PDA

View Full Version : Another Boot Camp XP - Vista thread

step_andy
21st August 2007, 07:42 PM
I decided to get rid of Parallels and go Boot Camp path as I have no use for emulated Windoze. Only reason to use it is to play occasional game.
So... I have both - XP and Vista.
For some unknown reason I decided to install Vista instead of XP. Now it uses over 10GB of space without extra usability over XP.
I have MBO 2.2 with 128 Meg video card, so no Areo here. If there is any, I didn't notice anything.

After playing with it for a day, I think I will downgrade to XP. The question is - HOW?

I tried to use Bootcamp assistant to load XP over Vista, but it wouldn't.
I tried to boot of XP CD, but it wouldn't (holding C on boot)
I tried to launch XP install under Vista, but t would not let me install over it.
I tried to reformat partition using Disk Utility, but it does not offer NTSC or FAT option.

What do I do? Restore to 1 partition and repartition again?
:confused:

Disko
21st August 2007, 07:46 PM
:confused:Got it in one, mate. :thumbup:

andrew.wilson
21st August 2007, 07:59 PM
You got it mate.

Also, when installing XP with Boot Camp you won't need as much room. I have a touch over 5gig partioned for Windows, with like 800mb free and a over half a dozen games installed :thumbup:

Mysticmedia
23rd September 2007, 11:38 AM
Hi,
I have the same problem!
I have MacBook Pro 17" with 4GB ram. I need a portable for editing video and this is the first time I use Mac computer.
I need to have two OS (Mac + VISTA Ultimate) and I tryed parallel desktop. BUT it was a mistake.
Now I need to format everything, partition and install Mac OS X 10.4.9 on one partition and XP SP2 on the other. BUT sincerely I do not know how to do and get stuck...
Could you please help me to do it step by step?
Thank you very much.
Regards
Francesco

PS:
- Please excuse my english because I am Italian origin.
- I live in Brisbane South Bank in case some of you are living in Brisbane too

================================================== ======

I decided to get rid of Parallels and go Boot Camp path as I have no use for emulated Windoze. Only reason to use it is to play occasional game.
So... I have both - XP and Vista.
For some unknown reason I decided to install Vista instead of XP. Now it uses over 10GB of space without extra usability over XP.
I have MBO 2.2 with 128 Meg video card, so no Areo here. If there is any, I didn't notice anything.

After playing with it for a day, I think I will downgrade to XP. The question is - HOW?

I tried to use Bootcamp assistant to load XP over Vista, but it wouldn't.
I tried to boot of XP CD, but it wouldn't (holding C on boot)
I tried to launch XP install under Vista, but t would not let me install over it.
I tried to reformat partition using Disk Utility, but it does not offer NTSC or FAT option.

:confused:

Mysticmedia
23rd September 2007, 02:33 PM
Please please help me install XP sp2 on my MacBook Pro permanently!

I want both Mac OS x & XP sp2 on same HD.

How to get Boot camp?

Thank you very much.

zbaron
23rd September 2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

After installing you will run the Boot Camp Assistant (located in your Applications -> Utilities folder), which will burn a cd of Windows drivers for your MacBook Pro, guide you through creating a partition for Windows and then start the installation of Windows. You will need a Windows XP SP2 cd to install from, OEM and "system restore" discs will not work.

Ruotian
23rd September 2007, 04:28 PM
step_andy:

aero runs fine on my aging t43 with 64mb vram; the only reason I can think is your using vista basic, or not having aero theme enabled.

Aero runs beautifully on my mbp 17" SR.