PDA

View Full Version : External HDD

pipsqeek
23rd March 2004, 10:07 PM
does anyone know what brand HDD comes in the firewire Epowermac external drives?

http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?P_ID=132

I am thinking about getting one and just wanted to know what brand.

Steve

pipsqeek
24th March 2004, 11:33 AM
Doesn't matter.

No one got back to me in time, including the shop themselves unfortunately.

Fortunately I went to LCS (Local Computer Shop) where I know prices are poverty cheap.

I scored my Billion Modem there for $95 which includes 4 port switch, firewall, IP forwarding etc.....

I got a 120GB (8MB Cache) Western Digital for $120 and a metal case that looks like a mini G5 > below. for another $125.

All up, $245 for 8MB cache version.

Not bad I think, no shipping and its just down the road.

Steve

Disko
24th March 2004, 11:46 AM
What brand case is that?

pipsqeek
24th March 2004, 12:44 PM
It just says "Metal Gear Box" and under it in smaller writing it says "Substance".

There's no model number, no company, etc..

The other thing I like besides th mesh sides (not only for looks but ventilation) is the control chip int he case is in a socket. So, if it dies, which my old one as well as my friends old Maxtor did. both of them, the chips died, out of warranty. This one can be replaced. All over components on the circuit board are surface mounted resistors and capacitors which are easy to find. Its that chip that concerns me.

Steve

frank_t
24th March 2004, 04:11 PM
Why do empty HD FW case&#39;s (box) cost so much? &#036;60 would be fair for a emtpy FW box... <_<

pipsqeek
24th March 2004, 07:21 PM
I think your paying for the chip that controls the HDD, basically a IDE to FireWire adaptor. I think its more than just crossing wires till its right.

Regardless. They are overpriced...hence my search for a cheaper alternative.

Steve

estoyloco
24th May 2004, 05:23 PM
you can get that case on ebay.. for around &#036;50 buts its USB2.0 only.. you could look a little harder for a firewire one.. im sure they are around&#33;

pipsqeek
24th May 2004, 10:25 PM
ebay? pft....why don&#39;t you just give them your account details. and wait for that empty box with your name on it.

I have lost some (little money) on ebay...learnt my lesson the first time.

I would rather pay the extra, get the box today, have a reciept today, have a warranty from an actual shop, and like you said, firewire. USB is useless to me.

Steve

estoyloco
25th May 2004, 10:39 AM
ebay? pft....why don&#39;t you just give them your account details. and wait for that empty box with your name on it.

true, in some cases... obviously you would think about what your buying and see how credible the buyer is.

Ebays not all that bad.. just buy from someone in your local area and go and pick it up in person..

there is a company that sells cases that i would recommend in melbourne

brightsparks.com.au i think and he is also an ebay seller... he sells external cases, and knows alot about Macs as he uses his cases with them... i got a case from there and it was excellent.

Currawong
26th May 2004, 02:30 PM
Where&#39;s your local shop? I wouldn&#39;t mind checking it out....

fompsweeva
28th May 2004, 12:13 PM
I&#39;ve heard of a lot of problems with external hard disk drives. Does anyone have any bad experiences with them?

The problems I&#39;ve heard is that they aren&#39;t powered up properly, because they&#39;re plugged in and out of firewire/usb sockets all the time, which causes damage.

Disko
28th May 2004, 12:44 PM
well, on a mac - you are given a popup every time you unplug your FW HD using the incorrect method. You&#39;re supposed to unmount the volume before switching it off or unplugging it, which is the same as "shutting down" in windows.

I do this with mine, and i&#39;ve had no problems whatsoever.

edit: hey, i noticed that&#39;s your first post. Welcome to AppleTalk Australia. I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

hawker
28th May 2004, 01:20 PM
I&#39;ve had three types of firewire hard cases, had minor problems with two of them. The first one use to play up when I left it on over night... Which is fair enough. It was one of the very first Firewire HardDrive cases from Sarotech?, came with a 60GB HD, cost me about &#036;600.

It died on me at the end of uni last year - it went through a fair bit of use and travel... From Darwin to Wagga every half a year or so...

The second is one I used at work to bring files home (I didn&#39;t pay for it, don&#39;t know the brand) had no problems with it. It sported an 80GB and then a 120GB.

My latest one I set up myself. It is some sorf of Oxford brand Firewire/USB 2 set up. It has a 200GB, and cost me just over &#036;300 (mind you I got it all at cost, cos I work in the industry). I had one problem with it, it corupted some data (thankfully nothing too important) Turned out that under Panther, the case had some issues with hard drives over 120GB, a quick update fixed it...

If you are cosidering a Firewire HardDrive set up. Go for it, just take care of it ;)

I punish all my hard drives, use them for video editing - so I&#39;d say I&#39;ve put the cases and hard drives through some hefty work over the last few years&#33;

fompsweeva
28th May 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Disko@May 28 2004, 12:44 PM
well, on a mac - you are given a popup every time you unplug your FW HD using the incorrect method. You&#39;re supposed to unmount the volume before switching it off or unplugging it, which is the same as "shutting down" in windows.

