PDA

View Full Version : changing dual display settings from dead powerbook screen

avolve
17th August 2007, 10:52 AM
A friend 'dropped' his powerbook and the screen is now dead. :(

His home insurance won't cover it as it was not 'listed' on the plan and is thus (un)covered by an exclusion :rolleyes:

It appears everything else is functioning, though he has display settings for 'dual' so he cant test this/use the powerbook.

I was hoping someone could let me know how he would change the settings to 'mirror' so he can use it until i can get a new display for him??

thanks
c.

[i have a WTB (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=340364) for this as well]

Brains
17th August 2007, 11:23 AM
He might not be able to enable Mirror Mode easily, but he should be able to put it into Presentation Mode.

Plug the laptop into the mains, and connect a USB mouse and keyboard. Power up the machine, and allow a couple of minutes for the OS to stabilise. Close the lid, which should put the PowerBook to sleep. Connect the external monitor to the sleeping laptop, then press the space-bar or click the mouse-button to wake the closed laptop up. The external screen should now fire up and be the primary display -- he can then open the laptop and use it normally.

Brains

avolve
17th August 2007, 11:36 AM
thanks - not sure why i had not thought of that considering i do it a couple times a week...