PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Case Cracks and Backlight Flicker?

alexc
13th August 2007, 12:44 PM
So not only am I having to take my Macbook back to get it's Battery swapped over, I've noticed a couple of other issues as well.

Case cracking a rear - thin cracks coming from around the bolts on the back.
Backlight flicker - it surges up and down in brightness from time to time.
So has anyone else had these problems? Have they been fixed under warranty by Apple?

There's plenty of talk on the Web about these issues - I'm just wondering if I'll need to 'fight' with my dealer to get them fixed?

al

Jedda
13th August 2007, 01:25 PM
So not only am I having to take my Macbook back to get it's Battery swapped over, I've noticed a couple of other issues as well.

Case cracking a rear - thin cracks coming from around the bolts on the back.
Backlight flicker - it surges up and down in brightness from time to time.
So has anyone else had these problems? Have they been fixed under warranty by Apple?

There's plenty of talk on the Web about these issues - I'm just wondering if I'll need to 'fight' with my dealer to get them fixed?

al

Please don't 'fight' with your dealer. They are doing the best they can working as an agent for Apple.

Have you had service performed on the unit before? If the back screws are too tight, they can crack the casing. Backlight flicker is a known issue, and generally results in a replacement inverter, however the service center will book it in for diagnosis.

halledise
13th August 2007, 01:28 PM
shouldn't have to fight anyone.

either dealer will send it off to Apple for repair under warranty or else you can make contact with apple direct on 133622 - they will ascertain the extent of the problem, issue you with a job # and a mailing label to your email addy, you then head into the local PO where an appropriate sized box in provided free of charge and your MB sails off to Apple repair fully insured.
you get a tracking ref # for the repair status and they send it back to you on completion.

having said all that - they may just say take it to your local Apple Reseller and he process the whole thing for you.

I'd be calling 133622 first up tho .................

ps - screen flicker is NOT normal on these babies

alexc
13th August 2007, 01:42 PM
Please don't 'fight' with your dealer. They are doing the best they can working as an agent for Apple.

Have you had service performed on the unit before? If the back screws are too tight, they can crack the casing. Backlight flicker is a known issue, and generally results in a replacement inverter, however the service center will book it in for diagnosis.

Well, I didnt mean Fight as such, just that Apple dont always recognise a problem with things, i.e. with Case Damage etc... and you it's not always possible to get things repaired under warranty at first.

It's a Refurb Unit with 2 months to run on it's warranty. Bought from the Apple Store.

alexc
13th August 2007, 01:43 PM
shouldn't have to fight anyone.

either dealer will send it off to Apple for repair under warranty or else you can make contact with apple direct on 133622 - they will ascertain the extent of the problem, issue you with a job # and a mailing label to your email addy, you then head into the local PO where an appropriate sized box in provided free of charge and your MB sails off to Apple repair fully insured.
you get a tracking ref # for the repair status and they send it back to you on completion.

having said all that - they may just say take it to your local Apple Reseller and he process the whole thing for you.

I'd be calling 133622 first up tho .................

ps - screen flicker is NOT normal on these babies

Really, You can ship it to them?

Is that if you have AppleCare extended warranty, or just normal warranty?

Al

halledise
13th August 2007, 09:14 PM
Really, You can ship it to them?

Is that if you have AppleCare extended warranty, or just normal warranty?

Al

warranty's warranty irrespective of length.

I'd call Apple as the 1st point of contact

Jedda
13th August 2007, 09:28 PM
warranty's warranty irrespective of length.

I'd call Apple as the 1st point of contact

Apple have no 'Mail-In' service in Australia.

All repairs are done under Apple Authorized Service Providers.

Mctastic
13th August 2007, 10:01 PM
yeah, ... take it to a service centre, .. they will need to escalate it .... via Apple Tech support... Tech support will ask for photos, ... all should go well. i submitted an identical case to Apple last week. the backlight flicker is 'becoming' pretty common. it relates to the inverter....

good luck!