PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto update - thumbs down

pipsqeek
23rd March 2004, 07:16 PM
I have attempted to update three different machines all running one version or another of OS X 10.3.x and each time the update has finished my iPhoto icon in the Dock has gone from its usual icon, to the Apple .app icon, the page with the "A" character formed out of a ruler, pencil and pen.

And it fails to open. I reinstalled the previous version and its okay again. Tried to update one more time to eliminate error, the same thing.

Anyone else whos installed the update had this problem yet?

this is the first time I have experienced a problem with any update from apple...even the dreaded 10.2.8 update was okay on my machine.

Steve

Velociraptors
23rd March 2004, 09:13 PM
I just updated mine, and had exactly the same problem. It appears the package contents in /Applications/iPhoto.app/contents had messed up permissions. For some reason the "plugins" and "resources" folders in there had borked permissions

PlugIns and Resources were both set for read/write access only as root, with no other users having access. I peeked in the older iPhoto and used the same permissions as it had, which seems to have worked - making both of those folders and all their contents owned by root/admin, and permissions set to rwxrwxr-x (or 775 ).

If you need a run through of the terminal guff to get that done I'll post that for a fix. My iPhoto is up and running now :)

(of course, running Repair Permissions from Disk Utility may also have worked, but thats something I've not used before, and only thought of afterwards. There's the linuxhead in me coming out =)

dana

pipsqeek
23rd March 2004, 09:37 PM
Could you please post the fix as I think it would help many people, not just me.

I am not too proficient in Terminal, so I hope my queries are dealt with some patients.

Thanks
Steve

Velociraptors
23rd March 2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 23 2004, 09:37 PM
Could you please post the fix as I think it would help many people, not just me.

I am not too proficient in Terminal, so I hope my queries are dealt with some patients.

Thanks
Steve

no problems :)

first off update iPhoto to the non-working 4.01 version you're having problems with, then open terminal

Now type:

cd /applications/iphoto.app/contents

which will put you inside the iphoto package. Next type the following - note that it's a capital R, which is for Recursive - it'll change both the permissions on the directory 'PlugIns' and its contents as well.

sudo chmod -R 775 plugins

(it'll ask you for your admin password - type that then hit enter). the PlugIns folder should then be readable when iPhoto executes.

Next up, type:

sudo chmod -R 775 resources

It probably won't ask you for your password the 2nd time, but if it does just provide it again. This one does the same thing to the Resources folder and its contents.

I mentioned above that the owner/group of the files within the resources folder wasn't set the same as the older iPhoto, but with the permissions those files have now, it shouldn't make any difference - so those 3 lines should be all you need to type!. Now try opening iPhoto

hope it works!
dana

pipsqeek
24th March 2004, 06:51 AM
Thank you for the instruction on fixing iPhoto.

I am stuck though, at a rather stupid part. the beginning.

When I open Terminal, I have the "Welcome to Darwin" etc...and the directory is my home directory.

I did mention I am not too familiar with Terminal, I try to use it as much as I can to learn about it. I do use it to compile and run my java applets for TAFE.

How to I change from the Home dir to root, I assume.

I thought it would be something like "cd\", which gives me a blank command line until i type anything in it and get an error saying that there is no such directory.

Steve

Velociraptors
24th March 2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 24 2004, 06:51 AM
When I open Terminal, I have the "Welcome to Darwin" etc...and the Directory is my home directory.

I did mention I am not too familiar with Terminal, I try to use it as much as I can to learn about it. I do use it to compile and run my java applets for TAFE.

How to I change from the Home dir to root, I assume.

I thought it would be something like "cd\", which gives me a blank command line until i type anything in it and get an error saying that there is no such directory.

Being stuck is no problem - best ask each time you find a spot you're not sure about :D

If you needed to go to the root of the filesystem, you were close. You'd type "cd /" where the / (forwardslash) is the top of the filesystem, whereas the \ (backslash) allows a command to carry over multiple lines - that's why when you hit enter after typing "cd\" it showed nothing - because it was waiting for more typing as part of the same command.

In any case, just to be clear, the root of the filesystem ISN'T where you need to be - it's down in the iPhoto package itself - just entering the entire line below:

cd /applications/iphoto.app/contents

will take you to where you need to be to execute the other commands. Make sure your prompt shows that you're in the /applications/iphoto.app/contents folder before running them!.

sudo chmod -R 775 plugins

and

sudo chmod -R 775 resources

dana

pipsqeek
24th March 2004, 08:08 AM
It worked!!!

Thanks for that. The only annoying thing is that the icon in the Dock is still that generic application icon rather then the iPhoto icon. I dumped the dock icon and put in a new one from the apps directory, which the icon happens to be ok.

But it goes in to the Dock and becomes the same icon as before.

Any fix to this?

Steve

Velociraptors
24th March 2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 24 2004, 08:08 AM
It worked!!!

Thanks for that. The only annoying thing is that the icon in the Dock is still that generic application icon rather then the iPhoto icon. I dumped the dock icon and put in a new one from the apps directory, which the icon happens to be ok.

But it goes in to the Dock and becomes the same icon as before.

Any fix to this?

Steve
Excellent!

I did the icon back in the dock thing, which worked OK for me... but then I popped it back in the dock a good half hour after I removed it. At a guess maybe it's being cached somewhere. I'd try removing it from the dock, then logging out and back in again to see if reinserting it in the dock works then.

glad it runs now! =)

dana

pipsqeek
24th March 2004, 11:17 AM
I'll give that a go, I have not restarted yet, so it might all be fixed. The iBook never gets restarted unless it absolutely unavoidable. Like updating 10.3.2 to 3.3.

Current uptime is 5 days 23 hours 42 mins 37 sec. as of 12:12pm

before then was 25 days, before then was 47days.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

pipsqeek
25th March 2004, 06:59 AM
I restarted and the iPhoto icon in the Dock has gone back to normal once I clicked on it to start iPhoto.

All is well now. Thanks again.

Steve

jameso
26th March 2004, 12:52 PM
its so touching to see the community at work like this

_insert cheesy smile_

jameso