PDA

View Full Version : iStat menus 1.1 beta

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 03:52 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/marcedwards/forumbits/ism_11_preview.png

As with all versions use at your own risk. We especially don't recommend using betas on mission critical systems.
This beta is exclusive to MacTalk users. Please do not share the link outside MacTalk.

Features to test:

CPU Extra
New option to show usage breakdowns in graphs.
Custom graph colors.

Memory Extra
New option to show usage breakdowns in graphs.
Custom graph colors.
Option to choose if Inactive memory is shown as free.

Network Extra
Graph modes & options.

Date & Time Extra
Option to show monday as first day of week in cal.
Option to show week numbers in cal.
Re-ordering clocks in the pref pane.
Option to use 24 hour time in clocks section.
Option to show AM/PM in clocks section.

Temps Extra
Option to show temps for S.M.A.R.T devices.

Get it now (http://islayer.com/download.php?id=1002&type=4)

marc
23rd August 2007, 06:14 PM
So... the install went ok for everyone and there's no bugs to be seen?

Rasta
23rd August 2007, 06:20 PM
Install went ok..

But every time I deselect the temp meter to be in the menu bar, all the menus disappear for a second and the temp menu is still there... can't get rid of it...

(on a Powermac Dual G4)

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 06:31 PM
Install went ok..

But every time I deselect the temp meter to be in the menu bar, all the menus disappear for a second and the temp menu is still there... can't get rid of it...

(on a Powermac Dual G4)

Sounds like a crash. Can you send the crash log (~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SystemUIServer.crash.log) to supportteam@islayer.com

Rasta
23rd August 2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a crash. Can you send the crash log (~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SystemUIServer.crash.log) to supportteam@islayer.com

Done....

applecollector
23rd August 2007, 06:44 PM
works fantastic on a Macbook Dual Core 1.83Ghz

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 06:45 PM
Done....

Thanks. I cant take credit for that crash though. Looks like its a bug in the system.
Ill have a play and see if i can replicate it anyway.

Galumay
23rd August 2007, 07:01 PM
great work guys! might finally be able to get rid of menu meters if your network graphs do the trick - installing on my 'pooters now.

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 07:07 PM
great work guys! might finally be able to get rid of menu meters if your network graphs do the trick - installing on my 'pooters now.

If they dont do everything you want let me know and ill make sure its fixed :)

Galumay
23rd August 2007, 07:10 PM
already up and running onthe MBP and PB - everything looks good, network graphs are better than menu meters, exactly what i wanted too!! thanks again.

havent got to the mac mini yet, i have to kick my son off the TV to get to it!!

ric3am
23rd August 2007, 07:18 PM
Just instaled on my 1.6 G5 everything OK , looks great

got rid of Menu Meters

Galumay
23rd August 2007, 07:27 PM
guys, could we have an option to have text & graph with network meters please!? this is pretty important to me and would actually stop me from removing menu meters.

a nice to have would be the ability to select colours for the upload/download graphs.

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 07:32 PM
guys, could we have an option to have text & graph with network meters please!? this is pretty important to me and would actually stop me from removing menu meters.

Can do.

a nice to have would be the ability to select colours for the upload/download graphs.

Yep no probs.Ill get it added for the release version

The Architect.mac
23rd August 2007, 07:44 PM
top shelf...

typo clocks - calendar - used monday as the first day of the week...

the clocks are great... and the 'open isync' is a great feature...

cheers

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 07:45 PM
typo clocks - calendar - used monday as the first day of the week...

Cheers.

Forgot to mention there are lots of new 10.5 only features. Im sure you can all find them if you are running 10.5 ;)

iSlayer
24th August 2007, 12:03 AM
guys, could we have an option to have text & graph with network meters please!?

Here you go

http://islayer.com/junk/networkdualmode.png

New beta will be available later today

iMic
24th August 2007, 02:41 AM
S.M.A.R.T sensor monitoring is very useful on this machine. Works great.

(HD running 26C after about 10 hours running, for the record.)

glgray
24th August 2007, 05:15 AM
Gorgeous! Very well done and no problems so far.

One request, in the Network prefs, I would like to be able to customize the color of the upload and download speed graphs as well as the color of the text. Since I am not showing the text now, it would be nice to be able to match their colors. It would also be nice if I could show both the text and the graph.

Galumay
24th August 2007, 06:18 AM
Here you go

LOL! its starting to feel like personally designed software iSlayer!! i can't believe how quickly you guys respond to user wishlists.

i will make another donation to the cause in thanks for the continued efforts to improve an already terrific product.

chrism238
24th August 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the great work guys; working well on my 10.4.10 Mac Mini 1.66.
For the next release, I'd love colour choice for text of the menubar clock,
and forward and backwards arrows on the calendar to shift between months (like the standard calendar widget).

