PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a PowerBook

Koman
6th February 2005, 02:06 PM
Hi all, I've decided that I'm going to get myself a 15-inch Powerbook, (combodrive) for Uni this year. First off, I have a few questions:

1. My course is 5 years long. Would the current g4 Powerbook be able to last for 5 years, in terms of Uni work (typing up assignments, researching, taking notes, etc.) ? This is kind of a stupid question, but what I mean to say is in 5 years time, could I hold out and not upgrade until I finish my degree?

2. I plan to have a Wireless Internet connection at home with Airport. The Airport base station will be downstairs in the study, and I want to know whether my Powerbook will be able to receive a signal upstairs from my room, which is on the other side of the house. My house isn't big, but my room and the study are a floor apart and on other sides of the house.

3. I know nothing about networks and the like. How easy/hard is it going to be to set up Internet sharing at home? I'll be using the Speedtouch 530 Modem, which supports simultaneous Ethernet and USB connection. Can I then have a USB connection to the PC in the study, and then an Ethernet cable from the modem to the AP base station? Would this be hard to set up, as there is a PC and a Mac connected to the one modem?

4. Does anyone know by any chance whether Universities give you free OS upgrades? When Tiger comes out will I be able to get it for free (I'm a cheap and poor student now lol) ? If not, how much will the Tiger Upgrade thing be, with the Edu discount?

Thanks all in advance.

hawker
6th February 2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Koman,

1) Yes it will. The powerbook has a long life on it. I know wrtiers and uni students still using their 400 and 500mhz Powerbooks to this day, and they would not give it up for the world.

2) Yes, as long as the network is "G" you will get a good singal, sure it will drop down a couple of bars, but its still just as good. For the record my base station is up stairs and half the time I am down stairs with my powerbook :)

3) It could possibly work, but IMHO, don't do this, buy a switch and run all of them off Ethernet. The amount of problems we've had with USB at work is amazing :)

4) There is no free upgrade program, however if you jump in early, you can usually secure a copy really cheap. I got OS X.1 for like $100 after I bought my iMac G4 800.

DJY
7th February 2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Koman@Feb 6 2005, 02:06 PM
2. I plan to have a Wireless Internet connection at home with Airport. The Airport base station will be downstairs in the study, and I want to know whether my Powerbook will be able to receive a signal upstairs from my room, which is on the other side of the house. My house isn't big, but my room and the study are a floor apart and on other sides of the house.

4. Does anyone know by any chance whether Universities give you free OS upgrades? When Tiger comes out will I be able to get it for free (I'm a cheap and poor student now lol) ? If not, how much will the Tiger Upgrade thing be, with the Edu discount?

Thanks all in advance.
Hopefully!
The PB's WiFi range has been reported in numerous forums and thread as not being the best.
Has something to do with the case I believe.
Be careful
I have a 17PB which I love - and would not give up - but I am only in a two bedroom apartment - and sitting in the same room as my Airport Express I often only have two bars of signal strength!
Occasionally even only one bar!

I've tried to use my PB in my bedroom which is approximately only 15m away - but can't! No signal strength! I'm thinking I might have to upgrade my modem / router to a WiFi one in order to get signal strength in my bedroom.

Uni's don't have free upgrades... but as Apple release free updates and patches - often Uni's will have those on their servers to save you having to download them off the net.

hawker
7th February 2005, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by DJY@Feb 7 2005, 06:18 AM
I have a 17PB which I love - and would not give up - but I am only in a two bedroom apartment - and sitting in the same room as my Airport Express I often only have two bars of signal strength!
Occasionally even only one bar!
Do you have a "G" wireless router? if not, that's why you are getting bad signal. I'd say upgrade man, you will be happy for it. I can sit at the end of my driveway with my 12" and get two bars!

macmate
7th February 2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 7 2005, 06:54 AM
Do you have a "G" wireless router? if not, that's why you are getting bad signal. I'd say upgrade man, you will be happy for it. I can sit at the end of my driveway with my 12" and get two bars!
also if you have a cordless phone then look at that. even if you did have a 'b' base station the signal should be a lot better than that.

hawker
7th February 2005, 08:34 AM
Good point macmate :)

I shoulda thought of that too, especailly cosidering we had that problem at work recently... LOL

pipsqeek
7th February 2005, 08:55 AM
One thing I'd look at with those with really bad reception... I also had this issue with my current iBook. And when I took the keyboard off to have a look see. I found that the antenna plug was not fitted properly into the airport Exteme card. Giving it a good push, it clicked in and my signal went up to 100% instantly.

