PDA

View Full Version : Can't burn DVD's

andam
27th August 2007, 10:43 AM
My 12" Powerbook will allow DVDs to be burnt from iTunes but when I go to burn files or data from anywhere else I get the following message,

"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code 0x8002006D)."

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,

andam

WonderBoy
27th August 2007, 10:44 AM
Have you tried lowering the speed of the burn? Mac OS X allows you to specify the speed in the dialog box?

andam
27th August 2007, 10:47 AM
I was burning on the best speed that was available. Which was x1.

Aa
27th August 2007, 11:03 AM
Here are two good links to Apple support discussions to start with:

link one (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4899989)

link two (continues on from link one i think) (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=119512&tstart=0)

Ammiss
27th August 2007, 03:07 PM
Links look interesting. Will let you know how we go.
Thanks

Aa
27th August 2007, 03:39 PM
eh? Are there two of you?

WonderBoy
27th August 2007, 03:48 PM
eh? Are there two of you?

How do you know it's two? Could be three or four ;)

andam
27th August 2007, 07:19 PM
Oops! I was on my daughter's computer. Andam is the one.

iThinkMac
4th September 2007, 09:14 PM
andam, have you tried buring the same data in the same disc/s but in a new user account? If not, I'd be interested to see if the problem persists...
iTM

EDIT: you've got the latest software/firmware updates?

meinrosebud
4th September 2007, 09:31 PM
Does the media you are using support 1x? We would like to know.

andam
8th September 2007, 08:33 PM
I have worked through a lot of the info on the the two links you gave me several days ago. Its plain to see that this is not an uncommon problem. Thanks for the direction.
Still working on it.

andam
8th September 2007, 08:38 PM
Haven't tried the new user account.
Excuse my ignorance, what is firmware and how do I get it updated?

andam
8th September 2007, 08:44 PM
I am using Verbatim 16x DVD's. They seem to burn ok when I'm using OSX 10.2.7

Byrd
8th September 2007, 09:57 PM
Excuse my ignorance, what is firmware and how do I get it updated?

Firmware is the software that is embedded in a hardware device, such as in an optical drive, motherboard BIOS and graphics card. With relevance to a DVD burner, the firmware that ships with the drive can be updated at a later date, if the manufacturer decides to release an update. The firmware update usually supports a greater range of DVD media, and/or makes it work better with different brands. Burning speeds are often improved too.

JB

kim jong il
8th September 2007, 11:58 PM
In the past when I've had burning issues that I believed were not media related I have experimented using re-writables as it is a low cost way of determining the cause of some issues like buffer under-run errors and such and write/verification errors caused by failing RAM. Obviously you can't diagnose all problems this way but it does prevent you from making piles of coasters.

PS. Sorry that this provides you with no advice on what I think your particular issue might be. :(

andam
19th September 2007, 10:30 AM
Firmware is the software that is embedded in a hardware device, such as in an optical drive, motherboard BIOS and graphics card. With relevance to a DVD burner, the firmware that ships with the drive can be updated at a later date, if the manufacturer decides to release an update. The firmware update usually supports a greater range of DVD media, and/or makes it work better with different brands. Burning speeds are often improved too.

JB

Thanks Byrd for your reply. It was very informative. Now I understand.

andam
19th September 2007, 10:33 AM
In the past when I've had burning issues that I believed were not media related I have experimented using re-writables as it is a low cost way of determining the cause of some issues like buffer under-run errors and such and write/verification errors caused by failing RAM. Obviously you can't diagnose all problems this way but it does prevent you from making piles of coasters.

PS. Sorry that this provides you with no advice on what I think your particular issue might be. :(

Thanks kim jong il. Never thought of doing that.

andam
2nd October 2007, 07:55 PM
can a mod please close this thread.

Thanks,
andam

kim jong il
2nd October 2007, 08:32 PM
can a mod please close this thread.

Thanks,
andam

Can you please tell us the outcome? It may help others. :)

DJY
2nd October 2007, 08:43 PM
Don't close the thread just yet please...
my new MBP gave me error problems yesterday when I started to burn DVDs as backups!

Tried 3-4 of the DVDs I always use and never had problems...
then even tried it in my Mac mini as well with the same errors!

Thanks for the link to the Apple support forum - I will try again tomorrow night and note down which actual error number I have - to start the messy / confusing process by the look of the two linked threads and range of issues / fixes people have had.

iThinkMac
2nd October 2007, 08:50 PM
Yea, the thread really doesn't need closing (unless andam has a reason), as someone else may dig it up down the track and add a question without having to make a whole new thread.

DJY, what brand of DVD?

DJY
2nd October 2007, 08:55 PM
DJY, what brand of DVD?

Princo

Yeah yeah I know not the world's most expensive media... btu has always worked perfectly on my G4 17" PB and Mac mini up until now!

Was trying to work out if this was the first DVD I've burnt using my MBP - as lately I have been using the mini - but it takes forever so I thought I'd try my newer faster MBP.

DVD Plaza
2nd October 2007, 10:31 PM
PrincoGood god - I don't think I've ever had success burning Princo and other crappy brand discs on a Mac... TDK and Verbatim on the other hand I've never had a single failure.

