PDA

View Full Version : They've done it! Full iPhone unlock via software no hardware mod!

Jazarus
25th August 2007, 01:33 AM
It seems the folks here in Australia who bought iPhones early will be rewarded with their iPhones able to function fully here in oz without the need for an AT&T contract.

The guys at iphonesimfree.com demonstrated their iphone unlock software in front of the Engadget team who are now willing to stake their reputation by confirming its a full software sim unlock and cannot be restored in anyway by Apple!

they expect the software unlock to be released soon.

engadget link (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/iphone-unlocked-atandt-loses-iphone-exclusivity-august-24-2007/)

dotnet
25th August 2007, 01:35 AM
... does it run Linux?

SCNR

Cheers
Steffen

Kuma
25th August 2007, 02:01 AM
this is bad for apple....
I believe they get revenue from the data plans for every phone sold and subscribed..

this is good for apple...
they will now sell shit load more phones....

xfodder
25th August 2007, 02:02 AM
even if they have unlocked them, the only way you can buy an iphone is with a plan isn't it ?

Edge
25th August 2007, 02:31 AM
even if they have unlocked them, the only way you can buy an iphone is with a plan isn't it ?
Err, no.

Johnny Appleseed
25th August 2007, 02:46 AM

The plan doesn't kick in till you complete the activation process. This is just a different activation process!

samuelclarke
25th August 2007, 04:30 AM
Looks good - a few features missing, but overall it's impressive. I think that there are going to be a few people happy about this...

Now if only Apple would realise that they need to start working with all the networks to deliver all the features on the iPhone - just imagine sales then!

volks
25th August 2007, 07:01 AM
Is this the article your refering to... opps yeh you are.... I like the comment on macrumors "but international customers now have much more flexibility and could use the iPhone on any GSM network."

looks good, the people who bought them from the US must be relived, but this all has to be good for a official iphone for australia, means we can play with some good tools here when it hits and maybe choose our on network... instead of the chosen winning one...

I reckon apple would not care, as long as there phone roll out the door... they may patch to restore for the carrier... but it's going to be a revolving door from now on I reckon... tit for tat...

iPhone unlocked: AT&T loses iPhone exclusivity
http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/iphone-unlocked-atandt-loses-iphone-exclusivity-august-24-2007/

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/24/fully-sim-unlocked-iphones/

Engadget posts confirmation that iPhoneSimFree can provide a software application that will completely unlock the iPhone, allowing you to use other mobile network's SIM cards.
The six-man team has been working non-stop since launch day, and they're officially the first to break Apple's SIM locks on the iPhone. It's done. Seriously. They wouldn't tell us when and how they would release it to the public, but you can certainly bet that they'll try to make a buck on their solution (and rightly so).

Engadget posts screenshots and notes from the install. Some highlights:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphone-unlocked/

- The unlock process took only a couple of minutes
- The General -> Network menu now has an EDGE network settings area where you can input your carrier's APN and username / password
- No Visual Voicemail. (but regular dial in voicemail works)
- The method claims to be restore and upgrade resistant

It appears iPhoneSIMFree will start selling this application next week.
http://www.iphonesimfree.com/

SIM Unlocking the iPhone will allow users to use other GSM-based mobile networks with the iPhone. For U.S. customers, this limits you to simply switching to T-Mobile from AT&T, but international customers now have much more flexibility and could use the iPhone on any GSM network.

walexx
25th August 2007, 07:15 AM
Hot on the heels of the iphonesimfree unlock solution is another one just reported on engadget http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/iphone-software-unlock-competition-begins-to-heat-up/

OziMac
25th August 2007, 07:37 AM
One's purely software whilst the other is a combination of hardware and software tampering.

Can't wait to see what it's like when it's released next week! :)

iSlayer
25th August 2007, 07:44 AM
mmmm tempting to buy an iPhone now but think ill still wait for a 3g version

vargz
25th August 2007, 07:49 AM
mmmm tempting to buy an iPhone now but think ill still wait for a 3g version

Here Here :thumbup:

Al Aero
25th August 2007, 08:44 AM
There, there.

