PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading for a older Newbie

meinrosebud
13th August 2007, 01:51 PM
Dudes, I am going to give a G3 iMac Blueberry to my Dad to give his something else to do in his life (he's 77) and I would like to give him a decent guide to OS9 may I have some recommendations please?

Byrd
13th August 2007, 02:20 PM
Hi,

One of the "Idiots" or "Dummies" guides would be a good start, perhaps from a local library. I'd also suggest he attend a introductory computer course at a local neighbourhood centre.

Of course ... why OS 9? He would be starting out on an 8+ year old obsolete (and crash-prone!) OS, OS X would be a much better start and he can make comparisons with newer machines if he ever decides to upgrade. For the iMac 10.3.9 with 256MB+ RAM and a 20GB+ hard disk would be fine, for starters.

JB

kim jong il
13th August 2007, 05:14 PM
Hi,

One of the "Idiots" or "Dummies" guides would be a good start, perhaps from a local library. I'd also suggest he attend a introductory computer course at a local neighbourhood centre.

Of course ... why OS 9? He would be starting out on an 8+ year old obsolete (and crash-prone!) OS, OS X would be a much better start and he can make comparisons with newer machines if he ever decides to upgrade. For the iMac 10.3.9 with 256MB+ RAM and a 20GB+ hard disk would be fine, for starters.

JB

You'll find that your local library may well have a guide to OS X (or one that can be ordered in from a neighbouring one). In all probability it will be a guide for jaguar (10.2.x) but most of the fundamentals will be addressed (and apply to later versions) which is what a beginner will want most of all anyway.

PS. sign him up to MacTalk too. :)

Dubhousing
13th August 2007, 05:16 PM
PS. sign him up to Mactalk too. :)

Dunno about that - who of us can remember OS9?

Byrd
13th August 2007, 05:30 PM
Dubhousing: fortunately (or should that be unfortunately?) there are many still here that use OS 9 regularly, and don't consider it to be too crap. It's great on older machines and notebooks :D

JB

tempestas
15th August 2007, 09:13 AM
Dubhousing: fortunately (or should that be unfortunately?) there are many still here that use OS 9 regularly, and don't consider it to be too crap. It's great on older machines and notebooks :D

JB

Not to mention abandonware games and other positive blasts from the past - Hey even OS 8.6 supports USB

There are lots of older books that show up massively discounted in bookshops.

Anything by David Pogue, or Robin Williams or put out by PeachPit press is usually good. The original Mac Bible is a winner.

If you get stuck ask here again I'm sure some of us could part with an older reference for postage costs (I'd offer now but I need to check what I have)

stewiesno1
15th August 2007, 10:18 AM
I've got a foot in both camps here. I use OSX 6-8 hours a day but have a few older machines that I use OS9 on especially my print server connected to my plotter and still find it to be fine. I agree with Byrd though that with the max Ram in that machine ( 512mb ?) and a decent speed ( 7200 RPM ) HD OSX would give him a nicer Mac experience . Particularly after he has used the thing for a while and wants to print something then finding a newish OS9 compatible printer may be hard to find.
Stewie