PDA

View Full Version : splitting iTunes database?

internet
27th August 2007, 08:40 PM
All,

my macbook's hard disk is almost full, and i think it's due to my greedy (yet all legal) 50gb music collection in iTunes..
Now i probably only listen to 20gb of this regularly, and i'd be happy with somehow having the other 30gb stored away on my external hard disk that i plug in 1/2 of the time that i use this laptop.
Is there a neat way to create another itunes library, and have it automatically mount into iTunes when i plug the usb drive in?

thanks mactalkers :thumbup:

morgan
27th August 2007, 08:45 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304447

internet
27th August 2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks, but it's not possible to have two open at once?

xfodder
27th August 2007, 09:14 PM
not that i know of ... i don't think itunes uses a database ... its just an xml file that points itunes in the right direction

the only way i can think of, to do what you want to do, is to get a cheap mac/pc and put the music on it and use the sharing function to access it ...

internet
27th August 2007, 09:23 PM
ah k, thanks, i think it's time for a macbook pro!

thanks for your help guys

p53
27th August 2007, 09:24 PM
what about creating another user on your MacBook, and linking that user's iTunes library to the external hard drive. Then, access that library as a shared library?

internet
27th August 2007, 09:25 PM
you could access another user if they're not logged on?

Devil
27th August 2007, 09:28 PM
Cant you change the location files are stored in the iTunes preferences? If the song listed in iTunes is on a drive that isn't connected, you'll just get an error saying the song couldn't be found (and asking if you'd like to locate it).

internet
27th August 2007, 09:32 PM
i'll be stuffed if i'm doing that for several thousand songs :)

don't worry ladies and gents, i was only going to pursue this if it was an easy fix!

i'll either buy a new macbook pro or bigger hard drive!

thanks again