Cordless phones cause alot of issues, also Microwaves as well. My cordless sits right next to my Wifi router and I get no issues whether the phone is in use or not. So I think its just random.

But at the same time, I've heard that Powerbooks are just plain bad when it comes to reception cause of their metal casing.

pipsqeek

king89
7th February 2005, 10:00 AM
At home I use WiFi with my powerbook with no problems anywhere around my house. The powerbooks have their antennas on the the edges of the the lcd and shouldn't really be effected by the casing.

Ozi
7th February 2005, 10:19 AM
My wireless is fine in our house... router upstairs, me downstairs in my room or outside with the chooks. It can be a little slow at times, but still no big problem. As king89 says, the antennae are around the screen, and there are two places near the top of the screen where there is a patch og grey plastic instead of Aluminium, to allow better reception. :)

And i use my pBook all the time at Uni, no problems. I definantly recommend them, and it will still work great in 5 years. :D

sfcoy
7th February 2005, 10:24 AM
I think that I recall the first generation Aluminium Powerbooks having notoriously bad wireless/airport reception.

This problem was addressed in subsequent generations.

My 15" Powerbook is a second generation model and it works fine in a wireless network both here in the office and around my house.

Steve C.

macmate
7th February 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 7 2005, 08:55 AM
One thing I'd look at with those with really bad reception... I also had this issue with my current iBook. And when I took the keyboard off to have a look see. I found that the antenna plug was not fitted properly into the airport Exteme card. Giving it a good push, it clicked in and my signal went up to 100% instantly.

Cordless phones cause alot of issues, also Microwaves as well. My cordless sits right next to my Wifi router and I get no issues whether the phone is in use or not. So I think its just random.

But at the same time, I've heard that Powerbooks are just plain bad when it comes to reception cause of their metal casing.

pipsqeek
true is some cases. the Ti books were bad. the Al books were a lot better and the latest ones are great as they have dual antennas like the IBM thinkpads.

someonestolecc
7th February 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Koman@Feb 6 2005, 02:06 PM
Hi all, I've decided that I'm going to get myself a 15-inch Powerbook, (combodrive) for Uni this year. First off, I have a few questions:

1. My course is 5 years long. Would the current g4 Powerbook be able to last for 5 years, in terms of Uni work (typing up assignments, researching, taking notes, etc.) ? This is kind of a stupid question, but what I mean to say is in 5 years time, could I hold out and not upgrade until I finish my degree?

3. I know nothing about networks and the like. How easy/hard is it going to be to set up Internet sharing at home? I'll be using the Speedtouch 530 Modem, which supports simultaneous Ethernet and USB connection. Can I then have a USB connection to the PC in the study, and then an Ethernet cable from the modem to the AP base station? Would this be hard to set up, as there is a PC and a Mac connected to the one modem?

Thanks all in advance.
1- most computers will last you 5 years if all you're doing is word processing. it's just a matter of worst-come-to-worst you don't upgrade and keep using the stuff that comes out today so that your computer remains the same speed.

2- A lot of people here seem to have probs with reception. I use mine through the house (it sits underneath the house in my "server room") and I can get reception to out my driveway and a little bit down the road. I'd be able to get the whole street but my house is sunken below street level.
If I take a short drive I can pickup about 50-100 access points throughout my neighbourhood from the street with a normal card without an external antenna so I don't see why you'd have reception problems. I use 802.11g dlink gear.

3- Sharing tends to be pretty easy, it's just a matter of how hardcore do you want to go. I would suggest to you to pickup a $50 4 port hub, connect all your pcs to that then in your main pc install 2 network cards. Put the cable/adsl into one, then plug the hub into the other. Then plug your wireless into the hub.
Alternatively you can purchase an off the shelf router/hub thingy where you just plug the cable/adsl into and then plug everything else into it... OR you can purchase an off the shelf thingy that IS a wireless access point and you plug in your other pcs and cable/adsl into that..
I'd recommend the last bit of gear if you don't know much about it.
On the other end of the spectrum I have a cable modem into a firewall box, router with a few pcs and a wireless plugged in. Next upgrade will be a firewall between my wireless and everything else and possibly a tunnel - keep those wardrivers out :)

One thing about sharing whatever computer you have online all the time you should patch and close all ports and such you won't be needing, and be aware when using wireless even though most of the 802.11 authentication standards can be exploited you're better off turning them on in the hopes any malicious wireless users pick an easier (and unsecured) target.