Looks like wClock is almost gone from my system....

iSlayer
24th August 2007, 08:43 AM
For the next release, I'd love colour choice for text of the menubar clock

Not sure we will get that in 1.1 now but 1.2 definitely.

and forward and backwards arrows on the calendar to shift between months (like the standard calendar widget).

Rumor is that is one of the special 10.5 only features ;)

Tiprya
24th August 2007, 08:50 AM
Have we got the wagon wheel memory display like in activity monitor in this version?

iSlayer
24th August 2007, 08:51 AM
Have we got the wagon wheel memory display like in activity monitor in this version?

Nope. That is scheduled for 1.2

sunrisesister
24th August 2007, 09:33 AM
Fantastic, guys :) Working a treat on my MBP!

boyhobbit
24th August 2007, 09:47 AM
Wow! I thought it looked tight in V1.0 but v1.1 is even better! Well done!

Small Glitch though... I can't turn the Temperature's Off.

I can uncheck the box then the whole menu bar disappears and comes back about 1 second later with the temps still there.

Otherwise, awesome!

iSlayer
24th August 2007, 09:53 AM
I can uncheck the box then the whole menu bar disappears and comes back about 1 second later with the temps still there.

Ok. Didnt think that was an issue with iStat menus but maybe it is.
Can you send the crash log (~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SystemUIServer.crash.log) to supportteam@islayer.com

Tiprya
24th August 2007, 12:43 PM
Just downloaded it - Its good, and seems to be working well so far, but a couple of questions

-Is there a reason the bluetooth icon is different to the normal apple one? I would use it if it wasn't

-There should be a way of changing the colour of the calendar, like the other options
I liked the dark grey of 1.0

Overall, its a great app, keep up the good work

marc
24th August 2007, 12:51 PM
-Is there a reason the bluetooth icon is different to the normal apple one? I would use it if it wasn't
That was done to avoid confusion. Not sure it was the right choice, but it's a choice... ours is also a vector and therefore ready for resolution independence.

-There should be a way of changing the colour of the calendar, like the other options
I liked the dark grey of 1.0
I'm surprised that you prefer the old cal. We might add ways to customise it in the future,

glgray
24th August 2007, 01:00 PM
Here you go

Where will the new beta be posted or will it be available via an update mechanism within iStat menus?

iSlayer
24th August 2007, 01:08 PM
Where will the new beta be posted or will it be available via an update mechanism within iStat menus?

We will post in this thread when its available

Tiprya
24th August 2007, 01:51 PM
I'm surprised that you prefer the old cal. We might add ways to customise it in the future,

I guess i'm probably just used to it

Thanks for the replys guys, all makes sense

iSlayer
25th August 2007, 08:55 PM
New beta is up with options to use custom network graph colors, option to show both text and graph modes for the network section and a fix for the temperature extra crash when removing it.

Galumay
25th August 2007, 09:10 PM
thanks once again, loading now!

ok iSlayer, looks awesome. menu meters trashed!!

one thing i noticed, not sure what the '3' option is - maybe a leftover!! doesnt seem to do anything.

istat.jpg (http://homepage.mac.com/galumay/.Public/istat.jpg)

EDIT - another donation made, keep up the good work!

iSlayer
25th August 2007, 09:28 PM
one thing i noticed, not sure what the '3' option is - maybe a leftover!! doesnt seem to do anything.

Just a leftover from the old mode setup there when the graph options were all in there.should disappear next time you open sys prefs i reckon.

EDIT - another donation made, keep up the good work!

Much appreciated :)

Galumay
25th August 2007, 09:36 PM
Just a leftover from the old mode setup there when the graph options were all in there.should disappear next time you open sys prefs i reckon.

gone!

iSlayer
26th August 2007, 10:26 AM
New beta working ok for everyone ?. Did it fix the issues with the temps extra ?

Rasta
26th August 2007, 10:28 AM
New beta is up with options to use custom network graph colors, option to show both text and graph modes for the network section and a fix for the temperature extra crash when removing it.

Yep.. temp issue resolved in this beta.. thanks!

bullrout
26th August 2007, 10:34 AM
Works fine for me.

chrism238
26th August 2007, 10:41 AM
New beta working ok for everyone ?. Did it fix the issues with the temps extra ?When setting the Date & Time general preferences, only the top 2 checkboxes are active. The bottom 3 are greyed out (though 2 are selected, for me).

iSlayer
26th August 2007, 10:44 AM
When setting the Date& Time general preferences, only the top 2 checkboxes are active. The bottom 3 are greyed out (though 2 are selected, for me).

Will fix that today and put a new beta up tonight

glgray
27th August 2007, 01:09 PM
New beta working ok for everyone ?. Did it fix the issues with the temps extra ?

