PDA

View Full Version : iChat mods/addons/hacks/etc

mechcon
24th August 2007, 10:32 PM
So... I lately went through a bit of a revolution.. got most of my friends to move to googletalk from msn, and I decided to move to iChat instead of adium for a bit to see how it pans out.. So far I'm loving it! even got Chax 1.4.9 which adds a fair bit of stuff like tabbed browsing of chat windows/whatnot.

I was wondering if you folks have seen any other utilities/hacks/mods you've seen for iChat that'd be worth delving into? like conference chats if they're using say googletalk for windows, or adium? Anyone had any luck at all to have a chatting conference (not video/audio) that is.

rickyd
24th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Is it possible to get msn working on iChat??

mechcon
24th August 2007, 10:57 PM
Only with Jabber transporting. I noticed that 10.5's iChat will have Googletalk as an option for a protocol (which already works in the current iChat anyway) :P

I dont know... would you want to use msn? it's really bad :\

mechcon
24th August 2007, 10:59 PM
Chax will auto reconnect!
http://www.ksuther.com/chax/

And it's freeeeeeeeeeeee :D

The Fluffy Duck
24th August 2007, 11:47 PM
well i dont think anybody wants to use msn but everybody else uses it. Alll those year 8 girls love their winks and nudges so we have to suffer :(

dev_enter
25th August 2007, 12:56 AM
I have an iChat hack which I haven't released, but it was inspired by Chax.

Ever since I first discovered you could connect to iChat using an ICQ number, I'd always wanted to use it as my ICQ client, but still couldn't because it would send html encoded messages. I thought there must be a way to get around this, but I could never quite work it out.

Once I discovered that Chax had the option of stripping out the HTML, I set myself the task to do it myself. And so I have a hack which does that and only that. I've been happily using it on both my own and my wife's iChat clients for the last 8 months or so without any major issues.

Not much help if you have and like Chax though. :)

mechcon
25th August 2007, 08:30 AM
Actually, I saw a while back that there was a mod made or a skin where it combines all the jabber, aim, and bonjour windows into one contact list (seperated by labels) wait.. just realised it could have been adium with an ichat icon :\ ah never mind :P

iPirate
25th August 2007, 11:36 AM
I use iChat for my MSN needs (and use Adium as a backup in case the jabber transport goes down which mine does once every few months) and all I have to deal with is remembering what certain emoticons mean (so I have a clue what my friends are saying).

If only Microsoft didn't stick to such an exclusive IM standard. Jabber is much better, being open-source, anyone can set up a server, and the multitude of Jabber Clients (including iChat and to a degree Google Talk) don't tie you to any particular platform.

Oh wait... maybe that's why Microsoft sticks to MSN.

Oh well. I just try to convert people to Google Talk and Apple. I've converted 3 Windows-lovers this year already (I should work for Apple so I actually get something out of it) and they're starting to convert their friends.

mechcon
25th August 2007, 11:52 AM
I've managed to get around 20 or so of my mates to use gtalk/jabber. its great! now this transporting bizzo that i keep hearing about.. is there a site you can recommend? as there's heaps of different ones with different methods!