4- I don't think they do :)

DJY
7th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 7 2005, 06:54 AM
Do you have a "G" wireless router? if not, that's why you are getting bad signal.
I am using an Airport Express for my WiFi as well as iTunes through my home theatre system and printing.

Airport Express uses G doesn't it?
My modem / router is only the barebones that my ISP made me get when I signed on with them... and one of the few they supported. (Don't hit me... its a Netcomm 1300+4). I thought the Aipport Express was able to be used for wireless connections (up to 50 users).

I have read of people who noticed loose connection with the antennae or the airport extreme card not being fitted correctly -but as I only got my 3G 17" 1.5GHz PB mid last year - I don't know to open it up - or where to look - or if that will void my warranty.

In order to get better reception though I am tempted to upgrade my modem / router... but that's why I bought the Airport Express... wireless music and printing but the real benefit was wireless with my PB!

even sitting here on the couch... less than 5m from my Airport Express (and I can even see it) I only average two bars... is currently on two bars... often drops to one - and occasionally up the three... and thats in the same room?!

Koman
7th February 2005, 06:14 PM
Hey, thanks everyone, your replies have been great.

I still am slightly apprehensive about sharing our net connection - I realise the problems with USB and PC's but to be honest, the PC will be mainly used by my Mum, who is only on net only for eBay, general browsing, and the occasional email. So in that case, drop-outs aren't too much of a problem right? (The PC does not have a Ethernet port).

All I need is to share the internet connection. I don't need to share files or whatever.

Currawong
7th February 2005, 06:51 PM
PCI ethernet cards cost < &#036;20. Seriously, for sanity purposes, I recommend it.

964RSCS
7th February 2005, 10:32 PM
Looks like your questions have been pretty much all answered, but for what it&#39;s worth I&#39;ll add my two cents...

I have a 15-inch G4 PowerBook with Superdrive. Use it with Airport Express and get consistent 2/3 bars on the signal strength indicator from anywhere in the house. I mainly work upstairs and the A&#39;Express is downstairs... Quite big house, i&#39;d be 20m away from airport now, and upstairs - 3 bar signal strength. A few closed doors in between as well ( don&#39;t think this really matters, but for what it&#39;s worth...) In the Airport instructions it mentions a few things to consider for mounting it, such as try and have it an open space if poss, try and keep away from other electrical devices as much as possible etc etc... So in my experience, with an ideal setup there is no reason why it shouldn&#39;t give good reception throughout a "standard" 5 bedroom house. I also use an Netcomm NB1300 + 4, and it seems to work very well for me - no problems so far&#33;

As someone else mentioned, the G4 PowerBook has the antenna around the outside of the screen, so no worries about an antenna perhaps not being connected properley.

I&#39;ve been really pleased with the Airport - very easy to get setup, and am running it to two macs. It can run to pc and mac simultaniously of course.

Cheers

Gerard

kit
8th February 2005, 06:50 AM
USB Broadband routers are usually OK on Windows XP (if it doesn&#39;t work, change USB ports - that works regularly on PCs).

USB to Ethernet adapters are exactly the same.

But Ethernet is always best if you have the space to use, or an onboard NIC.

tommelbourne
8th February 2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but i too am a relatively poor uni student with some apprehensions about getting a new 12" Powerbook. I was recently playing around with a friend&#39;s new Powerbook, and it seemed to my untrained eye that the case isn&#39;t exactly made of metal, or if it was, it still felt like plastic. Seriously, it felt like if i touched it too much it might break. Now i am worried - is the case Aluminium or coloured plastic, and what are the chances of me breaking it in a bump or small drop (compared to an iBook anyways)?