It has been working very nicely, though I just clicked on the CPU menu and saw the following strange thing:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/misc/iStat-Menus-CPU-bug.png

This is the first time I have seen this. Parts of the menu are transparent. This is on a MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz) running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Let me know if you need additional info.

iSlayer
27th August 2007, 02:37 PM
It has been working very nicely, though I just clicked on the CPU menu and saw the following strange thing

I've seen that before a few times. Not sure what exactly is causing it but im going to add a fix(i hope) in the next release.

Sambo
27th August 2007, 03:51 PM
Argh, how did I miss this, it's been there for 3 days. Someone punch me.

EDIT - Now I have evaluated this, it's hard to see how it can get any better, but I know it will somehow. I was happy with the last version, but amazingly this has some very useful changes even if some of them are just visual.

Sambo
27th August 2007, 11:53 PM
Hey, just using iStat menus a second ago and I hovered over the CPU graph section and it looks like this...

EDIT - oh and is there going to be an option to show a large graph similar to memory and cpu sections?

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3656/picture1pm1.png

iSlayer
28th August 2007, 08:11 AM
oh and is there going to be an option to show a large graph similar to memory and cpu sections?

Do you mean for the network extra ?. And do you mean in the graph like cpu/mem in the menubar or just bigger graphs in the dropdown ?

glgray
28th August 2007, 08:54 AM

I found another cosmetic issue today. When I am in my office, the connection is wicked fast and I saw the following:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/misc/iStat_menu_network_too_narrow.png

Notice that I am sending data at 11.21 MB/s but the field is too narrow to show the first "1" on the "11".

This is using iStat menus 1.1a (980) on Mac OS X 10.4.10.

iSlayer
28th August 2007, 09:02 AM
Notice that I am sending data at 11.21 MB/s but the field is too narrow to show the first "1" on the "11".

Ok no prob. WIll get that fixed for the final release of 1.1

Sambo
28th August 2007, 11:48 AM
Do you mean for the network extra ?. And do you mean in the graph like cpu/mem in the menubar or just bigger graphs in the dropdown ?

Bigger graphs in the dropdown.

iSlayer
28th August 2007, 11:51 AM
Bigger graphs in the dropdown.

Eventually yes. Not in 1.1 though

marc
29th August 2007, 09:32 AM
A quick update:

We've decided to improve the pref pane UI heaps... so another beta will be out in the next 24 hours.

From there the next release will be the public 1.1 release, probably. :)

The Architect.mac
29th August 2007, 04:16 PM
looking forward to it... haven't had any probs with the latest beta on ppc or intel hardware, except for the aforementioned typo and greyed out checkboxes in date/time...

marc
29th August 2007, 04:52 PM
Old beta sucks in comparison to the new one :)

It's going to need loads of testing though!

iSlayer
30th August 2007, 06:01 PM
Preview of the new pref pane layout for those who are interested.
Its very different. We have managed to get rid of all the tabs we were using so its much easier to use in the end.

http://islayer.com/junk/ismcpu.png

Galumay
30th August 2007, 06:39 PM
looks neat (of course!), you eager fans await patiently for the new beta!

iSlayer
30th August 2007, 10:16 PM
New beta is available. Includes a brand new pref pane layout which has been built from scratch so it needs lots of testing ;). Also has fixes for a few bugs.

Galumay
31st August 2007, 07:01 AM
once again, thanks guys for the great work.

downloading it now, will test on my various 'pooters and report back.

chrism238
31st August 2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks; I may have missed it in an earlier beta, but I like the "blurred" background to the scrolling network menubar graph (but is it only there for the download graph, and not for upload?).

Galumay
31st August 2007, 07:26 AM
islayer,

i may have found a problem! loaded it on my PB and now when i open my system preferences and click on the iStat menus pane it just opens to a blank pane?

all good on the MBP, have toggled most settings on the prefs pane and everything seems to work as expected.

EDIT - fixed the PB issue, did an uninstall on iStat menus and used spotlight to locate other files and deleted them, did a fresh install and all is well now. again all pref pane options seem to perform as expected.

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 07:33 AM
i may have found a problem! loaded it on my PB and now when i open my system preferences and click on the iStat menus pane it just opens to a blank pane?

can you open up console and see if there are any errors.

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 08:10 AM
EDIT - fixed the PB issue, did an uninstall on iStat menus and used spotlight to locate other files and deleted them, did a fresh install and all is well now. again all pref pane options seem to perform as expected.

Excellent. Could you check console anyway. We changed quite alot in the pref pane so it would be handy to know if there were any errors

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks; I may have missed it in an earlier beta, but I like the "blurred" background to the scrolling network menubar graph (but is it only there for the download graph, and not for upload?).

