PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Sensors.

noyfb
30th August 2007, 02:34 AM
I have a dual G4 1.42 MDD and I wonder why iStat menu/pro/nano does not show the ambient temperature censer reading for the cpu's and for the Hard-drives.

Temperature monitor shoes both those readings.

A question and request.

Thank you

iSlayer
30th August 2007, 08:41 AM
I have a dual G4 1.42 MDD and I wonder why iStat menu/pro/nano does not show the ambient temperature censer reading for the cpu's and for the Hard-drives.

Temperature monitor shoes both those readings.

Hi,
We dont support all G4 systems mainly because we haven't been able to test them all. We are always trying to improve support though so we might be able to add support at some point.

As for the hard drives.... Not really sure about that one. Your drives must report the temperature differently to what we expect. What brand/model drives are you using ?

craggles
4th September 2007, 09:00 PM
Hi there,

I also have a PowerMac G4 MDD but the dual 1.25 model.

I too am getting the same problem. The iStat menus doesn't display my CPU temperature or my HD temperatures. However, some of your previous widgets from yourselves do display this information (on various versions).

I have installed in my dashboard a Temp Stat 2.0 from you guys (which works great for the CPU temperature).

Being the upgrade freak that I am, I instantly jump on any upgrades for my apps and system - including dashboard widgets so when there was a Temp Stat update, I installed it immediately.

Fortunately I still had the version 2.0 installer as any subsequent updates to Temp Stat would not display the temperature - so I'm sticking with version 2.0. :(

I was hoping that the iStat Pro widget would replace the stand alone Temp Stat widget but it won't display the CPU temperature either - but will display the Hard Disk temperatures for all 3 of my internal drives.

Since I've been very busy at work, I no-longer have the time to look at my comic strips that are accessed in the dashboard - so now the dashboard is only looked at when I want to use the calculator (which is rare) - having everything in the menu is an incredible bonus and I'll be able to see at a glance how hot my Mac is as well as system load without initialising any new processes (like the Dashboard) just to check the temps.

I will continue to support you guys and if you need any beta testers for the MDD G4, I'd be happy volunteer. Your utilities in their various versions do work on the temperatures - so it can be done. :)

So keep up the great work! :)

Kind regards,

Craig.

craggles
4th September 2007, 09:03 PM
Oh, I just remembered something...

The fan sensors have never worked in any of the iStat utilities I've tried (and I can definitely hear the fans) :P

and being the MDD model - temperature is an issue. :S

Thanks again.

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 09:25 PM
The iStat menus doesn't display my CPU temperature or my HD temperatures. However, some of your previous widgets from yourselves do display this information (on various versions).

Ill try and dig up an old version of TempStat and get support in iStat menus 1.2.

iSlayer
4th September 2007, 09:26 PM
The fan sensors have never worked in any of the iStat utilities I've tried (and I can definitely hear the fans) :P

Have you found any other apps that can read the fan speeds ?. Some simply cant be read unfortunately but if yours can ill do what i can to add support for them.

craggles
4th September 2007, 09:55 PM
Wow! That was a quick response!

Have you found any other apps that can read the fan speeds ?. Some simply cant be read unfortunately but if yours can ill do what i can to add support for them.

i don't think so actually which is a shame - cooling the damn machine is one hell of a chore.

I've had 2 graphics cards die in there because their fans stopped working (both the ATI 9800 128MB versions which needs extra power to run them and as the fans jammed/burned the cards died) and I hope my current version survives as it's even more expensive (again an ATI 9800 but the 256MB model - with a 3rd party fan on it this time).

I've enabled CUDD tools which allows for 'NAP' mode on the processors, I've added a PCI fan, the G4 sits on my desk (yes, it's loud) next to an open window for as much airflow as possible and I've been toying with the idea of changing out the internal fans/power supply to some more efficient, quieter versions as I've read on many on-line forums (even though my moding skills end with installing HDs, cards and RAM) :)

Sorry for the ramble :P

Ill try and dig up an old version of TempStat and get support in iStat menus 1.2.

Thanks - That'd be excellent!

