PDA

View Full Version : Who got iLife 08 today?

TheKeddi
9th August 2007, 12:01 PM
I got mine this morning after ordering it online last night.

Great delivery service!

And I must say I'M IMPRESSED!!!! :D

It's a wonderful upgrade and well worth every penny paid!!

I love the iPhoto printing options now too!

And iMovie?? Marvelous!!!

Anyone else have theirs yet?????

Heidi-Lee
9th August 2007, 12:03 PM
We did :) Orderd about 10am yesterday, delivered before I arrived at work at 9am. Very nice service.

kungfucamel
9th August 2007, 12:04 PM
got mine this morning too... sweet as

NORMANDY
9th August 2007, 12:12 PM
got mine this morning too... sweet as

I ordered at 630am yesterday.... still hasnt shipped :(

Angsty
9th August 2007, 12:25 PM
I got mine this morning after ordering it online last night.

No way!!:(

I ordered mine 2:04pm yesterday, still at "prepared for shipping stage"

Ang :confused:

sanjay
9th August 2007, 12:39 PM
anyone ordered iWork 08 yet?

susiegb
9th August 2007, 12:49 PM
Well, what I'm pissed off about is I got iLife 06 about 10 days ago!!! I'm hoping Apple will at least give me iLife 08 at a reduced price ... any thoughts? I mean, literally I ordered it the week before last and got it last week!!!

decryption
9th August 2007, 12:49 PM
I got iLife '08 today too :D
Haven't installed it yet though.

marc
9th August 2007, 12:51 PM
anyone ordered iWork 08 yet?
Yeah.

I downloaded the trial, then paid for the online serial number. Got it straight away!

The new iMovie looks brilliant, as does iPhoto. I'd definitely buy it if I used them more.

NORMANDY
9th August 2007, 12:52 PM
I got iLife '08 today too :D
Haven't installed it yet though.

correction.. MINE just shipped 10 mins ago... hopefully get it tommorow.... maybe cause I ordered the family pack it's taking longer to ship?

Heidi-Lee
9th August 2007, 12:56 PM
correction.. MINE just shipped 10 mins ago... hopefully get it tommorow.... maybe cause I ordered the family pack it's taking longer to ship?

Nope mine was a family pack as well

rpjallan
9th August 2007, 12:57 PM
And iMovie?? Marvelous!!!

I have seen loads of people 'round the net, including Apple discussion forums, saying the new iMovie is a real dud. A real backward step. Apparently if you upgrade from iLife '06 the only app that won't be replaced is the old iMovie HD...

areal
9th August 2007, 01:01 PM
I downloaded the trial, then paid for the online serial number. Got it straight away!

I should've thought of that before I ordered the box. Do you still get sent the DVD later if you do it this way?

NORMANDY
9th August 2007, 01:02 PM
I have seen loads of people 'round the net, including Apple discussion forums, saying the new iMovie is a real dud. A real backward step. Apparently if you upgrade from iLife '06 the only app that won't be replaced is the old iMovie HD...

yea just read a review of it.... I will be keeping my imovie 05 for when I dont want to get into final cut.... this new imovie looks like a total NOOB APP with very little control over sound tracks, and audio levels etc.. and all the other good things in imovie 05...

rickyd
9th August 2007, 01:04 PM
Does iLife 08 come with a trial disk of iWork still??

Ricky.

NORMANDY
9th August 2007, 01:08 PM

Ricky.

just download here http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

mechcon
9th August 2007, 01:21 PM
excellent.. with the change of events, ilife arrives to me sooner than end of the month! like 10th according to the pdf :D

Dante Kyar
9th August 2007, 01:33 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!! for those of u not happy with the new iMove, you mac stores the old iMovie in a folder called "iMovie (previous version)" in the applications folder.

I gotta say, i do love the new iLife. Also installing iWork now

TheKeddi
9th August 2007, 01:37 PM
Cool, thanks for that Nathanh!!!

Mine is in there, Good to know.

spargo
9th August 2007, 01:44 PM
So does it, or will it eventually work on a G4 running at say 1.5Ghz?

