PDA

View Full Version : Program for adding HTML meta tags

bohemian_kitten
31st August 2007, 02:23 PM
Can anyone suggest a good (free) one that is easy to use, or is it worth paying the US$25 for a serial no. for Fetch, just so that I can add the meta tags between <head> and </head> on my web page.

(Also, does this need to be done on EVERY page, or just the index page? I am so computer illiterate!)

Alternately, is there a way it can be done through FireFTP, or is there another add-on that can do it?

Any help, as usual, is much appreciated! :)

Ta.

marc
31st August 2007, 02:34 PM
:o

You can do it with TextEdit, in your applications folder!

You will need it in the header on all pages probably. Most websites have a separate header file, so you put it in there once, and the entire site gets it. What are you using to make the web site?

Edit: TextEdit can do it, but it's a little awkward. Maybe Smultron would be a better (free) choice. http://smultron.sourceforge.net/

bohemian_kitten
31st August 2007, 02:44 PM
:o

You can do it with TextEdit, in your applications folder!

You will need it in the header on all pages probably. Most websites have a separate header file, so you put it in there once, and the entire site gets it. What are you using to make the web site?

Serious???!!!! Will wonders never cease!! :)

I've made my site using iWeb (cause I am soooooooooo not good with computers!) But with my hosting package, I received free SEO, keyword generator etc ....

So, now for the dumb question ..... How do I do it? :o

EDIT:

Ok, so you edited before I finished posting!

marc
31st August 2007, 02:50 PM
I'm not entirely sure how iWeb works, but I assume there's main HTML pages with <head> tags in them?

You just need to insert the meta tags you want by copy + pasting or typing them in using a text editor. You'll have to do this every time you export the website (unless iWeb has a way to do the meta tags automatically, which is possible).

Here's what the tags for this page look like:

<meta name="keywords" content="Program for adding HTML meta tags, appletalk,mactalk,vbulletin,forum,bbs,discussion,j elsoft,bulletin board" />
<meta name="description" content="Program for adding HTML meta tags Mac OS X &amp; All Software" />

You just need to make them appropriate for your website. ie:

<meta name="keywords" content="kittens,white,orange" />
<meta name="description" content="The best place on the internet for information about white and orange kittens!" />

I think that's right. Any meta or iWeb gurus want to confirm or offer better suggestions?

marc
31st August 2007, 02:54 PM
Just to add... be aware that SEO is quite often complete and utter garbage. It's in the search engine's best interests to try and treat all sites equally, no matter how they're built. Stuff like adding hidden text on a site is likely to have your site removed from search engines altogether.

The way to rank high is to be popular.

The reason for adding in meta tags and nice page titles is so they can be used to better display what's on your page in a search engine, not to try and get things to rank higher. In fact, page titles are probably more important than meta data tags.