PDA

View Full Version : Dual 450ghz G4 vs 1ghz iBook?

fompsweeva
6th February 2005, 10:20 PM
Howdy,

Would a Dual 450 outrun an iBook 450ghz, be about the same, or will the iBook shit all over it?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a desktop of decent quality and I already have an iBook.

Thanks
-Mike

Phillip
6th February 2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Feb 6 2005, 11:20 PM
Would a Dual 450 outrun an iBook 450ghz, be about the same, or will the iBook shit all over it?
iBook 450 Ghz would shit all over the 500 times slower Dual 450 Mhz! :D

If you meant 1 Ghz, well I would get an iBook cause its likely to have a much better graphics card, faster memory to make an overall faster system. However, that depends on what configuration the Dual 450 Mhz PowerMac is. :lol:

fompsweeva
6th February 2005, 11:02 PM
I made a few typo's up there. :rolleyes:

What I mean is, I currently use a 1ghz ibook, and I'm looking at buying a DP 450mhz G4 tower for a permanent desktop machine.

So the REAL question I am trying to ask, is... will a Dual 450mhz G4 be okay in comparison to my iBook?

I'm assuming I could upgrade the video in the DP, and add more ram (up to 1.5gig) .

Here are the specs for the 450 DP:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powe..._g4_450_dp.html (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_450_dp.html)

The iBook is 1ghz, 768megs of ram.

Rayd
6th February 2005, 11:06 PM
i think it all depends on:
1. what you need it for
2. what the prices are
3. do you need portabililty?
2. do you need expansion. i know i do, i have a Pioneer DVR-108 dual layer burner, a flashed 9800 Pro (thanks sprinter) heaps of ram, a belkin wireless card, a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card and a soon to be DVR-T HDTV TV Tuner card. (ALL PCI SLOTS FULL! O.o ) and all that in my Dual 800mhz Powermac G4... i love it! :D

iSlayer
7th February 2005, 01:44 AM
stick with the ibook
it makes the dual 450 look like a load of crap

the ibook would beat the tower in 99% of things with no probs.
not to mention how nice the ibooks are to use and look at.
wish i still had one

and in respnse to ipod_man's expansion ideas you can do most of them on an ibook aswell.
airport extreme for wireless,m-audio 5.1/7.1 revolution firewire or usb box,firewire tv tuner(such as the eyetv).
you cant upgrade the video obviously but the dual 450 is just to damn slow for games
only a small percentage of games use both cpu's and even with a radeon 9800 the dual 450 would still get lower framerates then the ibook in any modern game

Rayd
7th February 2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Feb 7 2005, 02:44 AM
and in respnse to ipod_man's expansion ideas you can do most of them on an ibook aswell.
airport extreme for wireless,m-audio 5.1/7.1 revolution firewire or usb box,firewire tv tuner(such as the eyetv).
you cant upgrade the video obviously but the dual 450 is just to damn slow for games
only a small percentage of games use both cpu's and even with a radeon 9800 the dual 450 would still get lower framerates then the ibook in any modern game
yes that is true you can upgrade everything i mentioned, but it all comes at a cost, the TV Tuner i will be getting is $180 while the eyetv if you want anything near the quality you get with the DVB-T you would need to pay up to $800 and not to mention the box that you need to carry around if you want to take it with you. and for the superdrive upgrade on the iBook you can get up to 8x dual layer but it costs near $650 aswell, you need MCE to ship it to AppleCentre Broadway then it costs around $500 for the drive around $50 for postage and around $60 for installation. while if you had a powermac all you need is a generic Pioneer DVR-108 ($110) and you on your way. and the sound card :| that cost at least 2x the price of the Revolution 5.1. :)

plz correct me if im wrong by the way. :D (i think im correct though) :D

iSlayer
7th February 2005, 06:34 AM
yes your right the upgrade will cost more but it still comes down to which system will be faster with or without the upgrades

and that would clearly be the ibook.
anyone who has used both systems would tell you the same thing.

you have to remember how slow a 450mhz g4 is.
its very slow.
i have 2 400mhz g4 systems are they are good for no more then web browsing,word processing,os 9 games.

