PDA

View Full Version : I think i'm paranoid - mobile phone sending sms

scruffie
17th August 2007, 09:54 PM
I'm with optus and everytime i change mobile phones (swap sim cards to another phone) it would send an sms to someone.
Its definitely not a phone issue cuz i have i've tried putting my sim in two nokias, two sony ericsson and one motorola and they all do the same.
What is it? Are they tagging me?

mini_Matt
17th August 2007, 10:38 PM
how do you know it's sending one just out of interest?

Georgina EG
17th August 2007, 10:45 PM
also are they random messages to random people?

scruffie
17th August 2007, 11:33 PM
Oh i know because after i turn on the phone, it would say 'sending message' or something like that. There's no message in my outbox or send folders. It just disappears - so i dont know what the message is about or where its going to.
Its very weird indeed. My nokia phone actually asks whether i want to send the message or not.

Starscream
17th August 2007, 11:58 PM
Sort of like mine.. but different. im with vodafone, and everyone time i power on my phone it tells me i have failed messages that havnt been sent, there is no traces of these 'messages' anywhere.

morgan
18th August 2007, 12:00 AM
MI5, run

Atomac
18th August 2007, 12:02 AM
...it would say 'sending message' or something like that.

I am with Optus and I have observed similar things on my phone, although seemingly at random times. I thought I was just imagining it as I could find no trace of the message.

I have a Sony Ericson T610. On which type(s) of phone have you observed this phenomenon?

Exocet
18th August 2007, 12:54 AM
I'm just speculating, but it may be the programming on the simcard notifying the network what model phone you're now using. Depending on the kind of browser your phone uses (Openwave, Sony-Ericsson, Nokia), certain switches have to be thrown at the network side to ensure WAP/MMS compatability. I'd say its just saving you a call to Optus.

benixau
18th August 2007, 03:31 AM
Phones communicate with the towers over allocated "control channels"

It just so happens that these control messages are far and few between. So, some really smart engineers decided to send these funky short text messages in the spare space. These days, those text messages are called SMS (MMS is not done like this).
Funnily enough, the control messages are still sent over these channels (who'd've thunk it!).
Odds, are that one part of your phone is talking to the tower and another part is recognising the messages (SMS are control messages that are tagged differently) being sent and telling you that something is happening.

tibook
18th August 2007, 07:13 AM
Hey There,

There's a good chance that you have sim backup enabled on the sim card (usually 3G sims) & that every time you change the sim it's just updating it's home details..

My 2c worth

Cheers:)

AusMac
18th August 2007, 07:45 AM
How else does your phone know you just drove into Toolebuc?

scruffie
18th August 2007, 07:21 PM
Hey There,

There's a good chance that you have sim backup enabled on the sim card (usually 3G sims) & that every time you change the sim it's just updating it's home details..

My 2c worth

Cheers:)

Oh thank you - i called up. Optus - you're completely right :)

Dubhousing
18th August 2007, 07:27 PM
Everybody here thinks you are paranoid

meinrosebud
18th August 2007, 09:07 PM
Everybody here thinks you are paranoid

Sh*t yeah! :p

darksplat
4th May 2008, 03:41 PM
Also Mystatus is another one to look out for

lexiistardustx
4th May 2008, 03:43 PM