NoNames
9th August 2007, 01:54 PM
Ordered it yesterday afternoon, and it arrived this morning.

Well, it would have arrived this morning if there was someone there to get it. I'm picking it up after work.

Can't wait!

Oh, and I have a 1.6GHz G4, so I'm interested to see how it performs.

MacNut
9th August 2007, 02:00 PM
Ordered at 06:26am yesterday and still waiting to be shipped :(

rpjallan
9th August 2007, 02:19 PM
So does it, or will it eventually work on a G4 running at say 1.5Ghz?

Looks like you'll be able to use everything but iMovie - min spec 1.9GHz G5... At least you can still use to the old one...

NoNames
9th August 2007, 02:27 PM
I've never touched iMovie before, so this does not perturb me.

east
9th August 2007, 03:39 PM

i'm interested with the results too, i need iMovie 08 for my camcorder but if its sluggish on a PB G4 1.67, i might just stick with the old version.

rpjallan
9th August 2007, 03:44 PM
It appears that it won't even run on a G4...

NORMANDY
9th August 2007, 03:57 PM
I'm interested with the results too, i need iMovie 08 for my camcorder but if its sluggish on a PB G4 1.67, i might just stick with the old version.

sorry you will need to upgrade if you want to run latest imovie, as imovie 08 needs a G5 or intel to run.. and a fast G5 at that!.... 2Ghz or better really.

People I know who have tried to install in on powerbooks, say it just doesn't install at all.. even if you manually try and do it, it says your systems configuration does not meet minimum specifications to run this software.

I am sorry to say it looks like the G4's days are very numbered when it comes to running any new software from now on.

Angsty
9th August 2007, 04:47 PM
Yea... shipped this afternoon :)

Expecting a delivery at work tomorrow morning then......

Ang

BlowMeDown
9th August 2007, 05:20 PM
I have no use for iLife :)

aussiedeano
9th August 2007, 05:40 PM
Went to the store on Flinders St, not in till next week. I want one tomorrow! Any ideas? Still 2 weeks on website....

rickyd
9th August 2007, 05:58 PM
Can someone please tell me if it comes with a trial of iWork?

Thanks,
Ricky.

Lionman
9th August 2007, 06:07 PM
Mine arrived this afternoon. Was ordered yesterday afternoon. Pretty slick delivery! Just installing now..

halledise
9th August 2007, 06:09 PM

Ricky.

neh - you can download a 30-day trial from the Apple site - though it is in excess of 450mb!

my iWork '08 arrived at 9am in rural NSW after an order placed less than 24hrs before.
Big it up for the Apple Store Online

STK
9th August 2007, 06:28 PM
Note: You need to have latest OSX and Quicktime...for iLife and iWork 08..

Lionman
9th August 2007, 06:33 PM
Can someone please tell me if it comes with a trial of iWork?

Thanks,
Ricky.

Ricky, my (iLife '08) did come with a trial of iWork '08 in it's own sleeve inside the packaging. Not installed it yet, but will do shortly.

ilostmypassword
9th August 2007, 06:38 PM
Just ordered iLife - should arrive in a day or so :) I'm even tempted to setup .Mac for the first time.

I'm mainly interested in the iPhoto >>> iWeb >>> .Mac

Shame they don't do stand alone apps- but i suppose for $99 - WTF :D

gehenna
9th August 2007, 06:39 PM
yep i ordered mine yesterday (and iwork too) and they arrived at work today, heading in shortly when i pick up my gf from her work to pick them up

gbuikstra
9th August 2007, 06:58 PM
Orded my copy of ilife 08 and iwork 08 at 9:30am yesterday. It shipped at 4:00pm today, hopefully I should have it tomorrow morning.

smilne360
9th August 2007, 07:10 PM
Well, what I'm pissed off about is I got iLife 06 about 10 days ago!!! I'm hoping Apple will at least give me iLife 08 at a reduced price ... any thoughts? I mean, literally I ordered it the week before last and got it last week!!!

you can, its on the website for 9.95

purana
9th August 2007, 07:31 PM
Okay have the iLife 08 media now, will go about installing it on all 3 machines ;)

kakman
9th August 2007, 08:14 PM
jeez, i did the online serial number order and I'm still waiting, 24 hours later, for my 'Immediate' serial number. So far I've received an "Order acknowledgment" and a tax invoice but no stinkin' serial number. aaarrrgghhh.

