PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows IIS on MacBook?

richbowen
23rd August 2007, 03:20 PM
I am evaluating some software for a client, but have been told that the software needs the IIS component (that's iis which I think stands for Internet Information Server) to be on the computer for it to work properly. I've also been told that a standard WinXP system will have this IIS component.

Anyone know anything about IIS?
Any chance it is part of OS-X?
If I install WinXP via Parallels will it have IIS?

Thanks for any help.
RB

jeremy_warnock
23rd August 2007, 03:24 PM
its not part of os x. You will need to install xp then go to add remove programs and add windows components and install iis that way.

os x has apache, a better stronger REAL web server. IIS is just crap

richbowen
23rd August 2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks Jeremy, I'll include your IIS vs Apache observations in my report :D

So XP via Parallels should do it?

Nuts4Ever
23rd August 2007, 03:45 PM
To install XP btw on OS X macbook you will need either Bootcamp or Parallels. Boot camp is a dual boot to allow one to run Winblows natively on the Mac intel chip sets, Parallels runs on top of OS X itself. Either way remember that windows security sucks and you will still need to install security and virus software on any windows product. And be cautious not to allow the windows system access to any of the root level files on OS X, which normally wont happen unless your sloppy. That would be an internal local security breach. that could cause you night mares.

richbowen is correct in that apache is better than IIs, but if your friend is connecting to a IIs system written only to allow IIs clients in you can install the needed IIs components on the XP side if needed.

jeremy_warnock
23rd August 2007, 04:12 PM
richbowen, i have to support both iis and apache in my office and guess which web service never has an issue??

It aint the m$ one thats for sure

richbowen
23rd August 2007, 04:23 PM
OK, thanks both of you. My plan is now:

(1) try and use someone else's Win machine for just this job, or failing that
(2) XP via Parallels with virus protection

RB

Jarrad S
23rd August 2007, 04:48 PM
If you are setting up the IIS Server just setup the Parallels install that doesn't have an external IP but still obtains a DHCP IP from the Macbook.

This will allow you to test everything you need an allow IIS to run.

IIS, like Apache, can be accessed locally.