PDA

View Full Version : Macbook and Shake?

Botox
20th August 2007, 01:33 PM
Hi all.

A student friend of mine needs to set himself up to learn Shake. He is thinking about getting a Macbook with extra RAM and HD capacity. According to Shake's system requirements. it should be ok, but what do others suggest?

Thanks in advance.

rickyd
20th August 2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.apple.com/shake/specs.html

Take a look at that..

I think the Pro would be better for the screen, graphics and HD, personally.

Disko
20th August 2007, 01:35 PM
A Macbook will run Shake like a Barina will pull a caravan.

It'll do the job, but there are other machines that'll do it much better. If it has to be a laptop, go for a Macbook Pro of some sort. The screen real estate alone is the big advantage. Then you've got faster specs, a GPU, etc.

Otherwise, go Mac Pro. ;)

rickyd
20th August 2007, 01:36 PM
Otherwise, go Mac Pro. ;)

From one extreme to the other!! :p

ilostmypassword
20th August 2007, 01:41 PM
From one extreme to the other!! :p

somehow - i think a macpro would be needed to do this http://www.apple.com/shake/customerstory.html

anything else would be beachball city

:D

soadaholic
20th August 2007, 01:43 PM
My Macbook Pro Runs it very well..

I suggest spending a little bit more and getting a Macbook Pro

ilostmypassword
20th August 2007, 01:48 PM
My Macbook Pro Runs it very well..

I suggest spending a little bit more and getting a Macbook Pro

.. thats a cheaper option.. good call.

visional_studios
20th August 2007, 03:10 PM
A Macbook will run Shake like a Barina will pull a caravan.

Just because its a 'Pro' app, doesn't mean you need 'Pro' hardware. Ive used shake 4 on old G4 laptops and it was fine. I'm assuming the guy will be learning on DV footage.

My girlfriend has a Rev A Macbook and it is quicker than using my dual G5. I do plug it into my 24" dell though.

Shake ran fine on old hardware. So it will run very well on new hardware, even if it is a macbook.

Working on a 13" screen will suck though.

Botox
20th August 2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Most appreciated!

timwallG5
20th August 2007, 08:10 PM
I have a MacBook - it runs anything I throw at it.
There is only a 0.06GHz difference between the 2.16GHz and 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU in the laptops; the NVidia graphics and slightly faster bus would be the only benefit. Otherwise you're paying an extra $800 for basically the same shit in a different case. RAM; HD; optical; all are the same.

I have used both models - I can't tell the difference. Both are very snappy.

If you want an affordable, faster option than both the MacBook and MacBook Pro - chose an iMac 2.4GHz or higher. They will run ANYTHING you throw at them and more (i.e. run Shake, FCP, Mail, Safari, Word, iTunes, DVD Studio Pro all at the same time without noticing a speed loss).