Yeah yeah!

but damm my 3g helstra simcard!

decryption
25th August 2007, 09:10 AM
I don't know how much longer I can hold out!!
3G iPhone, maybe, maybe not, argh :(

nicwithsticks
25th August 2007, 09:25 AM
GAH!

I wish I waasn't with Three! I'd have one of these quick smart!

Unfortunately, it looks like another year of waiting (at least) for those wanting a 3G iPhone that is built for Aussie usage.

Even then, no one even knows if the Aus iPhone will be 3G. I hope it is.

iSlayer
25th August 2007, 09:32 AM
Even then, no one even knows if the Aus iPhone will be 3G. I hope it is.

Even if its not Europe may get a 3g version still so even just waiting for that then unlocking it(assuming its compatible here) is better then getting the current version

Quamen
25th August 2007, 09:33 AM
I don't know how much longer I can hold out!!
3G iPhone, maybe, maybe not, argh :(

You and me both. I want pricing on the software unlock and I want it now... that or a free alternative.

My trigger finger is getting very very itchy.

mattatkins
25th August 2007, 09:54 AM
Damn it wish I hadnt purchased my turbo sim now.

Linux_insidev2
25th August 2007, 10:07 AM
I'm torn between thinking they are pricks for A) not letting anyone know how they did it B) pricks for charging and
on the other hand I think that it's great what they have done and they deserve a reward.

I'm really interested to know how this exploit works though...

scruffie
25th August 2007, 10:23 AM
uh huh - i would be doing a nice little money dance if i were in their shoes.

Linux_insidev2
25th August 2007, 10:28 AM
To the guys who have already got iPhones, did you purchase these on eBay or through someone else that might do imports? I'll be looking at getting one in a few weeks.

titan44
25th August 2007, 10:30 AM
ebay here

mattatkins
25th August 2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah got mine on ebay

toholio
25th August 2007, 10:58 AM
GAH!

I wish I waasn't with Three! I'd have one of these quick smart!

Same here. I'd be happy to change away from Three for an iPhone but I'll have to wait for my contract to end before this is a sensible option.

Hopefully one of the European versions will be 3G and easily unlocked.

Quamen
25th August 2007, 11:26 AM
Hopefully one of the European versions will be 3G and easily unlocked.

Good luck with that plan. I highly doubt we're going to see a 3G version this soon after the EDGE version.

jml383
25th August 2007, 11:32 AM
To the guys who have already got iPhones, did you purchase these on eBay or through someone else that might do imports? I'll be looking at getting one in a few weeks.

I purchased through this guy based in the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-8-GB-iPHONE-NEW-IN-BOX-WILL-SHIP-INTERNATIONAL_W0QQitemZ130145052227QQihZ003QQcateg oryZ64355QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I ordered it Fri last week (17/8) and arrived in SYD on Thu (23/8). He had already sold 7 before me so felt comfortable dealing with the guy. Paid in total with shipping AUD950 as the ass went out of the Aussie dollar the day I bought it (around 0.78 but it is back up to 0.82 this morning)

cheers
james

dockerland
25th August 2007, 11:32 AM
Bit of a n00b question, now the iphone is unlocked it still won't work on the three network?

applecollector
25th August 2007, 11:36 AM
So where can we get this software from?
So yea it won't work with 3 if even if it's unlocked?

toholio
25th August 2007, 11:56 AM
So yea it won't work with 3 if even if it's unlocked?

Bit of a n00b question, now the iphone is unlocked it still won't work on the three network?

I might function but only in roaming mode since it wont be able to attach to Three's network directly. You could do this in the short term but Three will notice after a while and start abusing you.

themacuser
25th August 2007, 12:02 PM
It will function on 3's network. Only it will be roaming on Telstra's 2G network because it doesn't support 3G, and you'll be paying $1.65/MB in data charges. And 3 may notice that you never use 3G...

That is, of course, if the SIM behaves in the iPhone, 3 sims have a habit of not working in non-3G phones...

