PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Can stolen iBook be tracked?

carlow1
31st August 2007, 01:23 PM
My friends house has just been broken into and everything stolen including her iBook. She only bought it a few months back off one of our MacTalk members. I was wondering if it's possible to track it, or locate it if the thief uses it for internet etc? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:(

Wally
31st August 2007, 01:29 PM
Perhaps a serial number could be used to track it for repair.

Not sure if you can track it online unless the thieve uses the same login for the internet.

call up the ISP they may be able to help, they may not

fompsweeva
31st August 2007, 01:47 PM
Give me a serial number. I frequently visit cash converters here in adelaide (all of them) and I can check 'em out for you.

mwot
31st August 2007, 01:49 PM
Perhaps a serial number could be used to track it for repair.

Not sure if you can track it online unless the thieve uses the same login for the internet.

call up the ISP they may be able to help, they may not

on this point, it would be a very, very good idea to change all your logon passwords to anything and everything ... email accounts, ISP tools, banking, etc.

sanjay
31st August 2007, 01:50 PM
well i work at one of the cash converters in adelaide, so maybe i can be a better help to you.

we very rarely get any kind of mac stuff in though. i know personally the guy who sold us his ibook :p

fompsweeva
31st August 2007, 01:56 PM
well i work at one of the cash converters in adelaide, so maybe i can be a better help to you.

we very rarely get any kind of mac stuff in though. i know personally the guy who sold us his ibook :p

Which one?

sanjay
31st August 2007, 02:09 PM
not something im going to say on a public forum (as i enjoy some level of anonymity), you can PM me if you like ;)

carlow1
31st August 2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. I'm trying to contact my friend now to see if she has the serial number. Fompsweeva & Sanjay I'll PM you if I get it. Thanks for your help.