PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Hacked to Run NES!!!

Wally
7th August 2007, 03:10 PM
Topic says it all!

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/06/nes-emulator-on-the-iphone/

A bit of the article for those lazy ones

Wily programmer "stepwhite" has brought the InfoNES core onto the iPhone, along with Mario, Zelda, and all your favorite NES roms. As you can see, it's not quite done-- the emulator runs too slowly to be playable, and the controls are implemented with an actual controller image which, as the programmer says, "...while cute, sucks."

I don't know if theres any way to save states, either. Not a problem for Super Mario Bros., but Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy might be a little long to have all in one go. But it is awesome, and just amazing that we've already gotten to this level on the iPhone. At this rate, we may not even need an SDK.

Enjoy

iSlayer
7th August 2007, 03:16 PM
by far the coolest iphone hack so far. Hopefully someone will do emulators for other platforms (megadrive for example)

jeremy_warnock
7th August 2007, 03:27 PM
That is cool

The Fluffy Duck
7th August 2007, 03:44 PM
I still want "loco rocko" or a game like it on the iPhone with the acelaromiter. Drool....

Musky
7th August 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry, I LOVE video games but what is the fascination with getting NES games to run on bloody everything?

iSlayer
7th August 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry, I LOVE video games but what is the fascination with getting NES games to run on bloody everything?

still one of the best consoles ever made :)

Musky
7th August 2007, 04:05 PM
Nah, still don't get it. I was always more of a Wolf 3D man than a Mario man, although the Star Wars games on the SNES rocked :)

Sambo
7th August 2007, 05:52 PM
Think they will be able to get SNES emulators working too? Shouldn't be much harder, as it would easily have enough grunt to play.

iSlayer
7th August 2007, 06:28 PM
Think they will be able to get SNES emulators working too? Shouldn't be much harder, as it would easily have enough grunt to play.

I hope so. SNES games all rocked (even better then NES) so it would be great to get it going on the iPhone.

marc
7th August 2007, 06:43 PM
This is great, although I'm not sure how good a touch screen would be for NES games.

(and where's the Amiga emulator??!??!?!)

Byrd
7th August 2007, 07:08 PM
What sort of processor does the iPhone have? A comparable Windows Mobile device with 400+Mhz CPU plays NES games with sound + full frame rate, anything slower than this suffers.

JB

iSlayer
7th August 2007, 07:18 PM
What sort of processor does the iPhone have?

It uses an Samsung/ARM processor running at around 620mhz according to some sites.

iSlayer
8th August 2007, 06:17 AM
New version - http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/07/iphone-nes-fast-usable-totally-rewritten/

happyfrappy
9th August 2007, 04:04 PM
I hope so. SNES games all rocked (even better then NES) so it would be great to get it going on the iPhone.

I think it'll be harder to play SNES games since there were shoulder buttons for panning left/right in some action, sports and adventure games(Mario World, Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc). In the early days of SNES emulation, if you never memorized things in Mario World or Metroid from past experience it was a pain playing on a ghetto keyboard/limited button gamepad.

Byrd, there are tweaked/recoded NES emulators for best performance on lower clocked OMAP processors. The gap of performance of OMAP vs XScale on emulation can sometimes be up to 25% as XScale is all about speed and some developers mostly code for PDA devices(not phones)... as a WinMo developer I've leaned towards XScale on several personal projects & open source.

I'm still unsure if I'll move to a Treo 750($99 from at&t workplace promo w/o needing a data plan) and sell it for the iPhone :)

iSlayer
21st August 2007, 07:45 AM
RC1 is out now - http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/20/iphone-nes-emulator-reaches-release-candidate-1/