Brentnal
25th August 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm a little concerned about using the iPhone on Telstra's network. According to their website they charge 22c per GPRS connection and 2.2c per KB (yes KB) downloaded).

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/info/gprs.htm

I wonder how much data the iPhone would use over GPRS every month?

Exocet
25th August 2007, 12:42 PM
I'm a little concerned about using the iPhone on Telstra's network. According to their website they charge 22c per GPRS connection and 2.2c per KB (yes KB) downloaded).

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/info/gprs.htm

I wonder how much data the iPhone would use over GPRS every month?
This is why I recommend waiting for an official release. If Telstra/Optus/Whoever offer the iPhone we'll probably see unlimited data plans similar to the $30 Hiptop plan (http://www.telstra.com.au/hiptop/index.htm). or unlimited Blackberry plans (http://www.telstra.com.au/business/products/mobiles/wirelessemail/blackberrysolutions/individual.htm).

Edge
25th August 2007, 12:47 PM
Agreed, Exocet.

But I can't wait, and I'll be using the $59 Telstra Pre-Paid Data 200MB Pack initially. (A rip-off, yes. But I'm going to see whether Edge is worth paying for over plain-old GPRS.)

I have two iPhones arriving from the US Apple Store in a week or so. Will be offloading one to partially cover the cost.

OziMac
25th August 2007, 01:00 PM
bought mine at an apple store... Only way to go ;)

TheKeddi
25th August 2007, 01:13 PM
How do you get them from the US Apple store??

I would like to get one but how do you manage it??

Brentnal
25th August 2007, 01:41 PM
This is why I recommend waiting for an official release. If Telstra/Optus/Whoever offer the iPhone we'll probably see unlimited data plans similar to the $30 Hiptop plan (http://www.telstra.com.au/hiptop/index.htm). or unlimited Blackberry plans (http://www.telstra.com.au/business/products/mobiles/wirelessemail/blackberrysolutions/individual.htm).

I wonder if you can get on the hiptop plan for 24 months, without purchasing the handset. Then put the SIM card in a iPhone....

nicwithsticks
25th August 2007, 01:46 PM
It will not work on the Three network as they use USIM cards, not standard SIM cards like other networks use. These cards do not work in 2G phones.

EDIT: I'm more then happy to be proven wrong here. If someone gets an iPhone unlocked and has access to a 3 USIM to try, I'd welcome the tryout. If it works, I'll be trying very hard not to get one.

mac_man_luke
25th August 2007, 01:57 PM
3 only allow 3g phones so no

should work with anyone else

Quamen
25th August 2007, 02:11 PM
How do you get them from the US Apple store??

I would like to get one but how do you manage it??

EASY!

1. Fly to America.
2. Walk into Apple Store.
3. Buy iPhone.
4. Fly Home

titan44
25th August 2007, 02:19 PM
So what the best phone/Data plan for Iphones in Aus?

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/postpaid_3g.html

"Having a 3G phone makes this a whole lot faster, but actually it is available to all our post paid customers, including those with the older 2.5G phones."

MightyAtom
25th August 2007, 02:52 PM
So what the best phone/Data plan for Iphones in Aus?

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/postpaid_3g.html

"Having a 3G phone makes this a whole lot faster, but actually it is available to all our post paid customers, including those with the older 2.5G phones."

Telstra is the only company with an Edge network.

thebookfreak58
25th August 2007, 02:53 PM
It will not work on the Three network as they use USIM cards, not standard SIM cards like other networks use. These cards do not work in 2G phones.

EDIT: I'm more then happy to be proven wrong here. If someone gets an iPhone unlocked and has access to a 3 USIM to try, I'd welcome the tryout. If it works, I'll be trying very hard not to get one.

Bit OT, but from memory Vodafone/Optus 3G use USIM cards too, I *think* that the difference between a normal SIM and USIM is the memory size, but I honestly can't remember. The reason that 3's USIM's don't work in (almost) all 2G phones, is because they've specially programmed that way (as 3 don't own a 2G network). But Optus/Telstra/Vodafone 3G USIM's DO work in 2G devices.

