PDA

View Full Version : MacBook curiosities

sanjay
9th August 2007, 04:22 PM
well i decided i may as well keep my macbook after watching jobs' latest apple special event and getting another glimpse of the future of mac OS and its constituents. :)

just a couple of things ive noticed with it though:

1. there is a very slight portion of the keyboard (top) casing on the left hand side of the keyboard that is beginning to seperate from the bottom casing - i only noticed it when plugging in a USB drive the other day - is this covered in my standard 12 month warranty? if so, i ought take it in to get the case fixed/a new case :D

2. i loaded up coconut battery and it said that my battery had done 100 cycles and only had ~50% health - that cant be right can it? my ibook (new battery due to the recall) battery has had about 50 cycles and coconut battery says i still have 100% health on that. would i be eligible for a replacement battery under the core duo macbook battery replacement program?

its curious what coconut battery is saying about my battery - i was running it for a good two hours with front row (what a gimmick :D) watching and streaming movie trailers, music etc, and at the end of that it still said i had about 40% battery remaining; but if i can get a new battery then i sure as well ought to. :)

decryption
9th August 2007, 04:28 PM
It's worth dropping it in to a service centre to get that stuff looked at, while it's still under warranty.

mac_man_luke
9th August 2007, 04:29 PM
give the battery a few good cycles eg full charge to turn off to calibrate the battery - lithiums dont really like getting flattened but for the OS/Stat software it needs to know its capacity

sanjay
9th August 2007, 04:34 PM
give the battery a few good cycles eg full charge to turn off to calibrate the battery - lithiums dont really like getting flattened but for the OS/Stat software it needs to know its capacity

alrighty will do that - and i guess try resetting the PMU or whatever its called? how do i do that? (searching will be no help if i dont know what it is i need to reset, im guessing its different from resetting the PRAM)

decryption - i work in retail and cant stand the douchebags who bring stuff back for warranty repair when it doesnt really need it or they know it isnt covered (like physical defects) - i dont want to burden the kind folks at next byte (kind of like, dont treat others how you wouldnt like to be treated :p) - because if physical defects arent covered in the warranty, theres no point bothering...hence why i asked the first question :D

jeremy_warnock
9th August 2007, 04:40 PM
sanjay to reset the PMU remove the power and battery and hold then hold the power button for 5 secs.

I just had my macbook top case replaced - it started to splinter, the guys at nextbyte in perth did it in a day and it was great service

sanjay
9th August 2007, 04:42 PM
what do you mean by 'splinter'?

jeremy_warnock
9th August 2007, 04:46 PM
there was a thin crack in the top of the palm rest which while waiting for the top case to arrive actually splintered away, leaving a small gap where you could see the gory insides.

Applecare nextbyte fixed it all up though

sanjay
9th August 2007, 04:49 PM
ah nice, if they fix that then they ought to fix the whole case seperation issue (as well as maybe the two tiny cracks ive found on the bottom of my macbook that wouldnt bother me if i knew they couldnt be fixed for free). :)

jeremy_warnock
9th August 2007, 04:54 PM
Id say case separation would be fixed no problems but as decryption said just take in and tell the guys about it

Repulse
9th August 2007, 05:19 PM
You could do a battery calibration if you wanted to - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284 - but I wouldn't bother since you shouldn't have a problem getting a new battery.

ilostmypassword
9th August 2007, 06:27 PM
Lucky no one splashed the cash to discover those faults on delivery ;)

sanjay
9th August 2007, 06:40 PM
Lucky no one splashed the cash to discover those faults on delivery ;)

what is it with you? if i noticed these things before selling it i wouldve got them recitified under warranty myself for the new owner. i dont have 100% positive feedback on ebay and overclockers because i swindle people.

as it so happens i only just noticed them; and ive already got people considering paying me my asking price for it who arent so vindictive and petty as you seem to be - so you missed out on the $899 macbook, go have a cry to someone who gives a damn, because its an even funnier prospect that you thought youd get it for $650 :rolleyes:

id rather buy a macbook for $1000 with 11 months warranty to get any problem fixed with it than get an out of warranty macbook for the same price off ebay or even off here which has/will develop small niggling faults like this with it anyway.

Peter Wells
9th August 2007, 07:01 PM
i got to macbooks right infornt of me, both "splintered", one 6 months old, the other 1 month old..

sanjay
9th August 2007, 07:11 PM
can someone post a pic of this 'splintering'? seems rather serious...