/k

graemie
10th August 2007, 09:35 AM
I ordered yesterday at about 4.30pm, and at the moment it says "prepared for shipment". Dang, was hoping for delivery today based on some superfast experiences already posted, but Monday will have to do.

gehenna
10th August 2007, 09:35 AM
i ordered ilife first but received iwork first :) still waiting on ilife but expect it will be here shortly

mattmac
10th August 2007, 10:07 AM
I can't believe my dual 1.8ghz G5 is getting pushed back from new software already :(

iMovie Requires dual 2ghz or more!

Just downloaded Ilife trial we'll see how it goes.

NORMANDY
10th August 2007, 10:17 AM
I can't believe my dual 1.8ghz G5 is getting pushed back from new software already :(

you mean iwork?

mattmac
10th August 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah sorry, iwork :)

grorr76
10th August 2007, 10:51 AM
Just got ilife 08 today and am playing with iweb as we speak, and i have to say initial impressions are extremely good a fantastic upgrade.

gehenna
10th August 2007, 10:54 AM
i ordered ilife first but received iwork first :) still waiting on ilife but expect it will be here shortly

and ilife just walked in the door.

Top Marks Apple! Both orders placed on Wednesday! Deliveries on Thursday and Friday.

BRAVO!

ps if you've ordered iLife, and are considering iWork too...don't waste your bandwidth on the 400Mb iWork trial download - it comes with iLife on an installable CD.

again...BRAVO APPLE!

WonderBoy
10th August 2007, 11:11 AM

I agree. I even find no G4 support hard to believe considering PowerBook weren't discontinued all THAT long ago!

gehenna
10th August 2007, 11:13 AM
i don't see what you don't understand? a lot of the video and compression technologies available today weren't available in g4 and g5 days. video has come a long way in a very short period of time. the hardware in those older systems, even if they aren't "that" old, isn't designed to cater for what the new imovie is offering. at least you have the option of getting a version that is compatible with your machine and you're not being left out in the cold.

mattmac
10th August 2007, 11:41 AM
Is it just me or does the iWeb video load the leopard finder video? I'm interested to watch the iWeb.. getting close to buying iLife!!

http://www.apple.com/au/ilife/iweb/

smilne360
still wating....it arrived in adl at 2.37 this morning,

dosent look like ill have it till monday....

i jsut arrived..

WonderBoy
i don't see what you don't understand? a lot of the video and compression technologies available today weren't available in g4 and g5 days. video has come a long way in a very short period of time. the hardware in those older systems, even if they aren't "that" old, isn't designed to cater for what the new imovie is offering. at least you have the option of getting a version that is compatible with your machine and you're not being left out in the cold.

Right. So you're saying apart from faster clock speeds, there's also something in the latest processors that assist with the latest compression technologies?

graemie
10th August 2007, 01:29 PM
Is it just me or does the iWeb video load the leopard finder video? I'm interested to watch the iWeb.. getting close to buying iLife!!

http://www.apple.com/au/ilife/iweb/

It's not just you... It loads up the Leopard Finder movie for me too...

mattmac
10th August 2007, 01:29 PM
Haha its actually on all the pages I think ... hmm

gehenna
10th August 2007, 02:29 PM
Right. So you're saying apart from faster clock speeds, there's also something in the latest processors that assist with the latest compression technologies?

possibly not but your video card certainly would.

ninja
10th August 2007, 03:04 PM
Just ordered my iLife '08. It should arrive sometime next week.

Im so pleased with my will power. I was tossing and turning between upgrading to one of the new imacs, which would come with ilife or just buying the software and keeping my existing imac. A no-brainer for some but a hard choice for me.

Erwin
10th August 2007, 03:14 PM
I use iMovie a bit - is the 08 version of iMovie much better than 06? :) Any reviews/comparisons?

smilne360
10th August 2007, 03:20 PM
08 of anything is much much better :]-- details later..

im lovin' it ..

aeon
10th August 2007, 03:30 PM
you can, its on the website for 9.95

Where abouts is that?

