PDA

View Full Version : Macbook wont respond

Ipheat
27th August 2007, 06:12 PM
hey guys

i have a macbook, i used earlier today and it worked fine.

i got some new ram today and installed it, and pressed the power button. and nothing happened except the sleep light kept flashing and the screen wouldnt light up. so i turned it off and on a few more times and still nothing happened.

so i though it could be ther ram, so i uninstalled the ram and put in the old chips. and still no responce. sleep light just flashes and the screen doesnt power up.

so im hoping maby its a dead battery or somthing its charging now, bu ti have a feeling it could be something more.

can anyone shed any light on what option it could be, and how to fix it so i dont have to take it in a spend money for it to be reparied.

thanks guys

purana
27th August 2007, 06:30 PM
Make sure you have seated the ram correctly... it's usually pretty stiff and you might not have it all the way in, especially since you say the original ram don't work. I suspect it's not in far enough much like the new ram was.

Ipheat
27th August 2007, 06:35 PM
oh ok, ill try it again.

would that make the screen not come on though?

jeremy_warnock
27th August 2007, 06:39 PM
yeap, if the ram is not seated corrected the machine wont start

kingkangkong
27th August 2007, 06:50 PM
got to really stuff the ram in tightly.

the ram slot in the macbk is very stiff.

Ipheat
27th August 2007, 06:51 PM
Ok thanks heaps guys ill give it a go and let u know how i go.

thanks

purana
27th August 2007, 06:51 PM
And this is why people who are not confident shouldn't do things like this. It causes all sorts of issues ;)

Ipheat
27th August 2007, 06:58 PM
i am confident though. i installed a ram chip into the same macbook only a few months ago. and worked fine. did the exact same thing as last and now it doesn repsond.

Ipheat
27th August 2007, 08:01 PM
would this be the case if one was working and one wasnt ? would is still not turn on?

themacuser
27th August 2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah. All RAM needs to be either in or out (one half-seated RAM chip will also mess stuff up)

choy
27th August 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree. RAM is not installed properly, or if you're really unlucky, you've killed your RAM. I've done the latter before - had exactly the same symptoms as you. Original ram didn't work, had to replace the RAM.

YOu shut the machine down before you installed the RAM, right? YOu made sure it was actually shut off rather than closing the lid when it started to shut down? Because that can stick it into sleep mode, and if you install/uninstall ram in sleep mode, you kill your ram.

jeremy_warnock
27th August 2007, 10:43 PM
true but only is the power cable was in. If no power cable and no battery - no sleep

Ipheat
28th August 2007, 07:33 AM
I think i have killed the ram, dont know how i was pretty cafeful installing it.
i put in my old ram chips, and they worked.

lucky they come with lifetime warrenty, i think ill get a apple technician to install em save me the grief.