Cheers,

tommelbourne

suryo
8th February 2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Feb 8 2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but i too am a relatively poor uni student with some apprehensions about getting a new 12" Powerbook. I was recently playing around with a friend&#39;s new Powerbook, and it seemed to my untrained eye that the case isn&#39;t exactly made of metal, or if it was, it still felt like plastic. Seriously, it felt like if i touched it too much it might break. Now i am worried - is the case Aluminium or coloured plastic, and what are the chances of me breaking it in a bump or small drop (compared to an iBook anyways)?

Cheers,

tommelbourne
It&#39;s aluminium
The 12" is more robust than an ibook, but if you think it&#39;s likely you&#39;ll drop it get insurance.
It&#39;s better
It&#39;s excellent value after the new revision/price drop
Get one&#33; :D

spargo
8th February 2005, 08:18 AM
My 6 month old, 15" PowerBook; combined with OSX and the day-to-day software I use like Office:Mac, iLife 04, and all the music software available on the Mac; is the best laptop or computer I have ever used.

And with the recent revisions, I think that both Koman and tommelbourne should definitely go out get a new 15" and 12" PowerBook respectively straight away..

That&#39;s my input.. Get one&#33; :D

It was valid opinions based on personal experience that helped me make the decision to switch 6 months ago - and it was a thread just like this on this site that did it..

tommelbourne
8th February 2005, 08:40 AM
Thank you both very much for your advice, the case issue was the only thing worrying me about the Powerbook (except for the fact that, unless i get my RAM upgrade from Apple, i will be essentially throwing away a 256gb SO-DIMM, but that is another story&#33;). It settles your mind to hear such positive and useful comments from others&#33;

Oh, wait, one more thing, being a Uni Student, i should qualify for the Apple Education Discount, meaning that the 12 - incher that i am gunna get will cost, for the base model, &#036;2110, normally &#036;2399. But, i am not yet 18, and technically i have to be 18 to be eligible for the discount. Stupid rule, i know, but that&#39;s the way it goes. Does anyone know wether any apple certified resellers would be willing to overlook this? Or does it not really matter anyway?

Thanks again,

tommelbourne

Ozi
8th February 2005, 09:55 AM
tommelbourne, I doubt any reseller will ask you for proof of age too... if you can prove that you go to Uni, then that is all that matters. I would think that showing you&#39;re a Uni student would mean that they&#39;d assume you were 18+ so I wouldnt worry about it. :)

tommelbourne
8th February 2005, 10:31 AM
Okay, if you are right i will be VERY happy, i would hate to have to wait until April to get my &#39;book. Will try to purchase either tomorrow or on weekend, and will let you know how i went&#33;

Koman
8th February 2005, 10:16 PM
Tommelbourne, what course you doing and where at? Anyhow, just show your Student ID card (I got mine on Enrolment Day, I&#39;m assuming others did too), that&#39;s fine.

Okay, now I have another question. Lol. I was at the Apple Centre today, playing around with a 15-inch Powerbook. And I clicked on the iMovie icon in the dock, just to see what happened. It, well, jumped, (it was very cool lol, I&#39;m a sucker for those types of things), but then nothing happened for about 20 seconds. Finally, the iMovie window came up. Does it take that long to load apps on OSX? Is that why people suggest getting lots of RAM and just having all your apps constantly open, to save on load time?

It&#39;s not that much of an issue, I was just curious.

Oh, and thanks for your replies again everyone. Its a very helpful community you got here. :)

DJY
8th February 2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Koman@Feb 8 2005, 10:16 PM
I clicked on the iMovie icon in the dock, just to see what happened. It, well, jumped, (it was very cool lol, I&#39;m a sucker for those types of things), but then nothing happened for about 20 seconds. Finally, the iMovie window came up. Does it take that long to load apps on OSX?
iMovieHD (I have iLife 05 installed) takes less than two seconds here on my 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook.
I have noticed Apple apps open very quickly&#33; Took me a while to get used to not using Quit - but just minimalise... but the only app I have noticed that takes a while to load is the full Photoshop.

Ozi
8th February 2005, 10:41 PM
iMovie takes about 1 second to launch on my powerbook... faster HD helps, but you could chose that option too. :) Apps as a rule are very quick to launch. Word 2004: under a second, Firefox under a second... its all very speedy. And yes RAM will help OSX overall, but I tend to only ever have 5-10 apps running at once (I have 370MB RAM free at the moment) as it is so speedy to launch any applications.