But as someone else pointed out, 3 don't really let you roam (be on 2G) all the time, and people in the past have been called up as to why their phones are contrantly roaming, as it would if on an iPhone.

(I'd also love for a 3 SIM to work in an iPhone....that'd be sweet)

mechcon
25th August 2007, 03:06 PM
so.. you can't recieve calls on it?

iSlave
25th August 2007, 03:09 PM
Don't mean to poop the party but isn't unlocking the iPhone biting off the hand that feeds you.
Apple have structured this product including revenue from voice/data with it's agreed carrier so as to make this product viable.

Does this not deprive a legitimate company of its rightful income?

MightyAtom
25th August 2007, 03:33 PM
Does this not deprive a legitimate company of its rightful income?
No, that's a specious argument. By your logic my TV, toaster and dishwasher manufacturer should get a 10% cut of my power bills.

Apple make a profit on the hardware. They're being deprived nothing, and only profit further due to their power to manipulate service providers.

mechcon
25th August 2007, 03:41 PM
so... can it recieve phonecalls? or just ring out?

iSlave
25th August 2007, 03:43 PM
They're being deprived nothing, and only profit further due to their power to manipulate service providers.

Profit further or meet target to make the product viable?

You obviously have access to some pretty hot figures from Apple to know how profitable the iPhone is or how much revenue the hardware generates for them.

mechcon
25th August 2007, 03:54 PM
okay so the answer is no i gather.. what a jip......

MightyAtom
25th August 2007, 03:56 PM
Profit further or meet target to make the product viable?

You obviously have access to some pretty hot figures from Apple to know how profitable the iPhone is or how much revenue the hardware generates for them.
By all analyses of the hardware components to date Apple have somewhere around a 50% margin. They're making a tidy profit on the handset alone, it is a viable product.

Profit sharing with a manufacturer is unprecedented in the handset market, they're just manipulating network providers to score an extra $150 profit per handset and screw consumers. Which I personally find reprehensible.

iSlave
25th August 2007, 04:04 PM
By all analyses of the hardware components to date Apple have somewhere around a 50% margin. They're making a tidy profit on the handset alone, it is a viable product.

Profit sharing with a manufacturer is unprecedented in the handset market, they're just manipulating network providers to score an extra $150 profit per handset and screw consumers. Which I personally find reprehensible.

So buy a Nokia and get an Optus pre-pay.

screw consumers? Apple is not a public service. You don't have to buy from them.

"reprehensible"??? But it's okay for you to screw them?

That makes sense. :confused:

MightyAtom
25th August 2007, 04:10 PM
"reprehensible"??? But it's okay for you to screw them?
How exactly am I screwing them? It is perfectly legal to unlock a mobile phone and Steve Jobs won't end up sleeping in a cardboard box because he only received about USD$300 from my handset purchase, and didn't get a cut of my monthly bill.

forgie
25th August 2007, 04:11 PM

I'm sure R&D didn't cost Apple anything. At all. Nor the manufacturing of a new type of touch screen, with a non-standard LCD, using non-standard materials.

Please don't quote those stupid iSuppli "take apart" component price list things, they are completely misrepresentative of the actual cost of delivering a product like the iPhone. Apple's prices on those components would likely be lower than what iSuppli quotes them on, but their other costs are completely ignored.

At the end of the day, Apple are not monopolising, they are not market leaders in the cell phone market. How the hell can ANYTHING they do be "reprehensible"? It is only reprehensible because you REALLY want their product, which doesn't make them look bad, it makes you look bad! :o

iSlave
25th August 2007, 04:16 PM
How exactly am I screwing them? It is perfectly legal to unlock a mobile phone and Steve Jobs won't end up sleeping in a cardboard box because he only received about USD$300 from my handset purchase, and didn't get a cut of my monthly bill.