Unless you mean this:

http://www.apple.com/au/ilife/uptodate

Which is $12.95 AUD, and only valid for people who bought their Mac after August 7th...

leon
10th August 2007, 04:06 PM
Here are my first impressions of iLife '08 on my Macbook (see sig)

iPhoto is much, much more responsive than the '06 version. The setting up of events is really nice and helps to reduce clutter. Load up time is about 1/2 of what I was getting with '06, with a library of about 3000 7MP pictures. I think that the events is helping this as the computer is not trying to display all of the photos at once.

iMovie '08 is really slow on the Macbook to load. When it was installed it searched the iPhoto library for videos (of which I have about 40 from my Canon G6 - mainly 640x480-10fps low quality stuff). Since adding these videos, every time you start iMovie it loads them up again which takes about 20 seconds. I would much prefer that the program just started, and if I want to see my imported iPhoto movies, then I should have to click a button to do so; not have the behaviour occur by default. I am still mucking around, so maybe there is a option to not load up your videos during startup.
I have to say that the ability to skim through your videos is fantastic. When I saw the keynote I thought it was just a bit of a gimmick, but I have already used it to find an exact spot on a video clip that I wanted to show someone.
As for handling 1080i HD video, a warning pops up and says that video performance will suffer greatly on my Macbook. Haven't plugged in a camera yet to check this, but its a little annoying as I have no problem playing Quicktime 1080p stuff on the Macbook.
I would have to say that this app would kill a G4.

iDVD has some really nice templates. Haven't done much more than just skim through them, but looks like a nice cosmetic update.

Never used iWeb or Garageband so I haven't installed them. Therefore no first impressions.

Erwin
10th August 2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for that insightful post. As an owner of a Black Macbook (2.0Ghz version) I'm wondering whether to stick with the 06 or go to 08 - bearing in mind all I use is iMovie. :)

Angsty
10th August 2007, 07:55 PM
*sigh*

Installed iLife 08 with no problems - BUT iDVD is borked :(

The first time I tried to open it, it got as far as 'installing themes', then it just quit on me. Now, the furthest I can get to is a flash of the 'start new project' screen - SOME of the times, then it disappears. Most other times the black triangle appears next to the icon for about 1 second, then goes away; not even a bounce!

Have re-booted several times - no luck
Have run software update and am up to date with all software.
MBP is well within spec to run the software

Any ideas?? I'm going to do the cliche Repair Permissions and re-install, but would appreciate any other suggestions?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

NORMANDY
10th August 2007, 08:01 PM
*sigh*

Installed iLife 08 with no problems - BUT iDVD is borked :(

The first time I tried to open it, it got as far as 'installing themes', then it just quit on me. Now, the furthest I can get to is a flash of the 'start new project' screen - SOME of the times, then it disappears. Most other times the black triangle appears next to the icon for about 1 second, then goes away; not even a bounce!

Have re-booted several times - no luck
Have run software update and am up to date with all software.
MBP is well within spec to run the software

Any ideas?? I'm going to do the cliche Repair Permissions and re-install, but would appreciate any other suggestions?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

ok... I WOULD delete all prefernces files... and all IDVD files... and reload IDVD from the DVD and try again...

applecollector
10th August 2007, 08:28 PM
iMovie keeps crashing for me.
I've had 2x crashes in like an hour.
+ this new version of iMovie is really hard to get used to.
Stupid designers making it even more complicated to learn.

Angsty
10th August 2007, 08:31 PM
ok... I WOULD delete all prefernces files... and all IDVD files... and reload IDVD from the DVD and try again...

OK, I did all that except delete the preference files. Off to do that right now :rolleyes:

rickyd
10th August 2007, 08:42 PM
TNT fucked my address up, so it'll be on Tuesday. Considering I ordered on Wednesday that's fucking pathetic.