It beats the pants off my friends PC which takes ages to startup, and then even longer to run an App... he has a 2.6Ghz AMD chip too, with 512MB RAM. LOL

spargo
8th February 2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Feb 7 2005, 10:40 PM
Thank you both very much for your advice, the case issue was the only thing worrying me about the Powerbook (except for the fact that, unless i get my RAM upgrade from Apple, i will be essentially throwing away a 256gb SO-DIMM, but that is another story&#33;). It settles your mind to hear such positive and useful comments from others&#33;
I know its another story, but worthy of a reply anyway..

To avoid the issue of having to waste a 256mb stick in my PB, I got mine custom-built so it would come to me with only one stick of 512 taking up one slot, therefore leaving one spare for a 1GB stick i&#39;m getting when visit Australia for a few weeks shortly..

It&#39;ll then have 1.5gb total, which should do me for a few years until i&#39;ll drop in another 1gb stick and then just sel the 512mb..

Have a think about it, but why get the RAM in two sticks when for a little more you can eliminate waste

Koman
8th February 2005, 10:57 PM
lol Ozi. :)

So are the display models therefore not good to go by? Because the track-pad was kinda screw-y as well.

Ozi
8th February 2005, 11:04 PM
Spargo is right... I did the same thing with mine... BTO the powerbook with a single 1GB stick, so there is a slot free for later to but an extra 1GB if needed to the max of 2GB total.

And Koman, yeah they can be a bit dodge. If it took 20 secs to load iMovie, theres something very wrong with it. Powerbooks are in the "pro" line of Apple computers, and subsequently go like bats out of hell. I dunno about the trackpad... mine seems fine (and heaps better than those little button joystick thingies built into lots of PC keyboards... *shudders*) but im not sure... I use a BT mouse most of the time anyways. :)

Koman
8th February 2005, 11:13 PM
Cool beans.

I think thats it then - I&#39;ve finally decided. Now, the anxious wait - I&#39;m not going to be getting it until 2 weeks at least. You know how parents are... :blink:

spargo
8th February 2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Feb 8 2005, 01:04 PM
Spargo is right... I did the same thing with mine... BTO the powerbook with a single 1GB stick, so there is a slot free for later to but an extra 1GB if needed to the max of 2GB total.
The way Ozi did it is best - I just couldn&#39;t afford that little bit extra to get a 1GB rather than the 512mb.

If I had my time again i&#39;d do it that way instead of going to one 512mb - but at the time I was a bit strapped for cash as I finished renovating my house, brought the PB, 40gb iPod & Airport Express, moved to London, put my whole life in self-storage.. i s&#39;pose i&#39;ve made my point..

Get the 1GB BTO straight up - it will pay for itself later on..

tommelbourne
9th February 2005, 08:37 AM
Spargo & Ozi: Thanks guys, that was what i was hoping to do (have it BTO with a single 1gb chip on the motherboard, leaving the SO-DIMM slot free), but alas, it seems (according to the Apple site and store) that on the 12" models the 256mb slodered to the motherboard CANNOT be changed, and that in order to make up the 512mb RAM that comes standard, Apple puts in a 256mb SO-DIMM in the expansion slot. This means that, aside from removing the 256mb SO-DIMM later and putting in a cheaper 1gig piece myself (and thus wasting a 256mb module&#33;), my only options are to upgrade from Apple when ordering to get either a 512mb SO-DIMM preinstalled in the expansion slot (costing a mere &#036;97 for me) or have them put in a whopping 1gig chip in the expansion slot, thus maxing out my machine with 1.25gig RAM, but also costing a hefty &#036;611, presumably for the single chip, which i cannot afford.

O why, o why, can i not get 512 soldered on (which Apple will not do for the 12"), and then later on buy a cheaper (i.e non Apple) 512 expansion SO-DIMM for the expansion slot? It would be so much easier, and cheaper&#33; Damn screwy Apple&#33;

And Koman: I live in Sydney (Melbourne is my Surname), and have just enrolled at Macquarie to do a B Ancient History. Yeah, got my Student ID. And yes, i sympathise with you, parents are such a pain&#33;

fairy1
9th February 2005, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I myself am also considering purchasing the PB G4. And am waiting for a couple of more weeks. Till i do purchase.

However i wanted to know ... because i am a bit confused :) with 512 ram.. Isnt that good enough to run heaps and heaps of applications at once without freezing...

