PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Deal. Seems Too Good To Be True

Comet
12th January 2004, 08:12 PM
I don't know but I was going through ebay just then looking for a powerbook, and came across some interesting too good to be true prices. Now, are these all scams that should be avoided? Can anyone shed me some light on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...4&category=4606 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780072944&category=4606)

decryption
12th January 2004, 08:25 PM
hahaha, I started a thread identical to this in the General Discussion forum :P

Catacaustic
3rd November 2004, 02:05 PM
You always have to be *VERY* carefull buying the high-ish end Apple hardware through eBay. I've had success and failures on there. I was lucky that the time I did loose out I kenw enough about DNS queries that I could find out the crooks details before he got wise ot it and changed them. The matters now with the police and they are going to get him from what I have seen so far.

On the other hand, I an now the proud owner of a 1.33GHz 17" Powerbook that I won on there a couple of weeks back. The big difference is that this one looked and felt alright in the listing and the information that I got form them and from eBay.

As always, the old saying of "if it looks to good to be true, is probably is" is a rule to live by!

decryption
3rd November 2004, 02:13 PM
Whoa, digging up a thread from Janurary, haha :)

Comet
3rd November 2004, 07:07 PM
Hehe. I can't believe I was actually considering taking the risk! :P

estoyloco
3rd November 2004, 07:45 PM
I usually have some spare time so i make them think im doing it.

Sent through all this bogus Western union numbers, just to play around.

I even started chatting with one once asking if he can let me in on the scam and take a cut. They are pretty stupid though... im sure if any of us did the scam it could work alot better. IE set a normal price, find peoples setup pics and use them.. these forums have enough hardware pics that i could sell, speakers, ipod, powerbooks, G5's, displays, iMacs etc etc.

We should start bombarding them with emails.. make a thread where people can post these auctions and then we can all email them pretending to be serious bidders.. only downside is they have some spam thing whereby if you email them once they have 10 of their friends emailing you with their "i provided capital for a blah blah blah" thing.

;)

thomas
3rd November 2004, 07:50 PM
Any ebay sale that says "Pre-approved buyers only, contact seller" or something similar is almost always a dud. ebay also say that if you participate in a sale such as this, they will have nothing to do with you when you end up with no computer and no money...

...better to spend the extra and either buy it new from an apple centre or from the apple store online

nick.h
3rd November 2004, 09:20 PM
Just so you know there is a eBay seller which always has a Apple G5 with all the extras including 23" HD Display or a 30" HD Display for $999.00

Its fake. The guy says on Im out of the country on business, but I will ship it to you etc. Just a scam.

wickeddigital
4th November 2004, 12:31 AM
Also keep this in mind: According to the Australian Trade Practices Act, manufactures warranty is legally void if any product is bought at an auction. This includes E-Bay Auctions, even if the product is new!

PyroVesten
4th November 2004, 05:47 AM
These are all auctions on hijacked accounts

They're all a load of crap. If they seem to good be true, they are. A sure sign is if the system is absolutely top of the line (includes an iPod, Cinema display etc with the package).

For the unaware, a hijacked account is an account with great positive feedback that has been hacked so people believe it's a reliable source.

Currawong
4th November 2004, 06:39 AM
Speaking of warranty voiding, i've noticed a number of Apple resellers auctioning their ex-demo and other stock on eBay, presumably to avoid having to deal with the warranty on them.

symean
4th November 2004, 07:16 AM
I've bought and sold a lot of Apple equipment on eBay, and you just have to remember the following:
1) If it's a ridiculously low price, it's dodgy. Like when someone lists a fully specced-up DP 2.5GHz with all the add-ons and 2 x 30" Cinema displays for $900. Yeah right...
2) Look at their eBay rating. Only buy expensive items from those with a high 'star' rating, and actually look at the feedback as well. If they're all from other eBay users who only have a rating of 1 or 0, this guy has probably just gotten his friends to give him good feedback to boost his rating...
3) Insist on seeing actual pictures of the item, not images they have just copied off Apple's web site. Also, look for an original description, again not just the text copied from Apple's specs page...
4) Ask questions, email the seller. Hell, you're going to spend a $1000 or more, ask all the questions you can think of! You can tell from their response whether they're giving you honest feedback or shovelling, er, you know...
5) Lastly and most importantly: unless you're sure it's not dodgy, either insist on picking the item up, or use an Escrow company for payment. The seller should have NO problem with this if you agree to pay the Escrow fee, which might be $50 on a $2000 purchase.

I have nearly gone through with a couple of purchases but backed out at the last minute do to one or more of the above reasons, and it has saved me big $$$.

*****AND PLEASE ALWAYS REPORT ANY DODGY ACTIVITY ON EBAY TO THE ADMINISTRATORS. THESE DODGY LOSERS SCREW IT UP FOR THE REST OF US*****

THENEXTBIGTHING
4th November 2004, 07:43 PM
i deal with ebay alot selling computers and such yeah u gotta be careful, but msot ebay user are good, not ever good member is as good as they seems i have had some real shockings ones where i left neg, feedback for no payer the email me going i will pay leave neg feedback, say all this shit to me abuse me say the sent payment up i rang the express post place and gave them the number not real, this person the changes there user id on ebay and email haha, yeah i have breen ripped before and ebay does real shit or if it's under a certain amount but yeah mose of the time u will have a great deal and great people out of 300 dealings only myabe 4 or 5 have been crappy