really tough life!

i got it about 3 years ago from an auction - it was ex school computer.

since i have had it i have killed two keyboards (spilling drinks), killed the ethernet port by knocking it off the table while plugged in, making it hang (lucky it has airport!) and also badly bent the power socket by doing the same thing!
the battery lasts about 15 mins and a couple of keys are missing..

i know i should have tossed this in the bin long ago, but it is STILL sexier than any of my friends PC notebooks!

being so old, slow and bashed though, it hardly gets looked at anymore..
getting a MBP this week, but i still don't think i'll toss the old ibook... It's my first Mac! it's sentimental.

the poor thing!

TJ

Danamania
16th October 2007, 05:57 AM
For comparison - a *truly* dirty one, and then the truly dirty one with every millimetre of its surface cleaned:

http://www.danamania.com/temp/beforeafter.jpg

Dana

LCGuy
16th October 2007, 07:44 AM
Are you sure those aren't two completely different iBooks? ;) j/k

stevejay
16th October 2007, 08:19 AM
That before shot is putrid!

Arkhum_Eramak
16th October 2007, 08:47 AM
Golly-gosh! Was that a school iBook? Surely only a student could be on Steve's 'list of people allowed to buy Macs' who would degrade it so! Oh the horror of it all!

You did a great job cleaning it Dana, congratulations!

My old iBook never had any troible, although I did only have it for a very short period of time. My girlfriend's current iBook also seems relatively stain free - although my PowerBook G4 is a bit of a different story! Stacked a TiBook on top of it at one stage, and the rubber feet left a big black mark on it that wont come off :(

LCGuy
16th October 2007, 08:52 AM
Either it was a school machine, or it was owned by a kid, judging by the stickers and other crap on it in the "before" shot.

stewiesno1
16th October 2007, 09:29 AM
Dana , that truly was a dirty iBook. I thought my white keyboard looked a bit grubby but that one looked like you could get the Plague from. Good result though.
So what do you guys recommend for cleaning the older black Powerbooks like the Lombard and Pismo? I have a couple that I have cleaned but the fine scratches still persist. Heavier ones I know I will never get out.
Stewie