ANd what exactly does a hard drive and ram have in difference??

like 80gigabyte harddrive what does that do?? I&#39;m thinking of quoting for a 100gigabyte lol..

Ideally i will be using my powerbook both for personal and professional use.

and oh yehhh.. what about instead of opting for more ram... :unsure: ummm you know those usb memory sticks they come in 512, 256, and 1gig are they anyhelp?? likeeeeee im sooo :unsure:

fanks

Ozi
9th February 2005, 10:19 AM
Ok some good questions here.

512MB RAM will run multiple applications well, but you wil notice things running slower if you are using RAM intensive applications such as Photoshop, Garageband or any number of other pro-apps.

Hard-drive is where files are stored. If you save a picture onto your computer, it goes on the Hard-drive. Long term memory, if you like.

RAM is memory which applications use whilst they are running, and when you quit that application, the memory which was being used by the program is freed up for some other program to use. It is short term memory.

As for the memory sticks, they aren&#39;t on the motherboard of your computer, and for this reason are not used as RAM for applications you are running. They are just handy little storage devices which you can use. So no, you cant just plug a 1GB memory stick into a USB drive and use that as RAM to run applications, sorry. :)

fairy1
9th February 2005, 11:02 AM
hahahhaa thankss,, so i guess i should quote 1 gig ram. and leave the hard drive as 80 gig

The main reason im swtiching over to mac is because im sick of windows, freezing all the time and running slow as ever and the annoying viruses. bla bla plus mac is unique i believe :D

its a good thing im still a uni student part time, so hopefully i qualify for the 10% discount.

by the way some general questions as well. hope im not hogging the post lol.. just think of it as an addition :P

DO you powerbook G4 users experience freezing apps frequently? How good is the mail application which comes wpre-installed? And Do you all use an anti-virus software?

Ozi
9th February 2005, 11:08 AM
I don&#39;t use anti-virus software, but I can&#39;t speak for all us pBook G4 users. There really isn&#39;t much need... i install any apple security updates when they come out, and am behind a firewall. Apple really rocks with the "no virus" thing.

The inbuilt mail app is good... a lot of my friends use it, but I prefer gmail myself. Its a personal thing though: an advantage of Mail is that it works seamlessly with Addressbook and iCal as a native OS X app.

I hardly ever have freezing apps... maybe once every 2, 3 weeks. Its not common at all, and if it does occur, you can press :cmd: - option - esc to force quit the program, but leave everything else running fine. I have only twice had OSX actually freeze and need to be force-restarted. (both times with kernel panic).

The Unix base of OSX really is rock solid. I love it... it kicks the sheisse outta windows.

fairy1
9th February 2005, 11:53 AM
cool thanks for the feedback

adsis1
9th February 2005, 05:37 PM
Hey Fairy1 whats your budget??

im a student and ive jus put a 17" powerbook on order with an added 1GB RAM chip so thats 1.5gB in RAM all up since the newer powerbooks come with a single 512MB RAM standard&#33;&#33;

spargo
9th February 2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by fairy1@Feb 9 2005, 12:13 AM
However i wanted to know ... because i am a bit confused :) with 512 ram.. Isnt that good enough to run heaps and heaps of applications at once without freezing...
Hi fairy1,

Read my post above in this thread - I went with only 512mb cause at the time I couldn&#39;t afford to go to 1GB..

My reasons for wishing I went with 1GB from the start are not related to performance so don&#39;t be concered by only getting 512mb

However because I was doing a BTO anyhow, I requested that they put one stick of 512mb in it, instead of two seperate 256&#39;s... therefore leaving room for me to put a 1GB in the now spare slot when I had the cash.. So i&#39;d recommend doing this so you have the spare slot for later on. Now that I have the cash I am putting that extra stick in..

And no Anti-Virus software for me, nor Spyware, or any of that Norton crap that slows down your system when it&#39;s meant to be speeding it up..

For a home/business user I think I give my PB a flogging&#33;&#33; I often have almost everything in my Dock open at the same time, and it hums along sweetly&#33; I am now mucking around with live music mixing and it just eats it for breakfast, along with massive photo and music collections&#33; The system is so stable and reliable - i&#39;m the same as Ozi, I have rarely had to Force Quit an app, and have only had one system freeze in 6 months (it was the Kernal thingy too..)