I do this with mine, and i&#39;ve had no problems whatsoever.

edit: hey, i noticed that&#39;s your first post. Welcome to AppleTalk Australia. I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)
Thanks&#33;

It&#39;s my first post because I&#39;m about to move in to the Apple world. I Can&#39;t wait. :)

Disko
28th May 2004, 02:25 PM
Good to hear. If you end up getting a FW HD - then give epowermac a look (you&#39;ll see their ad at the top of the page 1/3rd of the time). They&#39;ve got some good prices, and they sponsor our site&#33; :)

pipsqeek
29th May 2004, 10:59 AM
epowermanc&#39;s prices are great. If you went and calculated separate case and HDD, you&#39;ll end up with the same price.

Very worth a look, and they are our sponsor, so this helps the forum and the sponsor, and in turn, yourself.

Steve

Currawong
29th May 2004, 03:48 PM
The only trouble I&#39;ve had with firewire drives were ones that don&#39;t use the Oxford or TI chipsets. With some older G4&#39;s, you couldn&#39;t use two bus-powered firewire drives at the same time, as the machine couldn&#39;t supply enough power.

Firewire is actually a form of SCSi, and is actually susceptable to similar issues as SCSI was. On my 15" Powerbook (1Ghz Aluminium) sometimes my external DVD burner wouldn&#39;t show up when I had two FW HD&#39;s plugged in. Even switching things around wouldn&#39;t solve the problem. I gather most of the chipsets can be firmware upgraded, but only from a PC. I&#39;m not sure what issues updates have solved, if any.

pipsqeek
30th May 2004, 11:21 AM
Although I cannot relate to the issues you experience, I do understand the problem.

Steve

kim jong il
8th June 2004, 09:03 PM
Just crashed in on your thread, as it happens I was going to start a thread regarding peoples experiences with western digital drives in general. As some of you are aware, all my hard drives are named after terrorists, mass murderers and such after a nasty incident with a seagate drive. As it happens the most recent seagate drive is as quiet and beautiful as new after around 15,000 hours (powered up time, not active). The new western digital 80 GB with 1300 on the clock is now exhibiting unusual bearing noise on startup (maybe 50 startups) and wake up from sleep, progressively quietens down after around 2 minutes. (I assume after whatever lubricant used warms) The future for this one is not looking good. Wondered about others experiences based on hours.

kim

the_argon
8th June 2004, 10:50 PM
Hrm, I&#39;ve had about 6-7 Western Digital drives over the years, never had any serious problems with them. Although I did manage to kill two of them&#33; (one my fault.) I&#39;ve had 2 80GB JB series, one in my iMac and one was in my PC.

The first JB I got when they were brand new, and it was great&#33; never missed a beat until I had power supply problems == dead drive :-(

The other JB is spinning away happily in my iMac right now...

In my PC I have a 40GB BB series, same as the JB just without the 8MB cache. And a 40GB Quantum Fireball AS (their last series of drives.) Had no problems with them at all.

Seagate come off as being a bit dodgy to me, never really liked their drives. IBM *are* dodgy (75GXP a.k.a. deathstar (http://www.pheuron.de/deathstar.htm).) Quantum made the best drives, SCSI & IDE. They created the U160 SCSI standard, and used to be the main supplier of HD&#39;s to Apple. Kinda sad that they sold their disk division to Maxtor.

stickman67
8th June 2004, 10:58 PM
Wow&#33; This takes me back.

My first computer was a Mac Plus with a 20 MB (that&#39;s MB, not GB) external HDD. It made a lot of noise, but I think that was par for the course in the late &#39;80s, early &#39;90s.

It&#39;s dead now ... *Sniff&#33;*

I ... I really don&#39;t want to talk about this now ...

:lol:

Currawong
9th June 2004, 07:05 PM
It&#39;s all weird to me...used to be quite clear cut about HD&#39;s...WD were dodgy, Seagate - don&#39;t buy the cheapest model range, IBM ok until the deathstar, etc etc.

I think each company has had various dodgy drives. It doesn&#39;t help that power supply issues likely killed many people&#39;s drives and they blamed the manufacturer instead of the real cause of the fault.

The two Seagate Baraccudas I use, which I mounted in my G4 beside each other with a round ATA100 cable have run flawlessly for years. I have no idea what I&#39;d get now if I needed more drive space.

kim jong il
10th June 2004, 08:30 AM
I spoke to a friend (aka RMIT drink NAZI) about his experience with WD drives, he replied I&#39;ve got 4 or 6 or something, they are beautiful. (his never get to spin down however). We came to the conclusion that on this one I am probably best off getting a return permission authorisation from the australian distributor to get a replacement before it fails. Even BMW produce the occasional lemons and one should not judge the company (and consequently all it&#39;s products) on something (one single item) which is displaying abberrant behaviour.

(NOTE: yes, the above statement by me positively reeks of hypocrisy (sp?))

