View Full Version : SuperDrive LOST... Help plsss

rainnie67
26th August 2007, 04:38 AM
Hi, I was a PC user, newly using Mac...
Please help me on this problem...

I bought a 2nd hand PowerBook G4 15" begin of this year,
it was in good condition...
but about last month, I inserted a DVD into my SuperDrive,
it could not load... after that I found the eject icon (watermark) is not appear when i press the eject button...
I tried to restart, tried to command+opt+P+R to eject, but it still doesn't work...
(I tried the DVD on Desktop G4 before that, it works well...)

from my hardware list, the Disc Burning item, it shows
"No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly."

but every time I restart, the superdrive turns, i could hear and feel it...

what should I do?? it lost... ~>_<~

leon
26th August 2007, 08:38 AM
When you restart the laptop hold down the mouse/trackpad button. This worked when I disk got stuck in a mac mini at work.
If your system is not recognising your superdrive, then it sounds like a hardware issue to me. Take it in and get someone to look at it.

Mctastic
26th August 2007, 09:37 AM
also, you may open the system profiler, . got to ATA(one of the first options in the list under hardware), and if the drive does not show up there, .. then 9/10 it's not connected.

to get the system profiler, .. go to the Apple logo(top right corner of screen), .. select 'About this mac', choose the 'more info' option in the window that appears... good luck!

rainnie67
27th August 2007, 01:22 PM
thanks for answering...
but it still can't work.. >_<

I think I may have to change the superdrive to a new one
$$ fly away...

purana
27th August 2007, 01:35 PM
If it's hardware fault, in which it sounds like. New drive required :)

Edge
27th August 2007, 01:41 PM
If you're handy, you can take apart the PowerBook yourself and replace the drive with a Pioneer DVR-K06 (I think that's the correct model number.) They're about $120 from a few different places, and are supported.

stewiesno1
27th August 2007, 02:08 PM
You can also buy cheaper yet new ones from ebay and other sources for $60-$100. A google should turn up a few models.You may have to use Patchburn to make these bootable . Panasonic ( Matsushita ) seem to be the ones to work best in Macs. As Edge says just take the case apart and slip the new one in.
Stewie

rainnie67
28th August 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks a lot for your advises ^_^
I will do it when I'm free... thanks.. appreciate ;)

MacDave
28th August 2007, 02:11 PM
Though I agree this is probably a hardware issue, standard procedure in these cases (according to Apple techs with whom I've spoken...) is to reset openfirmware. Can't hurt and there's a -possibility- it will fix things.

The procedure is to boot holding down command-option-O-F and hold those keys down till your see a silver screen with white text and then release them.

At the prompt, enter these three commands (hitting "Return" after each one):

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

The last command will reboot into OS X.

Also, FYI, the most powerful method to eject a stuck CD/DVD is to enter openfirmware and type:

eject CD

Then type the following to boot into OS X:

mac-boot

Granted, none of this may help if your burner is physically disconnected somehow, but then again, it was working at one point. Connections don't -just- break either and the burner is spinning.

Dave

Brains
28th August 2007, 02:27 PM
If you decide to go the do-it-yourself drive replacement path, you have to be aware that you can not just 'drop in' any drive -- even if you buy the same model used by Apple from a non-Apple source, you can lose the ability to boot your computer from the optical drive (a real pain next time you have to re-install the OS).

All microtray and slot-loader optical drives come from the factory with a zero-ohm resistor soldered into the "Cable Select" position. Whilst you can put one of these into your PowerBook, and you will be able to read from it and burn to it, you will not be able to boot from it. All Macs using IDE can only boot from an optical drive that is set to Master. You can either buy a Mac-ready drive from a suitable supplier like iFixit, FastMac or OWC in the USA, or if you are adept with a fine-point soldering iron, move the resistor yourself.

B.