Im not exactly sure what you mean. Both parts of the graph should be identical

chrism238
31st August 2007, 08:52 AM
Im not exactly sure what you mean. Both parts of the graph should be identicalHere's a screendump:

http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~chris/menu.gif

Notice how the download (green) graph has a (great) green colour ramp in its background, but that the upload (red) does not.

marc
31st August 2007, 08:54 AM
Notice how the download (green) graph has a (great) green colour ramp in its background, but that the upload (red) does not.
Thanks, we'll check it out.

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 08:55 AM

Must be a bug because it isnt supposed to look like that :)
Will check it out.

chrism238
31st August 2007, 09:02 AM
Must be a bug because it isnt supposed to look like that :)
Will check it out.It's a great bug^H^H^H feature. I suggest that the upload graph should have the colour ramp too!

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 10:59 AM
New beta is up - Get it now (http://islayer.com/download.php?id=1002&type=4)

If you have problems with the pref pane after upgrading from last nights version just quit and re open sys prefs or reinstall it again. Shouldn't be any issues upgrading from earlier versions hopefully

Tiprya
31st August 2007, 11:47 AM
Hey, I don't have the latest beta, so not sure if its fixed yet...

But my date in the menu bar says the 31st but my calender in the menu for august doesn't have 31 days...

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 11:51 AM
But my date in the menu bar says the 31st but my calender in the menu for august doesn't have 31 days...

WIll get that fixed aswell :)

Galumay
31st August 2007, 12:24 PM
*sheeesh* i am gunna burn my download quota this month if you keep updating this often!! :D

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 12:28 PM
*sheeesh* i am gunna burn my download quota this month if you keep updating this often!! :D

Not many left now :). Will be another one later with a fix for that calendar issue and that will hopefully be it. All the big changes are all done now anyway. Just tiny little things left.

glgray
31st August 2007, 03:46 PM
I just downloaded the latest beta and I still don't show an August 31. See below:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/misc/iStatMenusCalendar.png

chrism238
31st August 2007, 03:55 PM
I just downloaded the latest beta and I still don't show an August 31.Well that's alright for you, but Perth's been moved to the Pacific - damn global warming!

Tiprya
31st August 2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that was the same problem I noted earlier

Galumay
31st August 2007, 05:04 PM
I just downloaded the latest beta and I still don't show an August 31. See below:

..and if you had read the posts a couple above yours!!

Not many left now :). Will be another one later with a fix for that calendar issue and that will hopefully be it. All the big changes are all done now anyway. Just tiny little things left.

Hamsmyth
31st August 2007, 05:11 PM
Great work guys love the app.

Ive got it all set up on my menu, but as you can see in the pic below, I'm having trouble removing the existing menu stats (the percentage readings next to spotlight). Does anyone know how to remove these? I think they were activated somewhere within the activity moniter utility. Any help?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/tom_west86/Menu.png

iSlayer
31st August 2007, 05:50 PM
G I'm having trouble removing the existing menu stats (the percentage readings next to spotlight). Does anyone know how to remove these? I think they were activated somewhere within the activity moniter utility. Any help?

Its part of CHUD tools i think. Do you have a preference pane called "Processor" in System Preferences ?
There is some compatibility issues with iStat menus in the CHUD menu extra. Check out this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=34694) for more info on that

marc
31st August 2007, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know how to remove these? I think they were activated somewhere within the activity moniter utility. Any help?
You should be able to command-drag them out of the menubar :)

marc
31st August 2007, 06:29 PM
So... anyone found any other bugs?

All ok?

glgray
31st August 2007, 11:52 PM
..and if you had read the posts a couple above yours!!

Oops. Sorry, it was very late when I posted. I really was trying to be helpful. :o

iSlayer
3rd September 2007, 11:11 AM
Final beta (hopefully) is up - Get it now (http://islayer.com/download.php?id=1002&type=4)

ric3am
3rd September 2007, 11:25 AM
islayer just had to conect by ethernet instead of wireless the network indicators on the menu bar are stuck on zero but when you look at the pull down menu it is working ??

is it me ??

iSlayer
3rd September 2007, 11:27 AM
islayer just had to conect by ethernet instead of wireless the network indicators on the menu bar are stuck on zero but when you look at the pull down menu it is working ??

is it me ??

Go into the network section of the pref pane and check what the "Primary" interface is set too. The menubar values only show the bandwidth for whatever is set as primary.

ric3am
3rd September 2007, 11:31 AM
Yes sorry it was set on primary switching to ethernet did the trick
thanks islayer

marc
3rd September 2007, 12:31 PM
Any other testers?

We're probably going to release in an hour or so, so any help appreciated!

iSlayer
3rd September 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks to all the testers. We are releasing the final version very soon so ill close this up.
If you find any issues you can contact us via our site or here once 1.1 is public