Fuck you TNT...

kendals
10th August 2007, 08:50 PM
I'm waiting for the stupid DVD to arrive :(

Angsty
10th August 2007, 08:53 PM
OK, I did all that except delete the preference files. Off to do that right now :rolleyes:

*sigh*

Take 3 - nope - same problem :(

deleted prferences list, deleted previous version of idvd, emptied trash

Custom installation of idvd from iLife08 disc. All ok, although I did notice that the "idvd Extra Content Installer Script" took a lot longer than the 1 minutes it said it would to install.

After installing, double clicked on idvd icon. Got the window to select a project. Went with the "My Great DVD Project" name and location of desktop, then clicked OK. Starts to open, gets to "installing DVD themes" then crash. All subsequent attempt to re-start iDVD only get me a split second of the 'chose project' screen, then crash. *sigh*

Ok, so now for Take 4:
have deleted idvd from applications folder
deleted all idvd receipts from Library/application support, especially the themes preferences...
emptied rubbish bin
let's try it again....:confused:

Angsty
10th August 2007, 09:05 PM
*sigh*

Ok, so now for Take 4:
have deleted idvd from applications folder
deleted all idvd receipts from Library/application support, especially the themes preferences...
emptied rubbish bin
let's try it again....:confused:

Nope :(

this time I de-selected the iDVD extras content (themes from idvd 1-4) and installed just the plain vanilla iDVD.

Same problem - get as far as 'select dvd project', commence 'loading themes' then crash. Once again, noticed that it took several minutes for the DVD themes installer script to finish...

Yep, sums up my week so far...:(

NORMANDY
10th August 2007, 09:06 PM
Nope :(

this time I de-selected the iDVD extras content (themes from idvd 1-4) and installed just the plain vanilla iDVD.

Same problem - get as far as 'select dvd project', commence 'loading themes' then crash. Once again, noticed that it took several minutes for the DVD themes installer script to finish...

Yep, sums up my week so far...:(

create a new admin account.. and install it on that account and see what happens

in addition make sure all preferences in library, and your user name account library folders are all deleted... before starting.....

if that wont work.... get in touch with apple...

Angsty
10th August 2007, 09:19 PM
create a new admin account.. and install it on that account and see what happens

in addition make sure all preferences in library, and your user name account library folders are all deleted... before starting.....

if that wont work.... get in touch with apple...

I think I got it!

It IS the THEMES that's the culprit - the iDVD installer seems to be corrupting the installation of themes somewhere along the process.

Discussed at Apple Discussions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073493&tstart=0

Phew, I thought I'd have to get out the etch-a-sketch...:rolleyes:

gilligan911
10th August 2007, 09:27 PM
Mine arrived this morning - installed it when I got home from work. No probs at all on iMac G5 and MBP. Already uploaded a couple of sets of photos to a .mac web gallery and did a short movie of the kids which is on its way there as I type this - only took about ten minutes to throw together a three minute short.

I just love the gallery idea. Now grandparents can look through photos/videos at their leisure and download the ones they want to keep.

iMovie 08 is quite different to 06 but really easy to pick up. Ultimately it can't do as many things but suits the intended purpose - i.e. quick editing - pretty well.

The only limitation that is likely to bug me and see me drag out 06 is the lack of control over audio - no extract audio and harder to control timing and placement of audio effects than it was with the timeline in 06.

Haven't opened iWeb or iDVD yet and I have never used Garageband.

NORMANDY
11th August 2007, 08:10 AM
I think I got it!

It IS the THEMES that's the culprit - the iDVD installer seems to be corrupting the installation of themes somewhere along the process.

Discussed at Apple Discussions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073493&tstart=0

Phew, I thought I'd have to get out the etch-a-sketch...:rolleyes:

so what was your resolve, it seems there are two solutions.

AusMac
11th August 2007, 08:59 AM
had iLife since it appeared on the scene .. never used any of it.

aswitcher
11th August 2007, 09:19 AM
I am trying to get my tracking info for my iLife 08 - its 9:18am Saturday and everytime I got to the Apple Aus Store it gives me a "failed to open" error...

Ok, 4th time lucky - its now fine...weird

TonyK
11th August 2007, 09:37 AM
Received it very quickly from the Apple online store.

