PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake question...

graemie
29th August 2007, 05:26 PM
I need to add a title and credits to a client's already-produced DVD, plus edit a couple of bits out of it...

What's the best format to output the movie using Handbrake so that I can open it in iMovie 08 and do the above? Sorry, I've never used Handbrake before, or imported anything into iMovie other than video straight from the camera.

g.

grorr76
29th August 2007, 05:36 PM
i wouldnt use handbreak. id use an app called dvdxdv which can convert your dvd straight from the dvd into dv footage which imovie will gratefully accept.

graemie
29th August 2007, 05:44 PM
So Handbrake loses quality?

graemie
29th August 2007, 05:51 PM
Hey grorr76, I've just downloaded the trial of DVDxDV Pro and I can't figure out how to do what you've said it does above... When I go to Extract > New Movie, it only gives me Quicktime .mov formats?

g.

sweet1sacrifice
1st September 2007, 01:21 PM
handbrake is intended to be used for ripping DVDs into lower quality for watching, not editing. It's great to use for converting ur favorite movies and shows for ur ipod but i wouldn't recomend it for putting something back onto DVD.

grorr76
1st September 2007, 01:35 PM
Hey grorr76, I've just downloaded the trial of DVDxDV Pro and I can't figure out how to do what you've said it does above... When I go to Extract > New Movie, it only gives me Quicktime .mov formats?

g.

.mov files will work no probs within imovie thats exactly what you need, and yes ripping in handbreak to a format then reencoding again will definitly loose quality.

astr0b0y
1st September 2007, 01:42 PM
Use MPEGStreamclip from http://www.squared5.com/ (free). Convert the Video_TS folder into MPEG2.

titan44
1st September 2007, 01:43 PM
or use ffmepgx and go staight to DV

grorr76
1st September 2007, 02:02 PM
what is perfect is dv quicktime and thats exactly what dvdxdv does straight from the disc , less hastle than ripping then encoding do it all in one step.