It's not worth debating. I'm sure you're smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong and what ethics are. You're trying to justify it on a flimsy argument and some un-sourced figures. The debate about consumer choice ends with your choice to purchase a phone with the supplied carrier or choose another phone. -iSlave out! :thumbup:

MightyAtom
25th August 2007, 04:22 PM
At the end of the day, Apple are not monopolising, they are not market leaders in the cell phone market. How the hell can ANYTHING they do be "reprehensible"? It is only reprehensible because you REALLY want their product, which doesn't make them look bad, it makes you look bad! :o

I never said anything about monopolising, nor that they are a market leader. They've created an aspirational product that is highly desired and allows them to play network providers off against each other to gain ludicrously profitable contracts.

Getting back to the point. Let's remember when you buy the phone, you buy just the phone and the contract of sale is complete. You don't sign a contract or any form of agreement to sign up to the provider Apple has partnered with.

MightyAtom
25th August 2007, 04:25 PM
It's not worth debating. I'm sure you're smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong and what ethics are. You're trying to justify it on a flimsy argument
I'm not breaching any contractual agreement by unlocking an iPhone how is that unethical? It's astonishing the logical leaps some people will go to to support their fanboyism.

Jedda
25th August 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not breaching any contractual agreement by unlocking an iPhone how is that unethical? It's astonishing the logical leaps some people will go to to support their fanboyism.

I guess the obvious point to make is that finding a product's margin structure "reprehensible", buying it, and then calling people with a better moral sense 'fanboys' is probably a little backwards.

ozbimmer
25th August 2007, 04:46 PM
mechcon: call in/out is fine.

mechcon
25th August 2007, 04:48 PM
well im impressed if that it accepts phonecalls as well.. wait, why should i be impressed? I'd be more impressed if it was in australia! :P

applecollector
25th August 2007, 04:52 PM
ok so who has cracked their iphone with what and what was the out come?
In & out calls? sms? what provider are you with and what plan?

forgie
25th August 2007, 05:22 PM
I never said anything about monopolising, nor that they are a market leader. They've created an aspirational product that is highly desired and allows them to play network providers off against each other to gain ludicrously profitable contracts.

Getting back to the point. Let's remember when you buy the phone, you buy just the phone and the contract of sale is complete. You don't sign a contract or any form of agreement to sign up to the provider Apple has partnered with.
It's funny how you didn't respond to the other part of my post. :)

Since you have no idea of the actual economics of the iPhone, how can you possibly say what is and isn't reprehensible? At the end of the day, that's what matters - if it were the case that Apple would lose money if every iPhone user unlocked it and then used it with other networks, would you still claim that it was ok?

marc
25th August 2007, 05:28 PM
Apple's average margins are between 27-37%: http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/businessweek_taking_the_iphone_apart

I'm not sure hacking your iPhone will make much difference to Apple either way. The extra sales will probably balance out the lost revenue from AT&T.

Edit: spel

forgie
25th August 2007, 05:31 PM
Apple's average margins are between 27-37%: http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/businessweek_taking_the_iphone_apart

I'm not sure hacking you iPhone will make much difference to Apple either way. The extra sales will probably balance out the lost revenue from AT&T.
As you say, in the end, it really doesn't make a difference at all - but if (as some people seem to be doing) you want to get all ethically high and mighty about it, then you should at least appreciate the actual economics, instead of over-simplifying.

Exocet
25th August 2007, 06:08 PM
I wonder if you can get on the hiptop plan for 24 months, without purchasing the handset. Then put the SIM card in a iPhone....
It won't work, the unlimited data only covers data on the hiptop. Same goes for Blackberries, Hiptops and Blackberries use specialised GPRS access points, only accessible by those devices. Ordinary phones access the internet via, say, telstra.wap as opposed to telstra.hiptop or telstra.blackberry. The unlimited data only covers the data on those access points, not all of them.

find_jackass
25th August 2007, 07:35 PM
i've got one here. and im happy to use it just as a wifi at home , work already.
using the telstra EDGE is not really that important to me.

cant wait till my gf overseas gets one and try skpe phone through iphone for free internationl chat. that really appeals to me then. ichat video will be great.

i got mine from AUS ebay. altho its roughly $50 to $100 dearer than international users. but its good to save us from all those overseas hassles. and just might get caught for import duty.