I like the update to iPhoto 7 but still no book printing in Australia. Driving me crazy.

Angsty
11th August 2007, 01:18 PM
so what was your resolve, it seems there are two solutions.

*nope* still cant get it to work and I've tried both options. I have trashed preferences, receipts and all manner of themes folders and re-installed at least 8 times so far.. I concede the ground for now :(

may just cave and wait for a possible software update - SOON I hope!

In the meantime, I'll just play with iMovie and Numbers

gehenna
11th August 2007, 01:19 PM
my first ever imovie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTr-D7zxvXs

pretty lame but man it was easy haha

NORMANDY
11th August 2007, 01:23 PM
*nope* still cant get it to work and I've tried both options. I have trashed preferences, receipts and all manner of themes folders and re-installed at least 8 times so far.. I concede the ground for now :(

may just cave and wait for a possible software update - SOON I hope!

In the meantime, I'll just play with iMovie and Numbers

**damm**

I would give Apple a call next week.. and get some resolve...

in the meantime.. ensure you create a new user ADMIN account... and delete all prefs and caches from not just the user library but the prime library files as well....

DJY
11th August 2007, 01:38 PM
Any sign of any resellers having stocks of this yet?

Disappointing that even individual orders from Apple online have been received...
but no resellers have any copies yet?!?!?!

The couple of resellers I spoke to said Apple Aust didn't have them yet either?!?!
Oh that's right - Apple only really cares about America...
forgot they don't really offer the same service other locations often until well after the fact.
(iPhoto book printing, iTunes TV and movies, iPhone... sigh)

TLCAUS
11th August 2007, 01:52 PM
yes i have rang 5 stores in melbourne this morning and they all had stock, just very limited quantities left as of midday.

aswitcher
11th August 2007, 01:56 PM
Off topic - Anyone seen the new wired Keyboards for sale?

DJY
12th August 2007, 09:44 AM
yes i have rang 5 stores in melbourne this morning and they all had stock, just very limited quantities left as of midday.

I rang three in Canberra - and no-one was expecting theirs until at least mid week...
so I'm in Melbourne for the day on Wed... so hoping to grab copies then from a reseller somewhere.

the_OM
12th August 2007, 12:55 PM
I got mine on Friday, but the disc is blemished and won't install garageband. Everything else works fine, and I just had to install iweb manually because the installer would hang on Garageband and then just say to try and reinstall because there were errors during the installation.
I spoke to Apple on Friday and they'll just send out a replacement and post bag to send this copy back. The guy on the phone was really helpful about it.

graemie
13th August 2007, 08:49 AM
I can't believe how many things have to happen there before it actually leaves in a truck!

http://www.madebydesign.com.au/misc/tnt_statushistory.jpg

Erwin
13th August 2007, 08:54 AM
iMovie 08 is quite different to 06 but really easy to pick up. Ultimately it can't do as many things but suits the intended purpose - i.e. quick editing - pretty well.

The only limitation that is likely to bug me and see me drag out 06 is the lack of control over audio - no extract audio and harder to control timing and placement of audio effects than it was with the timeline in 06.

Interesting - I don't think I will upgrade then.

jeremy_warnock
13th August 2007, 09:56 AM
Got it today, was delivered on friday after I left work

sikosis
13th August 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm waiting for the Family Pack.

I went to 4 different resellers on the weekend.

Mac 1 (Fort. Valley) has lots of single copies, Nextbyte (Brisbane) had sold 10 and 17 on back order, David Jones and Infinite Systems had no stock and had plenty of iLife 06 on sale for more than the current iLife ;)

graemie
13th August 2007, 03:29 PM
Woohoo! Just arrived. I'm backing up the HDD before I install just to be safe.

ilostmypassword
13th August 2007, 03:56 PM
Arrived this morning and I've been playing with it all day (yes i know... i have other work to do :)

Amazing is all i can say. Good on you Apple.

Bounce
13th August 2007, 05:06 PM
TNT fucked my address up, so it'll be on Tuesday. Considering I ordered on Wednesday that's fucking pathetic.

Fuck you TNT...