if you want to do any gaming,video editing,dvd authoring,music production... then the tower is too damn slow.the ibook will so those things generally about 3x faster and quite often more.

the fact is only a few things use dual cpu's.if you plan to use the system for the basics of basics and playing quake 3 then get then sure get the tower but even then the ibook will kill it.

but if you want a faster system that will last longer keep the ibook

fompsweeva
7th February 2005, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Feb 7 2005, 01:44 AM
stick with the ibook
it makes the dual 450 look like a load of crap

the ibook would beat the tower in 99% of things with no probs.
not to mention how nice the ibooks are to use and look at.
wish i still had one

My main reason for getting a computer at home:

- I want something to stay at home when I'm out, to utilize my broadband
- Something to burn DVD's on (I don't have a superdrive on my iBook)
- Web surfing, etc... (When I can't be fucked getting the iBook out of it's case when I get home)
- To have a base computer.

Would that change things at all?

I'd really love to get a Mac Mini, but it'd end up cheaper to get the tower. I'm still not sure though.

Rayd
7th February 2005, 06:39 AM
well i infact do have the iBook 1ghz and a Dual 800mhz Powermac G4 :) and i must say that the Powermac is much speeder than the iBook Due to the 9800 Pro. i use it for Photo editing DVD authoring, Movie editing. it is quite good, the iBook can do it aswell but is just a bit slower... but you must put at least 768RAM or it will be sloooow ass. then again it is a Dual 800 compared to a 1ghz. But... if the price difference is HUGE then that might contribute to the choice aswell....

Rayd
7th February 2005, 06:41 AM
well if thats all you need then go ahead on the Dual 450... actually depends... how much really... if it ends up at 1 grand or more.. then you might aswell get a Mac Mini.... but then again expandability! get the Dual 450 and Pick up a Pioneer DVR-108 and then that will be it....

iSlayer
7th February 2005, 06:45 AM
of course a dual 800 will be closer to a 1ghz ibook.
a dual 450 will be much slower

Fompsweeva how much is the dual 450 going to cost.id expect around $700
you would be much better of getting single cpu 733 or getting a mac mini.
the dual 450's are not good value

hawker
7th February 2005, 06:49 AM
People lets not forget if the PowerMac has OS X loaded it will use both the CPU's. OS X is Dual hungry in most ways... But yes, the iBook G4 would give it a run for its money, but a Dual G4 depending on the price would not be a bad investment.

fompsweeva
7th February 2005, 06:49 AM
$450 - but that's without a keyboard, mouse, dvd writer, and only 256 megs of RAM.

hawker
7th February 2005, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Feb 7 2005, 06:49 AM
$450 - but that's without a keyboard, mouse, dvd writer, and only 256 megs of RAM.
Hmm, depending on hard drive and graphics card, I could probably get him down to $400 ;)

Which IMHO is not a bad investment at all!

hawker
7th February 2005, 06:57 AM
If you don't want it, I'll take it :D

fompsweeva
7th February 2005, 07:03 AM
It's stock ATA 16 meg video card and a 30 gig hard disc

Damian
7th February 2005, 07:04 AM
As someone who does have a 450DP and uses many different Macs at work a few comments:

o It is not a load of crap - a rock solid machine that handles many things

o I use an iMac G5 1.6 at work and for most things it feels no different

o I also use an 800mhz iBook and the 450DP feels snappier (screen resolution is also better)

o Don't underestimate two CPUs - OS X uses them all the time. I use Menumeters to display CPU load. The iBook often maxes out, as does the iMac G5, the 450DP rarely does. Load is spread. This shows up most with several things running.

o heavy hitting software like Photoshop does use both CPUs

o The 450DP has 1mb cache for each CPU - not to be underestimated as well.

o tower case is much more expandable

BTW, all machines mentioned have lots of RAM and latest OS X. 450DP has a pioneer DVD burner

So... depending on the price a 450DP can be very good value!

Damian

hawker
7th February 2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Damian@Feb 7 2005, 07:04 AM
So... depending on the price a 450DP can be very good value!
It was good to read an objective view from an owner Damian. Nice work.

I have used Dual 450's for video editing and they are great machines. B)