PDA

View Full Version : Network: connects but can't do anything

glenmorrow
6th February 2005, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone

When I got my PowerBook home and plugged it into my home network (router plugged into ADSL modem via AirPort Express base station) everyone worked and still does work fine, it detected the internet connection, I can access my Windows machine, etc.

but...

When I take the machine to work and plug it into the work network (which is pretty much solely PCs) it connects but can't get internet or see file servers.

I can connect to work's VPN, and to the wireless network but it stops there.

Weird thing is when I had a PC laptop, this connected fine, didn't change any settings,just plugged it in and away I went, I would like it to work like this for my PowerBook.

Now there are a few things that I don't quite understand about the network at work and because everyone at work are all PC people, they can't answer my OS X networking questions.

I assume this has something to do with IP addresses or something, but as I said it connects to the wireless network and to the VPN, but stops there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

marxy
6th February 2005, 05:02 PM
I assume you're getting an IP address, router and DNS servers from a DHCP server both at home and at the office. (Your home router would do this).

It might be that you're sleeping your laptop and for some reason when you wake it at the office you don't get a new address.

When you go to the office, plug in the ethernet connection, pull down the Apple menu, choose Location, and from there choose "Network Preferences...".

Select "Built-in Ethernet" and click the Configure... button.

First up, check that the ethernet connection is actually active. If that's the case I would click the "Renew DHCP Lease" button and check that you get a new IP Address etc that looks like what you see on other computers in the office.

glenmorrow
6th February 2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Marxy, yes getting an automatically assigned IP address from home and work.

When you say sleeping the laptop, I always make sure I shut it done by going to the Apple menu, choosing Shut down and closing it down that way. But I will try as you have suggested and see if this solves the problem.

Glen

dopus
7th February 2005, 02:33 PM
Hiya.

If your on a 'server based network' (i.e there is Windows 2000 or 2003 server in the place), you probably have a proxy server.

YOu will need to find out what it is called and add it to your ethernet nic area.

I used a packaged called Authoxy (OZ program too I believe) to do this and it worked fine. The problem you may have when you get home is that internet access won't work cause the proxy isn't there.

Check versionchecker.com for authoxy and good luck.