Say, i don't suppose your tracking info is similar to mine?

Electronically Lodged 09/08/2007 14:19:19 Sydney Mas. PRI
Collected-Cust Premises (CIT) 09/08/2007 15:06:33 Sydney Mas. PRI
Received in Depot 09/08/2007 19:19:48 Sydney Mas. PRI
Paperwork Printed at Depot 10/08/2007 05:03:09 Campbellfield (Melb)
Frt Recv off linehaul 10/08/2007 06:27:41 Campbellfield (Melb)
Paperwork Printed at Depot 10/08/2007 11:34:20 Campbellfield (Melb)
Paperwork Printed at Depot 10/08/2007 11:36:27 Campbellfield (Melb)
Held for Enquiry 10/08/2007 12:00:03 Campbellfield (Melb)
Ready for Re-Delivery 13/08/2007 05:52:28 Campbellfield (Melb)
Frt Recv off linehaul 13/08/2007 05:52:52 Campbellfield (Melb)
Agent Collected (Full) 13/08/2007 09:14:45 Campbellfield (Melb)
Agent Collected (Full) 13/08/2007 09:15:02 Campbellfield (Melb)
Frt Booked In for Dlvry 15/08/2007 10:00:00 Campbellfield (Melb)

Ridiculous. I'm only 30 minutes away from Campbellfield.

Dubhousing
13th August 2007, 05:15 PM
Got mine today. Have imovie 06 on one Mac for a project and am doing the same concurrently on another Mac with imovie 08. I prefer 06 but then I know stuff all about video (and I'm being paid for this job...).

I really like the cheesy garage band audition screen but the instrument choices don't match the sound (the punk guitar sounds like the Allman Brothers). Still, as ILMP said, good on you Apple.

Angsty
13th August 2007, 05:51 PM
Well, I've started the ball rolling...

I've lodged a complaint with Apple about the 'defective' iDVD that doesn't work and about the iMovie that is a totally different version from before, a de-scoped version to boot.

I have asked for a refund as a) the product is defective (iDVD) and b) the packaging did not advise me that iMovie had been de-scoped, that in fact is was a totally different product that calls itself "iMovie"; this did not enable me to make an informed choice about whether to purchase this product.

Got the guff about not being able to return opened software:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Australia/Images/salespolicies.html#yourrighttoreturn

So, now I've escalated it to a Customer Complaint and see what happens next. Will also read up on Trade Practices Act re returning software.

*sigh* what a sad and disappointing feeling - that its come to this....:( :( :(

kingkangkong
13th August 2007, 06:15 PM
just ordered iWorks and the wired KB.

the apple bloake on the phone is telling me that iLife is gonna take more than a week.

Thus I've decided to curb my spending and get iLife another time.

ilostmypassword
13th August 2007, 06:20 PM
lol .. you lot are so impatient :)

fompsweeva
13th August 2007, 07:34 PM

I've lodged a complaint with Apple about the 'defective' iDVD that doesn't work and about the iMovie that is a totally different version from before, a de-scoped version to boot.

I have asked for a refund as a) the product is defective (iDVD) and b) the packaging did not advise me that iMovie had been de-scoped, that in fact is was a totally different product that calls itself "iMovie"; this did not enable me to make an informed choice about whether to purchase this product.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Australia/Images/salespolicies.html#yourrighttoreturn

So, now I've escalated it to a Customer Complaint and see what happens next. Will also read up on Trade Practices Act re returning software.

Hey man,

What's with this defective iDVD comment? What's the actual issue with it?

grorr76
13th August 2007, 07:47 PM

what in gods name are you on about. anyone with any brains knew imovie had been re engineered from this site and nearly every other mac site online , dont think you have a leg to stand on.

As for idvd theres nothing wrong with it.
what a load on winging bs..

Jedda
13th August 2007, 07:50 PM

People like you make me a sad panda.

kingkangkong
13th August 2007, 08:11 PM
caveat emptor.

buying a wrong product. no case.

Angsty
14th August 2007, 01:10 AM
what in gods name are you on about. anyone with any brains knew imovie had been re engineered from this site and nearly every other mac site online , dont think you have a leg to stand on.

