PDA

View Full Version : Specials and run outs for current iPods?

SyncMan
29th August 2007, 07:05 AM
If the rumours are true and new devices are coming next week maybe, or end of September at the latest I thought I would ask if anyone thought that there may be specials and old stock run outs of the current iPod range ahead of anything new.

I fully understand that Apple price things so there is not much room for movement, and they may also may try to make sure that dealers don't hold too much old stock to let this even happen, but there are many more dealers than ever before, and just maybe one had some they want to clear out.

So it is too early to expect any current stock bargains? ie Do they happen in the week prior to an announcement?

Or do they happen after the announcement?

Where would they be? ie Which dealer may have too much stock after all?

Where do you look to find them? ie Dealer websites? Green Guide (Melb only), Dealer specials catalogues? Elsewhere? (Spill them beans.)

(Note: This thread is not for discussion of new iPod rumours, please use other thread for such.)

tempestas
29th August 2007, 09:34 AM
Mostly its after the announcement and ship dates. Apple runs stock down in its channels so it will be the less effecter sellers who have old stock to move.

Usually the bigger Apple dealers have monthly firesales where the older model iPods will be on sale. DJ's and Myers have also been know to have deals after a new model comes out.

It really depends on the features and price point of the new model. Lets say the new 6th Gen has a touch screen but only 32Gb max capacity (as its NAND based) at the same price point as the current 80Gb then there may be no discount, If instead its a 160GB hard drive model at the same point then to move older stock you will need to discount it more.

If the new Nano is capable of playing video and has say 16Gb capacity for the current 8Gb price point then the current 4Gb Nano's would need to be well under $200 to sell.

Does that help.

decryption
29th August 2007, 09:37 AM
Refurbished 5th Gen Video iPods, $270 (which are practically like new) on the Apple online store - ain't gonna get much cheaper than that!

tempestas
29th August 2007, 10:00 AM
Refurbished 5th Gen Video iPods, $270 (which are practically like new) on the Apple online store - ain't gonna get much cheaper than that!

Tempting Decryption tempting, of course this may mean its a radical change that makes these one less enticing,,,

SyncMan
6th September 2007, 03:34 PM
Any updates on this?

I hear that maybe just maybe, Big W, Target, and DSE, but not Myers.

All other places (Melb) no stock of older models.

sanjay
6th September 2007, 03:36 PM

bah, if anyone wants they can have my mint condition 30gb black video for $200 :)

cosmichobo
6th September 2007, 03:58 PM
Just judging by any of the Big W's, KMart's, Target's, & HN's that I've been in lately, they HAD no stock of iPods (a few shuffles at best), so maybe they've been running their stocks down...