PS (for the stickman) I have a 1988 CMS 20 MB SCSI drive (from a mac plus external) which still performs flawlessly. (no I don&#39;t use it and yes it is noisier than todays drives; always was)

Byrd
10th June 2004, 12:47 PM
Every single WD drive I&#39;ve come across has died on me - of course based on this I&#39;d never get one every again. This includes drives from 80MB -> 30GB (haven&#39;t tried any later&#33;)

Seagates aren&#39;t too bad, quiet - my 80GB 7200RPM drive died (I&#39;ve got three of them), but their RMA procedure was very prompt - only took a week for replacement. This is the brand I&#39;d recommend.

Maxtors haven&#39;t tried, they seem quite a bit more expensive and rarer.

IBM/Hitachi drives eeem fine now, although I&#39;ve 2 x deathstar drives that I never had any problems with (probably because they had an 80mm fan right in front of them when running inside my PC).

Was given a broken external USB 1.1 2.5" case last night, needs some resoldering of the USB port. Should be a nice thing to couple with a spare 3GB HD and take it to work. :)

And like kim, still have an external CMS 20MB drive from a Plus, no problems. Although, I&#39;d be surprised if any Rodime drive of the same era still worked.

JB

LCGuy
10th June 2004, 07:20 PM
LOL, I think most of those Rodime things crapped out in the late &#39;90s. :P

p53
8th November 2004, 02:54 PM
Hi pipsqueek
Did you have any trouble with the Metal Gear Box enclosure? Did you have to install any drivers?
I just got one and am having trouble mounting it on my PB.
Thanks.

Cam
8th November 2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 24 2004, 11:33 AM
I got a 120GB (8MB Cache) Western Digital for &#036;120 and a metal case that looks like a mini G5 > below. for another &#036;125.
I&#39;ve got the same metal case. its a "Magnitude". Im not using it anymore. :| Doesnt have a HDD in it

purana
8th November 2004, 07:47 PM
It would appear Robert from epowermac is being a little slow with email responses.. infact I sent one last week and got no reply to a query from an online form. Ah well no big deal.

I should be putting in an order soon, going to get a gen ii ice cube case so I can plonk my hdd into it.

pipsqeek
8th November 2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by p53@Nov 8 2004, 02:54 PM
Hi pipsqueek
Did you have any trouble with the Metal Gear Box enclosure? Did you have to install any drivers?
Thanks.
No, never had issues like that.

I installed the hdd in the case, pluged it in, turned it on.

OS X said it was not a valid disk, asked me to "format", "eject" or "cancel"

Format. opens Disk Util. Format the drive. done.

Honestly, I do have trouble (its happened twice in the time I&#39;ve had it) mounting the drive. but that has been due to OS X updates, not the drive itself.

pipsqeek

p53
9th November 2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks pipsqueek.
I&#39;m still having a lot of trouble with mine. I couldn&#39;t mount it externally on XP either so I put it in my brother&#39;s PC and partitioned & formatted in FAT32. The drive seems to work internally. But it doesn&#39;t work in the enclosure with XP or OS X. I think the case might be a lemon, but I don&#39;t have another hard drive I can test it with.

pipsqeek
9th November 2004, 11:51 AM
It sounds like the case, more specifically, the controller inside the case, is /&#39;d.

pipsqeek

p53
9th November 2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks pipsqueek. I&#39;ll see if I can get an exchange.

macmate
9th November 2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 24 2004, 11:33 AM
Doesn&#39;t matter.

No one got back to me in time, including the shop themselves unfortunately.

Fortunately I went to LCS (Local Computer Shop) where I know prices are poverty cheap.

I scored my Billion Modem there for &#036;95 which includes 4 port switch, firewall, IP forwarding etc.....

I got a 120GB (8MB Cache) Western Digital for &#036;120 and a metal case that looks like a mini G5 > below. for another &#036;125.

All up, &#036;245 for 8MB cache version.

Not bad I think, no shipping and its just down the road.

Steve
yeah thats a MacGear case. the price was ok. its about my standard price. but i would happily do better for appletalk people.
:)

macmate
9th November 2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by p53@Nov 8 2004, 02:54 PM
Hi pipsqueek
Thanks.
we have had problems with these cases in the past. i still prefer the sarotech cases which also have the power supply internal and are more sturdy.

p53
9th November 2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks macmate. I&#39;ll talk to the guy I bought it from, maybe I can try a different brand or something.

p53
9th November 2004, 05:23 PM
BTW quick question, just wondering can some drives not be used externally?
The drive I have is this one: http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsa...081,578,00.html (http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,578,00.html)

kim jong il
10th November 2004, 05:15 AM
If the jumpers are configured correctly the drive should not know or care where it is.

p53
10th November 2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Nov 10 2004, 05:15 AM
If the jumpers are configured correctly the drive should not know or care where it is.
Thanks kim jong il
I have the jumper configured for cable select. Is this the correct setting?
I have tried slave, single/master and limit capacity according to the image at Seagate&#39;s website: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref...r_settings.html (http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref/jumper_settings.html)

p53
2nd December 2004, 10:55 AM
Just a quick reply to say the problem was the case was faulty. Exchanged it and it has been working fine.
Thanks for all the help.