As for idvd theres nothing wrong with it.
what a load on winging bs..

Whats wrong with iDVD is that it doesn't work. I've tried all the usual tactics of repairing permissios, trashing preferences and receipts and the old themes folders, and re-installed ,and deleted, and re-installed etc.

I think I'm entitled to complain if the software I've purchased doesn't open and crashes each and every time I've tried to use it.

Re iMovie - re-enginereered, sure, de-scoped and lobotomised, no! Not able to import my current projects without losing music, transitions, titles, chapters and other effects, yes, that is a big problem for me!

If you can find me the information on the apple packaging that tells this information, then I'd concede the point and move on.

Ang

Angsty
14th August 2007, 01:14 AM
People like you make me a sad panda.

I'm an even sadder panda who feels that I was misled about the product. I have invested too much time on my current iMovie projects to lose it all with iMovie 7.

Even Apple concedes that there is a difference in products -> they'd made iMovie 6 a free download for iLife 08 users.

So, I bought it thinking I was getting better functionality for iMovie and iDVD, and I have neither as I can't use these programs and have reverted back to iLife 06.

Very, very sad Panda over here! :(

Angsty
14th August 2007, 01:18 AM
caveat emptor.

buying a wrong product. no case.

Sure, agree, so where on the packaging, or on the Apple store website did it tell me that I would lose all this functionality in iMovie? It told me about the amazing new iMovie and how quick and easy and wonderful it is, but, I can't import my current projects without losing all the work I've put into them.

Where did it warn me about that? If you can point that out to me, I'll concede the argument and move on....

:(

Angsty
14th August 2007, 01:23 AM
Hey man,

What's with this defective iDVD comment? What's the actual issue with it?

Um, it crashes each and every time I try to open it. That I have installed, re-installed and re-installed it several times now. That the Apple bulletin and advice doesn't get it working for me. That I'm really annoyed already that I've had to spend all of last week-end fiddling and repairing and deleting and re-installing, and still I can't get past the split-second glimpse of the "chose your DVD project" window.

So, from my experience so far, "it doesn't work"

First time in 20 years of using Apple computers and software that I have been left standing disappointed and frankly, gob-smacked at the negative experience so far... :(

aafuss
14th August 2007, 03:11 AM
Getting it today-anyone on the Gold Coast got a copy?

Dubhousing
14th August 2007, 08:57 AM
iDVD is a real dog. I installed ilife on my iMac and iDVD never opened once. I have followed all the workarounds I've found on the web but no joy. I later installed it on my Macbook Pro and managed to get it open but it is really flakey, quitting when I do things like delete buttons. I've never had software as unstable/unusable as this from Apple - I'm gobsmacked.

aafuss
14th August 2007, 09:03 PM
Next Byte and Domayne on the Gold coast-sold out, but I did get iWork.

ilostmypassword
14th August 2007, 09:19 PM
iDVD is a real dog. I installed ilife on my iMac and iDVD never opened once. I have followed all the workarounds I've found on the web but no joy. I later installed it on my Macbook Pro and managed to get it open but it is really flakey, quitting when I do things like delete buttons. I've never had software as unstable/unusable as this from Apple - I'm gobsmacked.

I had the icon bounce & glimpse and then quit. Reinstalled and is ok- but wow its laggy/ choppy as hell - like i'm on a 400mhz G4 with the RAM maxed out. For the record I'm using a mac pro with 4GB RAM :D... so WTF?

God only knows what it would be like on a iMac with 1GB RAM :confused:

Apple will surely release a patch for this dog :)

edit: looks like its "certain" templates - but still- on a mac pro? :confused:

Rodney9
14th August 2007, 09:25 PM
How do you think iLife 08 will run on my Mac Mini PPC G4 1.25 Ghz 1 GB w/ Tiger 10.4.10 ?
Anyone running it on a G4 ?

Rodney

grorr76
14th August 2007, 09:41 PM

works fine on my macbook pro

W9cae
14th August 2007, 09:47 PM
Rodney9 it runs like a champ on a G4 mini, do a google & you will find the info to make it work.