PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro shot!

serdar
18th August 2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Guys,
All of a sudden my MacBook pro shutdown last night and the sleep light started to flash (about twice a second?) - I tried restarting a few times but no go. I took the battery out and left it out for the night.

This morning it started up and I started to txfer my latest iTunes purchases when it went off again. Whatever I try, be it target mode, or boot from the install CD, is not working - the display is always off and the sleep light is flashing. Are there any other tricks before I take it to the Apple store? I'd especially like to get some of my latest documents off of it.

Thanks.

Brains
18th August 2007, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a thermal issue. I'd say there's not much chance of resuscitating it for long enough, sadly, short of giving it three hours to cool down. Take if off the the power and leave it in the coldest part of your house for a couple of hours, then try it in target mode again and get your most precious docs off it before it freezes again.

B.

serdar
18th August 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Brains, I'll give that a go - fingers crossed! (Can't wait for TimeMachine!)

serdar
18th August 2007, 11:24 PM
I did some further research on this and found that a similar issue can be had if there is problems with the RAM modules. I took out one of the chips and voila, it all worked. I reinserted the chip making sure that it was in nice and tight and ran an AHT which reported no problems. So I'm assuming that the module may not have been seated properly or maybe some dust or something interefered.

One question, I purchased the additional 1Gb memory module separately from the machine, had that been faulty will AppleCare cover that?