I eagerly look forward to that. :)

Brains
4th September 2007, 11:01 PM
craggles: do your machine a favour, find a copy of the service source (tech manual) for it, and strip it right back. Remove the PSU and clean it out, remove the side-panel to get at the hidden vents which by now will be choked with dust. Clean the blades of the main fan to remove the sticky dust-tar to dramatically improve airflow.

You will be amazed at the difference, believe me :)

B.

craggles
4th September 2007, 11:55 PM
I might go for a bit on internal action to go deeper than I've gone before :)
(I've done a cursory clean up of the dust in there already - and there was a lot in the visible areas)

Thanks Brains.

PS - I'm having a lot of trouble finding the tech manual - I have found the setup manual (which is the same as the printed manual that came with my Mac which isn't a lot of help) :(

chrism238
5th September 2007, 06:06 AM
Wow! I posted an article to this thread a few days ago, and now it has disappeared from the discussion. Yes, it was tongue-in-cheek, but it was relevant, and certainly not offensive.

Has it just randomly disappeared, was it subject to an APEC takedown order, or nefariously censored?

SyncMan
5th September 2007, 06:23 AM
Wow! I posted an article to this thread a few days ago, and now it has disappeared from the discussion. Yes, it was tongue-in-cheek, but it was relevant, and certainly not offensive.

Has it just randomly disappeared, was it subject to an APEC takedown order, or nefariously censored?

DITTO! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey I can take my post being officially deleted, with an entry to say that, but this is a new low for MacTalk.

MacTalk is now officially worse than Whirlpool in moderation! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

iSlayer
5th September 2007, 08:15 AM
The 3rd party forums may be more heavily moderated like the trading forum. Nothing personal guys.

kim jong il
5th September 2007, 09:04 AM
I might go for a bit on internal action to go deeper than I've gone before :)
(I've done a cursory clean up of the dust in there already - and there was a lot in the visible areas)

Thanks Brains....

Everything Brains suggested I'd support. :)

NOTE: however, whatever you do, don't use a vacuum cleaner.

craggles
17th September 2007, 08:37 PM
Hey guys

I just installed the iStat Pro 4.2

I no longer have access to the temperature readouts for my 3rd party internal discs - it's only displaying the original Mac HD's temperature.

There's still no CPU temperature listed either. :(

I have PC friends who know how hot/how fast every single component in their case is - how come Apple makes it so difficult and obviously uses different interfaces/ways to get the info out for each and every model and version of Mac that they bring out? :(

I bet you guys must be annoyed!

(Mind you - all my pennies are being saved and hopefully by December time, I'll be owning a MacPro and will no-longer have the issues of temperature sensors not working on my 4 and a half year old Mac) :D

iSlayer
17th September 2007, 08:53 PM
I no longer have access to the temperature readouts for my 3rd party internal discs - it's only displaying the original Mac HD's temperature.

Thats no good. How old are these drives ?. The new version requires drives to report certain keys so we can identify each one. Its probable that some older drives may not report the keys and therefore no longer be supported.

craggles
17th September 2007, 09:22 PM
unfortunately, I deleted my previous iStat widget before noticing the lack of drive temperatures (and I actually initially mistook the single temperature listing to be the CPU temperature and I got quite excited - then deleted the previous version - then was half way through writing an amazing post to thank you and then I noticed that the drive temps weren't listed - and then I noticed the temp listed was the original HD and not the CPU temp - and then I cried a little)

...but the previous version (which must have been 4.1 as it hadn't continually pestered me to update it) did display all the drive temperatures - the original internal drive and the 2 extra.

ooooh - I just went to the contents of one of the drives and it woke up and I checked the widget and it's temperature is now listed! :)
My other drive still isn't though even after I woke it up.

All 3 drives were listed in the previous version though.

Incase you're interested...
These 2 drives (on the same BUS) have the temps displayed

ATA Bus:

ST3120024A:

Capacity: 111.79 GB
Model: ST3120024A
Revision: 3.31
Serial Number: 3KA10BJL
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk2
Protocol: ATA