PDA

View Full Version : Installing OSX 10.4 from scratch

craigd
4th August 2007, 05:49 PM
guys i have had my macbook for around 2 weeks and I love it.

I dont have much info on there as yet so before I get loads of pics and stuff on there I wanted to perform a clean install so I know what to do should the situation arise for real.

Is it simply the case of putting in the 1st of the 2 included disks in and rebooting. Will it reformat and put the system to factory

Any help would be great

many thanks craig

purana
4th August 2007, 05:51 PM
It's easy, just follow the bouncing ball as they say.

stefanlod
4th August 2007, 06:25 PM
Everything's GUI - it's practically like installing an application on your hard drive. In that case, it might be a nice idea just to try booting off the install disc and take a look at what you can do off it.

vicmeldrew
4th August 2007, 06:39 PM
I strongly suggest you don't rush it. Look carefully for any options before moving to the next step.
The default install is the archive and install, which preserves any files you have created and 3rd party applications. You can choose to erase and install which will wipe the hard drive completely before installing by choosing the "options" option. I am writing this from memory but did it a few days ago on my new G4 PM. The next option is the "customise" option which is on the bottom left of the window. With this you can choose not to install various foreign languages and programs like Garageband, iMovie, etc and in doing so save space on your hard drive.

All the best.

Currawong
4th August 2007, 07:20 PM
In theory, you shouldn't have to ever re-install the system. However, it can tend to end up a lazy option for trouble-shooting. In very rare cases, it's fixed serious system problems (though knowing the actual cause would be more usual for future reference). You can also install the most recent "combo" updater from Apple (they offer, as well as point updates, a full combined updater that will update any version of 10.4, not just the most recent version) which will have most of the same effect.

Now, I need to get working on the "Troubleshooting Mac OS X" article...

iThinkMac
4th August 2007, 07:42 PM
Piece of cake, I've done it many times and it's certainly more user friendly that installing XP (not starting a war here!!!).

vicmeldrew
4th August 2007, 08:46 PM
As Currawong says, you'll need to update to the currently latest 10.4.10. Rather than just installing the updates in Software Update you can choose to keep the downloaded update packages. You can burn them to disc and delete from HD or just leave them on your HD in case you need to reinstall in future.

Apple menu > Software Update > Update > Install and keep package.

You'll find the packages (don't confuse them with receipts) in

Start up HD > Library > Packages

Software Update is also accessible in System Preferences.

craigd
4th August 2007, 09:12 PM
all done complete rebook and format of drive

Just wanted to be confident that it was poss now the system is not fully loaded

thanks for your advice:)