oh yeah..anyone hv to pay for import duty so far ? for 2 iphones ? cos the price is sure to exceed $1000 AUD . and its hard to fake it to customs cos most likely ppl know how much they are ?!
:confused:

peteryan7hao
25th August 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't wanna say anything, cos apparently people don't like me.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8965/picture1sm5.pnghttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5786/photo4qq5.jpg

peteryan7hao
25th August 2007, 08:11 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8086/picture2sm0.png

applecollector
25th August 2007, 08:17 PM
so what network are you guys on?
and how did you crack it? with what method?
I'm asking so many questions as i'll be buying on withn the next month or so.

nicwithsticks
25th August 2007, 08:39 PM
I don't wanna say anything, cos apparently people don't like me.

You're excited about your iPhone, it's understandable. I don't not like you for that reason, I don't like you because you have an iPhone and I don't. Joking :)

Well done on getting an activated iPhone, which network is it on?

Jazarus
26th August 2007, 12:49 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/know-your-rights-is-it-illegal-to-unlock-my-iphone/

According to that lawyer it's not illegal as long as you're only doing it for your own personal use or even selling them on ebay is not illegal.

It's your iPhone after all and you can do whatever you want to it, but you've pretty much voided your warranty/applecare etc :D

rosedale79
26th August 2007, 03:21 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6963696.stm

dotnet
26th August 2007, 03:53 AM
so.. you can't recieve calls on it?

Pfft! The last thing you want is incoming calls interrupting you while playing with the iPhone... ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

walexx
26th August 2007, 07:05 AM
Hmmmmm, interesting bits of news of possible legal action from AT&T http://blog.iphoneunlocking.com/

Im not suprised that they would do this. I guess once and for all the whole legality of all of this will start to surface, and we will know for sure what the stand is on this.

I hope the software doesnt go underground. This is only 1 of 2 software unlocking solutions that is due out. I wonder if the other guys have also been hit by this ?.

applecollector
26th August 2007, 09:02 AM
I hope this somehow comes out as i want an iphone!

Shere Khaan
26th August 2007, 09:51 AM
It won't work, the unlimited data only covers data on the hiptop. Same goes for Blackberries, Hiptops and Blackberries use specialised GPRS access points, only accessible by those devices. Ordinary phones access the internet via, say, telstra.wap as opposed to telstra.hiptop or telstra.blackberry. The unlimited data only covers the data on those access points, not all of them.

I was lead to believe different by a friend. just after the released the hiptop plan he saw it up on a store poster and the terms and condiditions stated it could be used on any 2.5G compliant phone. He got the plan added to a new phone that he bought that was not a hiptop and it works fine.

I also tried this but in between that time and the time I got mine they changed their system so only sim with a attached hiptop IMEI could be given this plan.

I just checked with him and he is still happily using unlimited data n his current non hiptop phone.

lavo
26th August 2007, 10:13 AM
I'm betting this software will end up on the web for free. It will get leaked, and like the HD-DVD code, will spread like wildfire.

To be honest, did anyone actually think they would get away with this before AT&T or Apple legal contacted thses guys?

Jazarus
26th August 2007, 10:36 AM
seems like AT&T is letting loose the hounds of war (lawyers) to slow down or totally prevent (good luck) the release of the unlocking software -->

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/25/uniquephoness-iphone-unlock-release-slowed-by-atandt-lawyers/

Steeley
26th August 2007, 12:17 PM
I'm in two frames of mind here. Part of me hopes it gets released, yet part of me hopes it doesn't because I just bought a windows mobile PDA solely because the iPhone wasn't going to be released until 2008 here.

Edge
26th August 2007, 01:26 PM
I also tried this but in between that time and the time I got mine they changed their system so only sim with a attached hiptop IMEI could be given this plan.
This occurred to me too, but you would need to spoof the IMEI number of the iPhone to Telstra somehow. Not only would I have no idea how to achieve that (whether with a SuperSIM, Turbo SIM or any other method) it would not only be against the terms of your contract, but I'm guessing would be illiegal in the same way the SuperSIM method is.

Anyway, the call rates on the HipTop plan are not counted under any cap or plan, so you're screwed by Telstra either way.