PDA

View Full Version : Need some help setting up SSH on iPhone

nbetts
16th August 2007, 05:49 PM
I have been trying to set up SSH on my iPhone and have been working through the tutorials but am getting stuck. I will need SSH for when my turbo sim arrives...

I was wondering if there is someone in Melbourne available to come and help me do this (Hawthorn). It is something i want to learn and i would like have a good lesson in it.

I am more than happy, and expecting, to pay someone to do this... lessons arent free!

Quamen
16th August 2007, 06:39 PM
Lemme get this straight...

You're willing to pay me to come over and play with your iPhone?

If you don't find someone then bring it along to the Melbourne Cocoaheads meeting on Thursday. I'm sure we'll be able to sort it out.

nbetts
16th August 2007, 06:56 PM
LOL yeah Quamen not a bad deal is it!, I doubt i can make the cocoaheads meeting on thursday as i will be working.

The reason i have resorted to potentially paying someone is i have tried to do it myself, and i am not bad at it. But once we get into terminal there is a lot of language i dont understand and its not the sort of thing i want to take wild stabs at :)

I have asked for help on some other forums but not found any so will bring in the professionals if i have to

Jedda
16th August 2007, 07:36 PM
I have been trying to set up SSH on my iPhone and have been working through the tutorials but am getting stuck. I will need SSH for when my turbo sim arrives...

I was wondering if there is someone in Melbourne available to come and help me do this (Hawthorn). It is something i want to learn and i would like have a good lesson in it.

I am more than happy, and expecting, to pay someone to do this... lessons arent free!

Why don't you install this:

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/

And then grab the OpenSSH package. This will do all the work for you.

nbetts
16th August 2007, 07:57 PM
ok i might give that a go

My end goal is 2 things. Install files to get Youtube up and running and install files to enable a turbo sim.

As i said though i would rather have some experienced help so i learn as i go along

Jedda
16th August 2007, 08:03 PM
ok i might give that a go

My end goal is 2 things. Install files to get Youtube up and running and install files to enable a turbo sim.

As i said though i would rather have some experienced help so i learn as i go along

Not to sound harsh, but it's the kind of thing where if you don't understand it, you shouldn't be doing it.

You are probably better going slowly, and learning as you go, rather than seeking outside help. If you do, and get stuck or in trouble down the track, you are screwed.

Best of luck.

nbetts
16th August 2007, 08:44 PM
which is why rather than fools with things myself i thought i would get an expert in.

I want youtube up and running and will need SSH by next week :)

I have done a fair bit of fiddling in the past in terminal installing and editing TAPS for my topfield and uploading EPG's etc

Once SSH is installed and Youtube is running i dont intend to do anything else...

titan44
16th August 2007, 08:49 PM
Not to sound harsh, but it's the kind of thing where if you don't understand it, you shouldn't be doing it.

You are probably better going slowly, and learning as you go, rather than seeking outside help. If you do, and get stuck or in trouble down the track, you are screwed.

Best of luck.

I agree, so you might as well sell me that Turbo Sim of yours, but is is second hand by this stage, so i'll be fair and give you $20 for it. :)

Keep us posted on how it's going, i won't be too far off iPhoning myself.

nbetts
16th August 2007, 08:58 PM
Tell 'im 'es dreamin luv

Quamen
17th August 2007, 11:36 AM
LOL yeah Quamen not a bad deal is it!, I doubt i can make the cocoaheads meeting on thursday as i will be working.

Well I am happy to have a stab at it.

PM me the details of which tutorials you've been trying and where things are going wrong. When you're available and where in Melbourne you are.

nbetts
17th August 2007, 12:39 PM
pm sent :)

Tiprya
18th August 2007, 04:15 PM
This walkthrough (http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/08/the_iphone_hacking_kit_step_by.php) might help

Seems well worded and relatively easy to follow

nbetts
18th August 2007, 10:50 PM
yes i have tried that. i have completed it (i think) and installed SSH.. but now i am trying to get some youtube files on via ssh and thats where is all falls over and i wont work..

Quamen
18th August 2007, 11:07 PM
I've been looking through the tutorials. When you say you think you have SSH up and running and the problem is getting youtube files onto the iPhone....

Can you SSH to the iPhone?

Does this bit work?

After the phone has rebooted the second time, we need to test to see if ssh is running. Any time you want to SSH into your iPhone, you must know the phone's IP address. On the phone, press Home, then Settings, then Wi-Fi, then look at the details for the network that you're connected to. You'll find the IP address in there.

In the Terminal window, type exit, to quit iPHUC.
Type ssh root@[iPhone's IP address]. For example ssh root@192.168.1.14.
The iPhone should respond with something like:

The authenticity of host '192.168.1.14 (192.168.1.14)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 5a:e4:fa:de:62:f6:9b:96:7f:3b:57:b1:76:21:77:d6.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

Type yes and hit return. When it asks for a password, enter dottie. By default, all iPhones have a password of dottie.

You should see a prompt like this:

-sh-3.2#

Congratulations! You've just installed an ssh client and ssh'd to your iPhone!

Enter ~. To exit ssh. If it continues to display the ssh prompt, try again.
,\

and if you have gotten that far have you installed SCP on the iPhone?

nbetts
19th August 2007, 08:56 AM
I can't get a Ssh connection, I'd say incorrect password for some reason. But I have followed all the directions to the letter

areal
19th August 2007, 11:06 PM
I have enabled SSH, installed the terminal, unlocked YouTube, and even installed a NES emulator. I followed the instructions here (http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/08/the_iphone_hacking_kit_step_by.php) and here (http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_making_you_tube_work.html) without any problems. My software version is 1.0.1. I can even take screenshots now. See?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1111/1170982476_3b8542190b_o.jpg

Anyway, nbetts, did you try to change the password at all? As it says above somewhere the default password is the same on every iPhone. What are you seeing when you try to SSH? The iPhone can't be sleeping either, so you may want to turn off the autolock and check the IP again.

Quamen
20th August 2007, 03:32 PM

The date for the second cocoaheads meeting just changed to Wednesday due to a booking issue. So if that means you can make it then I am sure there will be people there able to help you figure out what is going wrong.