PDA

View Full Version : Sofware unlock for iPhone in less than 48hours

walexx
23rd August 2007, 02:36 PM
Hmmmmm, if this is legit, looks like the wait could finally be over. Check this out http://www.iphonesimfree.com/

The dev team said they will have a software solution out in about 2 weeks, but these guys are saying 48hours (well less now). I guess these guys are trying to get it out early to make a buck, as the dev team from what I understand will be releasing the software unlock codes for free.

decryption
23rd August 2007, 02:48 PM
Very interesting - I might buy one when the software hack comes out :D

chrism238
23rd August 2007, 02:50 PM
Hmmmmm, if this is legit, looks like the wait could finally be over. Check this out http://www.iphonesimfree.com/By the very definition of what this is - it cannot be legit, can it?

doofus
23rd August 2007, 02:52 PM
Nice, but couldn't apple just update software to fix hack?

walexx
23rd August 2007, 03:00 PM
By the very definition of what this is - it cannot be legit, can it?

Legit I meant as in 'will it actually work ?". Still, if it works, it will be awesome.

Doofus does raise an interesting point though, all Apple have to do it bring out an update that will 'close the crack' so to speak.

With new features bound to come out with future updates, it will be very difficult to hold back updating knowing that that could be the update the stops it working as a phone again.

Its worth a shot though. I sold my iphone 2 weeks ago for $200 bucks more than I paid for it, Im gonna get a refurub now which will save me another $100 U.S. and will hopefully be arriving very soon. Just in time for the unlock.

Oh, btw, according to 9to5mac.com the europe iPhone will be 3G !!!!!!

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 03:35 PM
I'll believe it when i see it.
I would really love an iPhone but im waiting till there is a australian 3g version no matter what happens.

DJY
23rd August 2007, 04:28 PM
I agree that even when they finally crack it open for full functionality (well ok almost full functionality as Visual Voicemail won't work else where)...

that all it will take is an Apple upgrade and it will be re-locked?
or even what happens when / if they DO release an iPhone here in Aust... would a current hacked iPhone then still work?

W9cae
23rd August 2007, 04:32 PM
Look at it this way with all the hacking folks are doing to new Apple stuff you don't hear anyone saying they are board & need something to keep them entertained.

iSlave
23rd August 2007, 04:37 PM
Reaks of scam.

marc
23rd August 2007, 05:07 PM
I'll believe it when i see it.
I would really love an iPhone but im waiting till there is a australian 3g version no matter what happens.
Same here.

As nice as a current iPhone would be, a 3G one will be much nicer.

peteryan7hao
23rd August 2007, 07:34 PM
the site is down...

spilla
23rd August 2007, 07:44 PM
the site is down...

Works fine for me on Internode. :)

Linux_insidev2
23rd August 2007, 07:58 PM
Works fine here.

I doubt the iPhone will be released in a 3G form for a while yet, there'd be a bit of tweaking to do - they can't just whack a 3G radio in there and have it automagically work.

I'm tempted to buy an iPhone now, but I think I'll wait for the aussie release because the number formatting is something that will piss me off (the iPhone currently formats numbers for the US phone system)

toholio
23rd August 2007, 08:53 PM
While were all waiting to see if someone does show a software method for unlocking the phone, the hardware method is being released: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/ (http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2007/08/its-release-time.html)

The interesting explanatory bit:

This method is very similar to the method used to unlock the Siemens phones with the S-Gold2 chipset. The S-Gold2 has a bootrom which allows you to download a bit of unsigned code. This code is run if certain flash addresses are blank. Using a little hardware trick, which I'll explain later, we make them appear blank. Then once we have unsigned code running on the baseband, we can download a modified firmware, with the unlock patched in, to the nor flash. The signature checks only cover this region while it is being downloaded the first time. Once the code is on the NOR we can do whatever we want. So patch out the PN lock; Voila, unlocked iPhone.

thebookfreak58
23rd August 2007, 09:20 PM
30min till they start live on IRC with the unlock.

Server: us.undernet.org
Channel: #iphone.unlock

grorr76
23rd August 2007, 09:21 PM
Very interesting - I might buy one when the software hack comes out :D

why i dont get it, just wait for the aussie version probably a gen 2 superior to the first gen. really dont get all this hacking on something so expensive.

nbetts
23rd August 2007, 09:29 PM
[quote=Linux_insidev2;343938]Works fine here.

I doubt the iPhone will be released in a 3G form for a while yet, there'd be a bit of tweaking to do - they can't just whack a 3G radio in there and have it automagically work.
quote]

There was a french research company who said basically the iPhone has a 3G chip onboard and would simply require a firmware update to enable it. They said this is why the iPhone actually is a breakthrough internet device as Steve promised...

decryption
23rd August 2007, 09:47 PM
why i dont get it, just wait for the aussie version probably a gen 2 superior to the first gen. really dont get all this hacking on something so expensive.

There's still no proof of a 3G version. Sure, one day, but when? Could be whole year! I'd rather have a 2.5G iPhone now than a 3G phone some time in the indefinite future :p

Tiprya
23rd August 2007, 10:33 PM
So did the unlock codes come out on IRC yet?

titan44
23rd August 2007, 10:35 PM
Nuh, shes a hardware mod at the moment ( and a tight solder job at that ).
Check Geohot blog for live updates.

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2007/08/its-release-time.html

Tiprya
23rd August 2007, 10:50 PM
Pfff

Wake me when theres free software unlocking

Actually... Don't - I might have to buy an iPhone

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 10:52 PM
Nuh, shes a hardware mod at the moment ( and a tight solder job at that ).

Just what you want to do with a nice new expensive iPhone ;)

toholio
23rd August 2007, 11:17 PM
Just what you want to do with a nice new expensive iPhone ;)

I'd imagine it'll very soon be possible to buy iPhones that have been "fixed" already.

Will take a while for prices to stabilise though. :(

iSlayer
23rd August 2007, 11:18 PM
I'd imagine it'll very soon be possible to buy iPhones that have been "fixed" already.

If they have the hardware mod then they have no apple warranty. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

mechcon
23rd August 2007, 11:37 PM
Notice how apple is very very silent about people hacking the iphones? I think they're paying close attention, and getting ideas/hints from the market...

Linux_insidev2
24th August 2007, 08:11 PM
Not only are apple silent, the said blog lacks certain key points that you'd need to complete it - like a download link to bbupload or how to extract the data from the NOR dump.

Linux_insidev2
24th August 2007, 08:14 PM
[quote=Linux_insidev2;343938]Works fine here.

quote]

There was a french research company who said basically the iPhone has a 3G chip onboard and would simply require a firmware update to enable it. They said this is why the iPhone actually is a breakthrough internet device as Steve promised...

The radio circuitry is an Infineon S-Gold2 and the amplifier circuitry is a skyworks GSM/EDGE compliant device so no, the iPhone does not already support 3G.

S-Gold2 Info : http://www.semiconductor.com/resources/reports_database/view_report.asp?pid=4245

titan44
24th August 2007, 08:30 PM
So, has anyone been game yet ?
Uberphone or new pet brick?