PDA

View Full Version : preference in desktop

inspiration27
3rd August 2007, 10:35 PM
hi,
Can i make any system preference in such a way -if am inserting any software cd or hardware to my mac book where it shows a new software cd or hardware device is connected to my macbook desktop .i tried installing 2 software cds but it doesnt shows anything in desktop instead getting installed in finder(when i go to finder and click them only the installed software and its components are seen but its not leading to completion of process.should it be coz its not compatible with any software cds like nokia or i-creative.?

Disko
3rd August 2007, 10:40 PM
Hmm.... I have no idea what you just said.

iPirate
3rd August 2007, 10:43 PM
It sounds like you expect Discs to autoplay in Mac like they do in Windows.

Sorry there, it looks like you're going to have to learn to point and click.

Generally there will be an installation application inside the CD... and if it was made by a nice Mac-using company, that file will be on the top level of the folder hierarchy of the Optical Disk.
Double click that installer application (it won't be "Install.exe" for sure) and run it.

Optogamut
3rd August 2007, 10:51 PM
bit confused, but for showing on the desktop, are you after this?

http://myskitch.com/optogamut/general-20070803-224957.jpg

inspiration27
3rd August 2007, 11:26 PM
i got it as u said.One more thing i inserted a i-creative software cd where it shows the cd-icon in desktop and finder ,when i click the cd -icon the software and its components in it are shown,but once the software cd is ejected all the software components are erased and not stored in the hard-disk.it happens with all software installation guide cds.All i want is to make them stay permanently in hard -disk after installation and not like erased when the cd is ejected.

ClockWork
3rd August 2007, 11:34 PM
i got it as u said.One more thing i inserted a i-creative software cd where it shows the cd-icon in desktop and finder ,when i click the cd -icon the software and its components in it are shown,but once the software cd is ejected all the software components are erased and not stored in the hard-disk.it happens with all software installation guide cds.All i want is to make them stay permanently in hard -disk after installation and not like erased when the cd is ejected.

That's because the software is stored on the CD. If you don't Install the software, it will remain on the CD.

I would strongly suggest taking a Mac OS X Introduction course with: Frequency IQ (http://frequency.com.au/iq/) - for an understanding on how to use a computer.

Suggest you make an appointment on Monday.

cheers,

cw

ClockWork
3rd August 2007, 11:51 PM
Note that English may not be inspiration27's first language, and inspiration27's 19th question here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=333037&postcount=3) - clearly shows he/she is not aquainted with double-clicking, or drag 'n drop functions, or even basic computer skills.

I believe that education is one of the most fundamental and vital gifts to all people, and inspiration27 is in dire need of primary computer education.

Inspiration27 - call: 02 8353 7200 - Monday morning - and talk to Frequency about Training in Mac OS X.

cw

kaisersozay
4th August 2007, 10:15 AM

Clockwork is correct with both his explanation and his suggestion.

Perhaps, inspiration27, you could try opening the CD on your Desktop
Drag the Application (.app suffix) to your Applications Folder (Click and hold to drag)
or, if it is an open box icon, double click it and follow the instructions.
Eject the CD
Reopen your Applications Folder and find the Application you just installed (it's that easy)
Double click it and decide if you want to keep the Icon in your Dock or not.

If that is not what you are trying to do, then an interpreter is an essential tool.

I have not read your other threads, so this may have been covered before. But what the hey.. I have come across Mac users of some experience who haven't realized this fundamental.