PDA

View Full Version : iBook and Mac Mini RAM?

fompsweeva
5th February 2005, 03:37 PM
Howdy,

I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini. To save money, I'm thinking I may be able to take the extra 512 megs of ram out of my iBook and put in the 256 that comes with the Mac Mini, and then put the 512 into the mac mini.

Is that even possible?

Thanks
-Mike

funkmaster_dan
5th February 2005, 04:26 PM
Thats right, the mini uses full size ram, whereas the ibook will use the much smaller so-dimm ram.

fompsweeva
5th February 2005, 05:12 PM
What's the type of RAM for the Mac Mini? There are so many different types it's all confusing.

Is the best value to go with the 512 from Apple BTO?

codeman
5th February 2005, 05:52 PM
The Mini uses PC2700 DDR (also called DDR333 and similar) memory if I recall correctly. You should be able to get it from any PC retailer - some of them sell really cheap dodgy shit though, so look for a brand that's known to be Mac friendly. I can't advise on this since I haven't got a Mac yet (soon...)

I checked the Apple online store and going to 512mb is only $120, so it's probably about the same if you do it yourself - a 512mb stick of respectable ram would most likely cost about that much, but you'd get the 256mb to keep as spare then (pity it doesn't have 2 slots eh?).

Looks like for 512mb there isn't much difference, but if you go to 1gb then you'd save a fair bit doing it yourself I think...

suryo
5th February 2005, 05:59 PM
Unless you can find a use for the 256MB stick that you'd be replacing, then yes - the 512MB BTO is the way to go.

Currawong
5th February 2005, 08:03 PM
I second the suggestion that the BTO option is the most sane.