PDA

View Full Version : Fax Software for OS X

thebag
5th February 2005, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for a cheap shareware or freeware fax program for OS X.

It doesn't have to be terribly flash as it is only for the rare occaisons I need to send a fax.

OS 9 used to come with Faxstf but I don't really want to pay $89.95US for Faxstf Pro for OSX.

I hope someone can help me

Regards

Mark

Exocet
5th February 2005, 11:31 AM
I thought faxing was built into OSX? Or is that just recieving :|

MacNut
5th February 2005, 12:19 PM
Faxing and sending. It's fairly basic but it works perfectly well.

hawker
5th February 2005, 01:03 PM
which ever program you are in, go Print, and then in the print box go down to "fax" and hey presto, type in the phone number, add a cover sheet, easy as that!

feeze
5th February 2005, 01:53 PM
And to receive faxes goto to System Preferences->Print and Fax, easy as that!

hawker
5th February 2005, 02:01 PM
I love how you can either select that it goes to a Fax folder, or e-mail it to someone. Good and useful idea ;)

thebag
6th February 2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, but does this information depend on the version of OSX because I can not find any of what you have suggested in OSX 10.2.8

The software was preinstalled on the computer when I bought it, maybe faxing capabiltities were left off. When I do a search and ask about faxing in the help centre I get little or no information of relevance.

Regards

Mark

hawker
6th February 2005, 10:17 AM
Hmm I understand it has only been recent. Perhaps upgrade to Panther or do a quick serach in:

http://www.versiontracker.com

kit
6th February 2005, 01:07 PM
Just had a quick look at my iMac (on 10.2.8); nope, Faxing was obviously introduced in Panther. Keep in mind that if you're going to end up spending money on a Fax program, save your money and get Panther (or Tiger sometime in the first half of this year), and get that functionality free.

I second Hawker; check out VersionTracker, and www.macupdate.com too.

Currawong
6th February 2005, 05:43 PM
There is a cheap shareware program that used to be called Cocoa eFax or something like that for 10.2 that gives you print->fax functionality.

Marcus_Tas
3rd July 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm using 10.5.2 can i receive a fax directly to my iMac and then onto my printer without any special software? Likewise, can I scan a document or select a word file or spreadsheet and fax it to someone?

Please explain!

stewiesno1
3rd July 2008, 01:56 PM
thebag , you can send faxes in Jaguar.
1) Open up your document.
2) Click on print-> dialogue box opens
3) Go to printer -> Select pagesender
4) Fill out the fields and press print.

Stewie

Edit: It does take a bit of trial and error once you have set up your modem and Pagesender but I have sent faxes this way a few times. I normally just send a Fax via my Answermachine/Fax.

titan44
3rd July 2008, 02:03 PM
There is a cheap shareware program that used to be called Cocoa eFax or something like that for 10.2 that gives you print->fax functionality.

Yup i was playing with this the other day, not too bad. From what i could find it hasn't been updated for bit, still works well in 10.5

Mutters
3rd July 2008, 02:03 PM
Ah Stewiesno1, just take note of the original date of these posts

it's been resurrected somewhat:D

mutters

stewiesno1
3rd July 2008, 02:13 PM
Oh for Christs sake ! Ha . Well picked up Mutters. Guess who didn't check the post date then ! Doh!!!

Stewie

Edit : I think Marcus should have started a new thread about Faxing in LEOPARD .

The Goat
3rd July 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm using 10.5.2 can i receive a fax directly to my iMac and then onto my printer without any special software? Likewise, can I scan a document or select a word file or spreadsheet and fax it to someone?

Please explain!

I think that's possible - not sure how. I just wanted to say that's an outstanding Avatar..! :thumbup:

Currawong
3rd July 2008, 02:31 PM
Stewie, this is a thread from 2005!

Marcus: What kind of iMac is it? Does it have a built-in modem?

Marcus_Tas
3rd July 2008, 03:13 PM
2.4GHz Intel - No internal modem - for some reason I thought it had one.

I'll just buy a multi-function space-waster instead.

:mad:

astr0b0y
3rd July 2008, 03:15 PM
Faxing is dead.

Marcus_Tas
3rd July 2008, 03:17 PM
No way man its coming back and will be cool again, just like Devo.

thebag
4th July 2008, 08:18 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the prompt responses:D

Especially the last couple.

I did actually manage to solve this problem all it took was a system upgrade.:D

g5agogo
4th July 2008, 08:36 AM
To Marcus (not to thebag...as I'm not sure I was even born when this thread was started ;))

check out utbox.net as an alternative

I use it and it's much better than having a spare line or an underutilized and space hogging MF printer/fax.

cheers.

stefanlod
4th July 2008, 10:28 AM
Brother multifunctions are able to send faxes via the print dialogue in OS X, which I've used on a couple of occasions.