PDA

View Full Version : Preview will not let me delete

Rodney9
24th August 2007, 07:07 PM
Preview will not let me delete photos , how do I delete.

iSlayer
24th August 2007, 07:08 PM
You can't delete images from preview.app

Rodney9
24th August 2007, 07:22 PM
I just spend $99 on iLife, I can not afford more, surely there is some way to preview photos at full size and delete them in Tiger, but I can't find a way without spending more.

ClockWork
24th August 2007, 07:24 PM
Preview will not let me delete photos , how do I delete.

Can you explain the scenario a little clearer - ie: are you double-clicking photos in iPhoto to wit, they open in Preview - or - are you opening many photos at once and Preview shows you a list of them going down the right side ?

cw

ClockWork
24th August 2007, 07:31 PM
ah - so you are opening photos in iPhoto, by double-clicking on them, and then Preview opens them in full screen, yes?

If this is the case, Quit Preview, and delete them from iPhoto's Library simply by clicking on the photo (in iPhoto) that you don't want, to highlight it, and pressing the delete key on your keyboard once.

The photo will vanish.

You can also enlarge and reduce what you see in iPhoto by dragging the Photo Size Slider from left to right, at the very bottom-right of your iPhoto window.

It doesn't present Full Size, yet it's large enough to see if one likes it or not.

cheers,

cw

soulman
24th August 2007, 07:36 PM
I just spend $99 on iLife, I can not afford more, surely there is some way to preview photos at full size and delete them in Tiger, but I can't find a way without spending more.You can delete them from within iPhoto. If you're viewing them first in Preview before you import them into iPhoto then, no, Preview is an image viewer not a file manager. You need to close the image and then delete it using Finder. No extra purchase required. :)

Rodney9
24th August 2007, 07:40 PM
No i am not using iphoto as it wants to import them first and I have 11 gb of photos for 7 gb of space. That is why I want some simple way to preview/delete before I import.

see - http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=35777

ClockWork
24th August 2007, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, the only means of getting around your limited space problem is to either go looking for files you don't want or need and Trashing them, or Burning your much loved files to either CD-R or DVD-R (and then Trashing them off your HD) - or connecting an external USB or FireWire Drive to your Mac Mini - so that you can copy "stuff" from your over-filled Mac Mini, onto an External Drive (a back up Drive) - and then Trash them from off your Mini.

AddIt: Notes you have posted this problem twice... a curious habit you seem to have had in the past.

I sell External Drives. The very cheapest I have in stock is a $25.00 USB 2.0 New Motion Drive, able to hold 20GB.

PM if interested.

cheers,

cw

Rodney9
24th August 2007, 07:50 PM
I did a HUGE clean-out to fit iLife, there must be a way.
Can I make finder show them larger than 128x128 ?

soulman
24th August 2007, 07:51 PM
No i am not using iphoto as it wants to import them first and I have 11 gb of photos for 7 gb of space. That is why I want some simple way before I import.In the Finder, hit Command+Option+I - that's an i. This is "Show Inspector" which has a reasonably good thumbnail preview. Unlike "Get Info" it changes when you select a different file. I use this for quick previewing. You could also change the folder where the images are to icon view, crank up the icon size to 128 X 128 then just select & delete the ones you don't want. That's if the images have custom icons anyway...

And no, 128 is as big as icons get. Why can't you use both? Just open the ones you're not sure about in Preview.

What about the software that came with your camera? Canon includes software for previewing images. I assume other manufacturers do also. Even Toast comes with an image viewer I think. Try VersionTracker or something like that if you really want an app to do it. I have something here called CocoaViewX (http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/) that is a freeware image viewer. Try that maybe.

Rodney9
24th August 2007, 07:57 PM
Is there a way to make iPhoto import without coping, just move, so I don't double the space used.

Finder, hit Command+Option+I is still very small and would be very tedious to do 3000 times.

ClockWork
24th August 2007, 07:59 PM
You need some kind of External HD (Hard Drive) - just as I do - as for certain things, there simply is no more space.

:: nods ::

(offer of $25 New Motion Drive stands)

cw

soulman
24th August 2007, 08:12 PM
Is there a way to make iPhoto import without coping, just move, so I don't double the space used.No but why don't you do it folder by folder (or whatever) and delete the originals as you go.

Finder, hit Command+Option+I is still very small and would be very tedious to do 3000 times.Dude, if you had tried it you would realise you only have to do it once - it tracks the selected item(s).

Anyway, you've had plenty of good suggestions. Maybe you need to work it out for yourself. :)

Rodney9
24th August 2007, 08:16 PM
Thank-you Soulman and ClockWork, Tiger sure is not easy.

decryption
24th August 2007, 08:21 PM
Try CocoViewX: http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/
There are heaps of image viewing apps, take a look around VersionTracker or MacUpdate :)

iPirate
24th August 2007, 09:54 PM
I found in Preview if I had the drawer open and the current photo highlighted in blue in that drawer, then if I pressed Command-Delete then that photo would go "poof" and vanish from the drawer to appear in the trash.

Rodney9
25th August 2007, 08:14 AM
I found in Preview if I had the drawer open and the current photo highlighted in blue in that drawer, then if I pressed Command-Delete then that photo would go "poof" and vanish from the drawer to appear in the trash.

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou.

ClockWork
25th August 2007, 11:48 AM
Nice one iPirate!

Another hidden function / ghost in the machine. :)

forgie
25th August 2007, 12:14 PM
Nice one iPirate!

Another hidden function / ghost in the machine. :)
Good find! Cmd-Delete deletes things in several contexts on a mac... I'll have to see what other apps it works in now! :thumbup: