PDA

View Full Version : Ram upgrade...now slower

sanoptic
13th August 2007, 01:47 PM
Hi.
I upgraded my new core duo2 macbook to 2 gig of ram but to me it seems slower.Opening programs like itunes,iphoto etc i see the beach ball spinning for quite a while.
The whole machine seems sluggish to respond.
Only reason i wanted 2 gig of ram is because i tend to open & use lots of programs at once.
The ram is installed correctly as system profiler shows the full amount of ram i.e 2 gig 667
The kit i bought is Corsair Mac memory.
I have now reinstalled the oem 2x512 ram & the machine is fast again.
Is my Corsair ram faulty or is this normal for Corsair VS ram.?

Thankyou

purana
13th August 2007, 01:51 PM
Not normal, as my same ram has no such issue. Could be indeed a problem dimm. What happens if you install only 1 of the new chips. ie. Run the system with a single 1gb chip installed. Same fault? If not, swap it. This will allow you to determine which one of the 2 chips just bought causes the issue if ran by themselves.

sanoptic
13th August 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,I will try 1 dimm at a time & see what happens.
I did not try that before as i thought you had to have 2 dimms for the machine to work.

Thanks again

meinrosebud
13th August 2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, sounds like you may have a defective dimm. Are they allegedly a matched pair?

sanoptic
13th August 2007, 02:05 PM
Yes i bought it as a 2gig kit so i assume its a matched pair,the numbers are the same on both sticks.
Thanks

purana
13th August 2007, 02:08 PM
Ideally you want 2 chips, but these systems will indeed run with just one. So do the test, confirm if either or both give issues.

You could also try running memory test using one of the tools available from macupdate.com to test each dimm on it's own.

meinrosebud
13th August 2007, 02:38 PM
Get on the phone and register a concern. They need to support you as you are their customer and word of mouth is a powerful thing. And no you should not have to re-install you operating system just because you have upgraded RAM.

Geoff3DMN
13th August 2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe the new ram isn't running in dual channel mode?

appman
13th August 2007, 03:06 PM
I would also suggest that you run the aple hardware test that came with the computer

sanoptic
13th August 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I tried 1 stick at a time & the computer runs great with either stick.,its only when i have both sticks installed it runs slow .
I will run the apple hardware test as soon as i work out how to do it [reading apple docs now]

Thanks again!

kim jong il
13th August 2007, 03:50 PM
Maybe the new ram isn't running in dual channel mode?

Is that even user controllable? I thought that all newer Macs (G5's and above) addressed banks of RAM simultaneously to provide greater RAM access bandwidth automatically.

meinrosebud
13th August 2007, 04:16 PM
Insert OSX Disk 1 and hold down 'D' during boot up... select english and you can test your hardware.

FBTN
14th August 2007, 09:14 AM
1. PC Rams
apple never use Corsair rams in their machine.

2. Contact Apple 133 622, buy "right" ram from them or contact your local Apple reseller (normally cheaper than apple), let them order rams from apple for you. (sometimes they'll try to sell cheap PC ram to you)

sanoptic
14th August 2007, 10:25 AM
Hi,
The Corsair 2gig kit i bought is for Apple Mac ,on the pack it says suitable for Macbook & Macbook pro.
Other users here have no problems with this ram.

Anyways i'm sending the ram back for an exchange even though Apple hardware test shows "no problems"

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!

purana
14th August 2007, 10:27 AM
1. PC Rams

No offense, but get a clue. Corsair have ram kits for Apple.. as per the poster stating above..

kim jong il
14th August 2007, 10:29 AM
@FBTN Apple may not use Corsair RAM in their machines but Corsair are generally considered a reputable manufacturer with a comprehensive range of RAM modules which are compliant with Apple specifications for CAS latency and speed. So long as it is compliant your computer can't know the difference.

purana
14th August 2007, 10:29 AM
Hi,
The Corsair 2gig kit i bought is for Apple Mac ,on the pack it says suitable for Macbook & Macbook pro.
Other users here have no problems with this ram.

Anyways i'm sending the ram back for an exchange even though Apple hardware test shows "no problems"

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!

Apple Hardware Test is useless, seriously.

How did you go about running them as single dimms, same issue or not?

sanoptic
14th August 2007, 11:34 AM
Hi,
Single use each sick works fine the machine is very fast,its just using both sticks when the slow down happens.
If the exchange ram i'm getting does not fix the problem I will have to assume theres something wrong with the computer & then i will send it to repair centre to get it checked/repaired.

Cheers

purana
14th August 2007, 11:54 AM
Certainly could end up being a system issue that is only apparent when each dimm slot has more then 1gb in each slot. Soon find out.

Currawong
14th August 2007, 12:29 PM
Corsair, since the Intel Macs came out, have had a bad reputation with their cheaper RAM. At first, it wouldn't work at all in Macs. Kingston or KingMax would be a better brand and just as cheap.

FBTN
14th August 2007, 01:25 PM
Apple using Samsung and Hynix these days. So they are best ram to go if you wanna upgrade your macs.

Linux_insidev2
14th August 2007, 01:38 PM
1. PC Rams

2. Contact Apple 133 622, buy "right" ram from them or contact your local Apple reseller (normally cheaper than apple), let them order rams from apple for you. (sometimes they'll try to sell cheap PC ram to you)

I have Corsair ValuSelect in my MacbookPro

Also, it's not Rams, the correct term is ram whether there is one or more sticks.

sanoptic
16th August 2007, 02:35 PM
Exchanged the Ram for a new set at my local computer shop,they said to bring the macbook in & they will fit the new ram at no charge.
Now the computer runs great & iam very pleased.

Thanks again for all the replies!

geektechnu
16th August 2007, 04:07 PM
Apple using Samsung and Hynix these days. So they are best ram to go if you wanna upgrade your macs.
Samsung and Hynix are two of the largest suppliers of OEM RAM. Take a look at any device with onboard RAM - chances are the RAM is either Hynix/Samsung/Micron/Infineon/Winbond.

In PC stores Samsung/Hynix RAM is generally called "generic RAM". This does not mean they are good/bad/best/worst. It is because these brands manufacture in huge volumes making them available cheaply (esp. to other hardware manufacturers).

Samsung/Hynix memory chips are often used in other brands of RAM as well. For example, the following brands are known to use the above mentioned brands of generic RAM:

- Kingston (Mostly Samsung & Winbond - known to use Hynix as well)
- Corsair (Mostly Samsung & Winbond - some Hynix)
- A-Data (Samsung & Winbond)
- GeIL (Mostly Hynix & Winbond)
- OCZ (A mix of many, if not all, brands)
... and pretty much any other brand of RAM you can name.