DJY
3rd October 2007, 07:09 AM
Good god - I don't think I've ever had success burning Princo and other crappy brand discs on a Mac... TDK and Verbatim on the other hand I've never had a single failure.

Yeah yeah I know - but three friends and I (I switched two of them) have been using them for a few years and I've never had a problem until now.

I'll head in and buy some Verb or TDK today and give them a try...
I'm almost starting to think though that buying extra Ext HDD is becoming almost as viable as backing video files up to DVD!
currently seems to be 25c per DVD and 50c for GB on a HDD.
Sure you can get cheaper (DVDs), and the prices of External HDD have come down alot...

WIll report how I go though with Verbatim or TDK

iThinkMac
3rd October 2007, 03:16 PM
Yea, I'd be interested to see how you get on. Just seemed strange that ALL the macs you tried it one had the same mysterious phobia to the discs.

DJY
3rd October 2007, 06:49 PM
Didn't get to the shop today - but should get there tomorrow!
Will report how TDK / Verbatim go.

iThinkMac
3rd October 2007, 07:07 PM
No probs...I'd be interested.

Peter Wells
3rd October 2007, 08:19 PM
i only burn on shintaro DVD's from JB Hifi.

dirt cheap and manufactured at the same plant as TDK.

my 2c.

Aladdin
4th October 2007, 08:38 PM
i only burn on shintaro DVD's from JB Hifi.

dirt cheap and manufactured at the same plant as TDK.

my 2c.

Does this mean Shintaro discs are the discs that TDK reject???

Last time I used Shintaro discs, several became coasters due to writing errors. (Personal experience)

They are cheaper, though.

DJY
4th October 2007, 10:36 PM
Ok

Didn't get the chance to get into the city today - but did grab 10x DVD spindle from the Co Op Bookshop (only brand they had or imitation single DVDs).

Burnt four DVDs with Toast on the MBP no problems...
then got two in a row that resulted with "Medium Errors".

Still keen to trial TDK / Verbatim as many report reliable success...
so working hypothesis is
MBP DVD drive does work but is fussy.
Better I guess than having a faulty drive or one that doesn't work at all!

Any other current (latest release) MBP owners noticed fussy / problems with the SuperDrives?

I have
15" 2.2GHz C2D with 2GB RAM.
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E: (Firmware Revision: ZA0E)

Mac OS X 10.4.10 with Toast 8

iThinkMac
5th October 2007, 12:40 PM
Mmmm...just for interest, what speed are you burning at?

DJY
5th October 2007, 07:15 PM
Officially 2 x speed... when I tried from Finder...
but I did notice using Toast - that even despite thinking I could only burn at 2 x speed...
I notice the new Toast 8 gives you current and average burning speeds which often hit 4 or 5 x?!!

Sambo
5th October 2007, 08:25 PM
My Verbatim DVD-R discs are not working in my macbook pro superdrive, which is quite annoying as they where working fine before. It's not that the discs are stuffed, as they work on a pioneer drive in the PC. I think maybe the matsushita drives are shit. Just for the record I tried a Mitsubishi (same manufacturer as verbatim) DVD-RW today and it worked fine... :S

DJY
5th October 2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks Sambo... so it seems my working hypothesis is still looking viable.

Any other MBP owners with the same drive had problems?
Or which brand DVD do you use?

Maybe I shouldn't buy Verbatim tomorrow - but another brand?
TDK? Something else?

Oh that no name brand spindle I used I forgot to state was "Laser" brand?!?!
Was the only marking on it.
Will head to JB HiFi tomorrow or a couple of computer shops to grab a couple of other brands.

Sambo
5th October 2007, 09:27 PM
It's just weird that every type of DVD is working except for just a plain DVD-R, I thought that would be the easiest one to do..

DJY
6th October 2007, 08:08 PM
Update from DJY:

Bought a spindle of Verbatim DVD-R's today - and so far have burnt a dozen or so... all fine. Using Toast 8 and up to speeds of 8x!

I didn't think MBP SuperDrive actually ever burnt that fast? (despite listed specs of 8x)
Mac OS X menu options often are only 1 x or 2 x speed.

SO my hypothesis - of the drive being fussy - seem to be true.

andam
6th October 2007, 09:41 PM
Can you please tell us the outcome? It may help others. :)

No problem. I reinstalled OSX 10.2.7 and now at least I can burn DVD's. I had no success trying all the other suggestions but do appreciate people's input.

The only thing I couldn't seem to find was if there was a firmware update for the superdrive.

Thanks,
andam

DJY
2nd January 2008, 12:08 PM
OK
Today I had to burn some data CDs - first time in ages...
and now this MBP drive didn't recognise Verbatim CD-Rs?!?!?!!

sigh - I heard it spin up three times before it spat the CD back out.
Was able to burn them on my Mac mini - but I'm starting to think this drive is far too fussy to be right!

Only hiccup is this time I didn't by the MBP from Mac1 that has their own service centre but a Dick Smith Powerhouse... and sure I believe they are Apple Aust staff there - but not sure whether they do repairs, send it to Syd, or let Mac1 do them!?!?!

sigh