I mean just this morning at work my PIII running Win 2000 Pro, and its frozen twice and MapInfo keeps hanging.. Its only 10:45am&#33;&#33;

Make the Switch, you won&#39;t regret it&#33;&#33;

Oh, and did I mention it pulls chicks when you use it in public.. thats the main reason Ozi brought his, and also because he couldn&#39;t lift those dumbells under his desk... see his setup post by clicking here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=219&view=findpost&p=36157):

http://img220.exs.cx/img220/4233/desktop28qw.jpg

Ozi
9th February 2005, 09:30 PM
chick: "You sure have a nice computer settup, hon&#33;"

me: "Why thankyou..."

chick: "But you can&#39;t lift those weights, can you? -_-"

me: "No sorry... :( does this mean you don&#39;t love me anymore?"

chick: "Well I heard one of the guys in this thread mention you had a 15"&#33;"

me: "Why yes, yes I do&#33; :D"

chick: " :o :mellow: ;) :) :D"

The rest, my friends, was history.

And that is why Apple Powerbooks are always, always the perfect choice for the young male on the prowl.

Anyways, I think disko is on his way with a blunt spoon to kill me for derailing an otherwise sensible topic so.... "Look&#33; an Eagle&#33;" *points* *flees*

Snowy28
9th February 2005, 10:15 PM
On the bloody floor&#33;

You&#39;re a genius Ozi&#33;

Now wheres that eagle? Am I looking a little too south?

Koman
10th February 2005, 10:14 PM
Haha. Funny.

Interesting to see a lot of new Powerbook users who are students.

Okay, time to revive the thread again: Do you think its better to get the Airport Express or Airport Extreme base-station in my situation? Because I figured with the Airport Extreme, you can move it around more, ie it is not stuck to the power outlet. But then again all of you said that the wireless issues should be minimal, right?

Thanks in advance.

yinyang
10th February 2005, 11:06 PM
other than the difference in price, the APExpress will only support 10 users compared to the 50 of the Extreme base station, and you can&#39;t use AirTunes with the Extreme base station. Also you can get an Extreme base station with a built-in modem.

Range, security and most other features are the same for both.

For me, my house isn&#39;t that big, walls are wooden, so reception all around is pretty decent given that the APExpress is in one corner of the house.

If you want to pump music out around the house loud, whilst you&#39;re at the other end, AirTunes kicks :)

decryption
10th February 2005, 11:15 PM
When I owned that desk Ozi, it never had anything that expensive on it :P
Good to see it&#39;s getting some good use.

spargo
11th February 2005, 12:18 AM
Hi again Koman,

I got the Airport Express at the same time as the PoweBook last year, and the music streaming feature is nothing short of brilliant&#33;

While people say you&#39;re better of buying a 10m RCA cable for &#036;20, you&#39;ll find they&#39;ll be the ones who have never had one of these amazing little boxes&#33;

Be it parties when you want to keep your laptop hidden away from hordes of sticky fingers and spilt drinks, or just playing tunes from where-ever you find yourself in a house, nothing beats its practicality and simplicity.. a few clicks and you&#39;re setup and streaming away.. Add any decent stereo or amp/speaker setup and it rocks&#33;&#33;

I now have PC friends with Dell&#39;s etc who are buying it to do the same, but I know that they quietly respect that fact that it was a mac user that convinced them that should buy a mac peripheral..

I haven&#39;t even started on the wireless networking capabilities - i&#39;ll leave that for others as I&#39;m only just about to get ADSL over here and use it to its full potential..

Go get one, definitely worth the few hundey bucks..

JohnDProctor
13th February 2005, 06:53 AM
Just a note from a person that had 2 powerbooks and a Pismo.

1. I had a PB G4 Ti 887 and currently have a PB G4 FW 800. I have problems with the current PB latch (endemic with PBs so watch it).

2. Whatever you do get Applecare on the PB. Desk systems maybe not but given that you want it to last 5 years and it will be lugged around a lot Applecare is almost mandatory. After the warranty runs out things can get very expensive really quickly. For example on the Ti PB I had after the warranty ran out the ethernet port went dead. A new logic board was required and these are extremely expensive so be forwarned. Anyone who buys a PB without Applecare is really asking for it. IMHO